[comp.mail.sendmail] Problems with sendmail-5.65c+IDA 1.4.4

fingerhu@ircam.fr (Michel Fingerhut) (06/30/91)

1.  NIS (YP) databases do not work correctly under Ultrix 4.1 (DEC/MIPS).
    Reason: last character of matched value as returned from yp_match is
    chopped off in daemon.c.  Suggested fix:

------- daemon.c -------
*** /tmp/da6850	Sun Jun 30 10:28:32 1991
--- daemon.c	Sun Jun 30 10:27:20 1991
***************
*** 921,929 ****
--- 921,931 ----
  		    yp_match(yp_domain, &db->db_name[1], lowkey,
  		    strlen(key), &result.dptr, &result.dsize) != 0)
  			result.dptr = NULL;
+ #ifdef sun
  		else
  			/* smash newline */
  			result.dptr[result.dsize--] = '\0';
+ #endif
  	}
  	else
  	{

2.  When a .forward file exists in the addressee's home dir, mail is sent both
    the the forwarding address(es) and to the addressee (which is incorrect, the
    addressee should not receive a copy unless specifically mentioned).  This
    has something to do with the newly introduced QSELFREF bit, but I have not
    figured a fix yet.

3.  newaliases is executable by *any* user, no matter what the permissions on
    the aliases and aliases.{dir,pag} files are.

Michael

wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) (07/01/91)

>3.  newaliases is executable by *any* user, no matter what the permissions on
>    the aliases and aliases.{dir,pag} files are.

Why is this a problem?  If users can't edit the aliases file, they
can't do any damage with newaliases -- just make sure the database
is up-to-date.

Bill Wisner <wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU> Gryphon Gang Saratoga CA 95070

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (07/01/91)

wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
>>3.  newaliases is executable by *any* user, no matter what the permissions on
>>    the aliases and aliases.{dir,pag} files are.
>Why is this a problem?  If users can't edit the aliases file, they
>can't do any damage with newaliases -- just make sure the database
>is up-to-date.

Actually, it allows a denial-of-service attack by a user on your
machine, during which mail will not flow, and after which, your load
average will skyrocket.  Not too serious as such things go, but it can
be REAL annoying.
	- Brian

In article <36658@ucsd.Edu> brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
>wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
>>>3.  newaliases is executable by *any* user, no matter what the permissions on
>>>    the aliases and aliases.{dir,pag} files are.
>>Why is this a problem?  If users can't edit the aliases file, they

>Actually, it allows a denial-of-service attack by a user on your
>machine, during which mail will not flow, and after which, your load
>average will skyrocket.  Not too serious as such things go, but it can
>be REAL annoying.

 You can remove the 'newaliases' command, or make it a shell script that
prints a message if invoked by anyone other than root.  This stops the
casual user who is thinking "I wonder what that command will do?"
Of course it doesn't stop the determined person who really wants to do
so from slowing down your mail processing - but only once :-).

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940