[comp.mail.sendmail] routing UUCP mail from internet

jgabriel@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Ing. J. Gabriel Ruiz P.) (06/22/91)

  Recently I saw a post about how I can route the .BITNET adresses
 to a BITNET gateway, I try a similar line to rout the .UUCP
 adresses ( I don't have the uucp software running in our host ),
 but It doesn't work, I add the following line to sendmail.cf:

R$*<@$+.UUCP>$*    $#tcp$@uunet.uu.net$:$1<@$2.UUCP>$3     route uucp

  Any idea about why this doesn't works?

--
Juan Gabriel Ruiz Pinto                   Internet:
Ing. Sistemas Electronicos                jgabriel@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx

In article <3488@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx> jgabriel@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Ing. J. Gabriel Ruiz P.) writes:
>R$*<@$+.UUCP>$*    $#tcp$@uunet.uu.net$:$1<@$2.UUCP>$3     route uucp
>
>  Any idea about why this doesn't works?

   No.

   Quite apart from the question of whether you should dump all UUCP mail
on UUNET, there is the question "In what way doesn't that work?  What
happens?  What kind of error reports do you get?"

   Remote mind reading is sometimes a little tricky.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (06/22/91)

rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu wrote:
>   Remote mind reading is sometimes a little tricky.

  Check out rswami.tar.Z on ftp.hindu.org, in pub/mental.
--
     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone

jcurran@bbn.com (John Curran) (06/23/91)

In article <3488@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx> jgabriel@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Ing. J. Gabriel Ruiz P.) writes:

>  Recently I saw a post about how I can route the .BITNET adresses
> to a BITNET gateway, I try a similar line to rout the .UUCP
> adresses ( I don't have the uucp software running in our host ),
> but It doesn't work, I add the following line to sendmail.cf:
>
>R$*<@$+.UUCP>$*    $#tcp$@uunet.uu.net$:$1<@$2.UUCP>$3     route uucp
>
>  Any idea about why this doesn't works?

  It should work. I'm presuming that you've changed your sendmail.cf before,
and that you restart/signalled/refroze as appropriate.  Now some comments:

  o UUNET does not provide a uucp gateway service for the general public;
      they run it for their customers.  This means you can/may/will be shut
      off at any time.

  o A more common method to handle this is to find a well-connected uucp site
      in your area, and ask them if they'll handle your uucp traffic. I'd
      check with your network provider and go from there..

  o If you must "drop" your mail off on another site, make sure you choose
      one which wants mail connections. uunet.uu.net doesn't, it has explicit
      MX records directing connections elsewhere.

/John
      looking

bob@snuffy.uucp (Bob Smith) (06/28/91)

In article <3488@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx> jgabriel@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Ing. J. Gabriel Ruiz P.) writes:

>  Recently I saw a post about how I can route the .BITNET adresses
>  to a BITNET gateway, I try a similar line to rout the .UUCP
>  adresses ( I don't have the uucp software running in our host ),
>  but It doesn't work, I add the following line to sendmail.cf:
>
> R$*<@$+.UUCP>$*    $#tcp$@uunet.uu.net$:$1<@$2.UUCP>$3     route uucp
>
>   Any idea about why this doesn't works?

R$*<@$+.UUCP>$*   $#tcp $@uunet.uu.net $:$1<@$2.UUCP>$3   route uucp
                ^      ^              ^                 ^
               tab    ^^^            ^^^               tab
                     space          space

I think you want the spaces where indicated, and make sure the other
'white' space are tabs.  At least that's what works for me.

--
 \ Bob Smith         \________________________________________
  \ 835 Mammoth Rd.   \ uucp: ...!wang.com!snuffy.uucp!bob

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (06/28/91)

bob@snuffy.uucp wrote:
>R$*<@$+.UUCP>$*   $#tcp $@uunet.uu.net $:$1<@$2.UUCP>$3   route uucp

Only use this particular one, however, if you're a customer of UUNet.

For example, if you're in PA, you could probably send it thru me with:
R$*<@$+.UUCP>$*   $#tcp $@cs.widener.edu $:$1<@$2.UUCP>$3   route uucp

--
     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone
Top Ten Surprises in Rocky V -- Number 5, Loveable Character Chewbacca Dies