[comp.mail.sendmail] User setting From: address in sendmail input

fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu (Frank Peters) (06/20/91)

A user just noticed that he can put any from address into the From:
header of a file and pipe it to /usr/lib/sendmail and have that address
appear in the From field of the delivered message.  The unix From header
has the correct address (if it is present).

I realize how easy it is to spoof via smtp.  But I would have thought this
case would be coverend under the sendmail.cf trusted user declarations.

This is the sendmail as shipped with SunOS 4.1.1.  Is there some way to
prevent this?

Frank
--
Frank Peters   Internet:  fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu         Bitnet:  FWP1@MsState
               Phone:     (601)325-2942               FAX:     (601)325-8921

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (06/20/91)

In article <FWP1.91Jun19183837@Jester.CC.MsState.Edu> fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu
(Frank Peters) writes:
> A user just noticed that he can put any from address into the From:
> header of a file and pipe it to /usr/lib/sendmail and have that address
> appear in the From field of the delivered message.  The unix From header
> has the correct address (if it is present).
>
> I realize how easy it is to spoof via smtp.  But I would have thought this
> case would be coverend under the sendmail.cf trusted user declarations.
>
> This is the sendmail as shipped with SunOS 4.1.1.  Is there some way to
> prevent this?

  I noticed that the sendmail as shipped out by NeXT also has this "feature."
Great security hazard. I see now why Cornell now warns people to not believe
any e-mail from root asking folk to change their passwords to certain
words.....

   - Jiro Nakamura
     jiro@shaman.com

--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			+1 607 277-1440 Voice/Fax/Data

In article <FWP1.91Jun19183837@Jester.CC.MsState.Edu> fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu (Frank Peters) writes:
>A user just noticed that he can put any from address into the From:
>header of a file and pipe it to /usr/lib/sendmail and have that address
>appear in the From field of the delivered message.  The unix From header
>has the correct address (if it is present).

 What is the big deal?

 This is supposed to be part of the design.

 The intention (if you look at RFC822) is that the 'From:' header is supposed
to reflect the author of the message.  The SMTP envelope address, or in its
absence, the 'Sender:' header, are supposed to reflect the identity of the
person who transmitted the message.

 What is the difference between this and ordinary paper mail.  There you
can put any address you like, but the post office postmark will reflect where
it was really sent from.

 One perfectly reasonable use might be that you are moving to a new address,
so you put your new email address on the 'From:' header, while the Unix
'From ' line contains the SMTP address reflecting where the message really
originated.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.022606.1680@shaman.com> jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:

> In article <FWP1.91Jun19183837@Jester.CC.MsState.Edu> fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu
> (Frank Peters) writes:
>> I realize how easy it is to spoof via smtp.  But I would have thought this
>> case would be coverend under the sendmail.cf trusted user declarations.

>  Great security hazard.

It is true the SunOS sendmail has this bug (allowing anyone to be
trusted). We use this bug to work aroung another bug when sending
mail inside GNU emacs. But since it doesn't *add* any additial security
hazard, it's not that much of a problem - security wise.
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crdgw1.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) (06/22/91)

SMTP/Sendmail has never guaranteed even the simplest level of
authentication.  If you want that, use privacy enhanced mail.
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@turbo.bio.net]

per@erix.ericsson.se (Per Hedeland) (06/30/91)

In article <BARNETT.91Jun21093917@grymoire.crd.ge.com>
barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) writes:
>It is true the SunOS sendmail has this bug (allowing anyone to be
>trusted). We use this bug to work aroung another bug when sending
>mail inside GNU emacs.

Well, SunOS sendmail does have the bug that anyone is "trusted", but
only if you use the OR option - and I wouldn't say it's the most serious
bug that OR brings along, the one with mail inside GNU emacs is another
of them...

But anyway, that's not relevant to allowing users to set the From:
address, which I believe most sendmails do (I'm sure Neil Rickert has
pointed this out already:-), "trusted" users are those who are allowed
to set the *envelope* sender, i.e. what is seen at the recipient end as
From_ or Return-Path:.

--Per Hedeland
per@erix.ericsson.se  or
per%erix.ericsson.se@sunic.sunet.se  or