[comp.binaries.apple2] BLU 2.28 Documentation

nakada@husc7.HARVARD.EDU (Paul Nakada) (04/14/88)

Date:         MON, 29 Feb 1988 01:07:45 EST
Sender:       Apple II List <APPLE2-L@BROWNVM>
Comments:     Resent-From: Christopher Chung <CHRIS@BROWNVM>
Comments:     Originally-From: cmcl2!dasys1!patth (Patt Haring)
From:         Christopher Chung <CHRIS@BROWNVM>
Subject:      BLU V2.28 Documentation

am is FREEWARE.  You can distribute BLU freely, just don't
sell it.  I do ask that you make sure that this doc file is made
available with the program.  You are under no obligation to pay
anything for BLU.

However, if you like this program and want to show your appreciation
I do accept gratuities.  If you send me $10.00 I will send you the
latest version of BLU and some of my other programs that I have written.
The $10.00 will also entitle you to 1 free update that will
be AUTOMATICALLY mailed to you when I update BLU again.  This way I
make a little money and you do not have to spend the money downloading
the updates.  After the first mailing and the free update I will
continue to mail out updates, but I will include a bill for $5.00
to cover disk and shipping costs.  This way you will always have
the most current versions.  I will do all mail outs before I upload
them to any source.  You will find that in the long run this method
will be cheaper for you than the connect charges would be for
downloading this program.  My address is:

                        Floyd Zink, Jr.
                        P.O. Box 060069
                        Palm Bay, FL  32906

I repeat YOU ARE UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO PAY ANYTHING FOR BLU, but if
you want me to continue to provide programs in this manner than support
the cause and send in the $10.  Thanks.

Features
--------

    1)  Catalogs disks

    2)  Makes Binary II files

    3)  Unsqueezes files

    4)  Extracts individual files from a Binary II file

    5)  Lists the contents of a Binary II file

    6)  Deletes files

The Menu
--------

You can select a menu item by either the first letter in the item or
by using the arrow keys to move the inverse bar to your selection and
then pressing return.  You will be returned to the menu after all
processing is done.

By pressing OA-? or OA-/ from the main menu one can view a help
screen listing the commands.

Selecting Files To Be Processed
-------------------------------

After making your menu selection you will be prompted for a source
directory name and where necessary a destination pathname or target
directory.  You can use the TAB key to skip to the next '/' in the
pathname shown or OA-TAB to back up to the previous '/'.  The DELETE
key will delete characters and the <-- --> keys will backspace and
move the cursor forward.  When prompted for a destination PATHNAME
be sure and enter a pathname for a file not a directory.

After the directory(s) are selected a catalog of the source directory
will be displayed.  Using the up, down, left and right arrows will
move the inverse bar accordingly.  Pressing the space bar will toggle
a file for normal selection and will display a checkmark next to the
name.  The 'S' key will toggle a file to be squeezed when added to the
Binary II file and will display a '$' next to the name.  OA-space or
control-a will toggle all the normal items and OA-S will toggle all
the squeezed items.  Pressing return will start the processing using
the selected filenames.

Pressing OA-D when selecting the files will cause ALL the files and
sub-dirs to be squeezed and all subsequent files and sub-dirs contained
within them.  You could use this to sqz a WHOLE disk if you wanted.

BLU does not support disk swapping so if you only have one 5.25" floppy
disk drive and you get a "Not enough disk space" error you will not
lect
files though you still have to press return to start the process after
the files are selected.

Holding down the OA (open apple) key when pressing the mouse button
will toggle the file for squeezing.  Holding down the CA (closed apple,
option on the gs) when pressing the mouse button will act just like
pressing return does - it will start the processing.

The sensitivity of the mouse is at location $204B when the program
is in memory.  This is the $4B byte after the beginning of the program.
It is currently set at $08.  This means the mouse must move 8 increments
to move inverse bar.  If you want to change this use a block editor or
from the basic prompt enter:

CALL-151   ;enter monitor
BLOAD BLU,TSYS,A$2000  ;load file
204B:XX    ;XX being the new value. Higher value=lesser sensitivity.
BSAVE BLU,TSYS,A$2000  ;save file
^C         ;back to basic

Making Binary II Files
----------------------

You can use the Destination pathname to pick which directory or disk
the Binary II file is placed.

BLU will display all the sub-directories that are selected and allow
you to select files from them unless of course you use OA-D which
will select them all automatically.

BLU adds an extension of '.QQ' to the original filename to form the
squeezed filename within the Binary II file.  So if your TC program
auto-unpacks Binary II files that contains squeezed members and is
not able to turn this option off then you will have a bunch of files
on your disk with the '.QQ' suffix.  You can use the "Unsqueeze files"
option to unsqueeze these particular files.
are encoded as value, DLE, count for counts that are greater or
equal to 3.  On the second translation it developes a binary tree
representing the decoding information for a variable length bit
string code for each input byte.  Each string's length is in inverse
proportion to its frequency of appearance in the incoming data stream.
Decoding information is included in the squeezed file, so squeezing
short files or files with uniformly distributed byte values will
actually increase the size.

Special thanks to Don Elton for the donation of his SQ/USQ source code
to the Public Domain.  I adapted these routines to speed up the
processing of squeezing and un-squeezing files and to fix a bug that
sometimes caused large files to squeeze incorrectly.  There also had
to be some changes to integrate the routines into BLU.  The core of the
algorithms though are basically unchanged from Don's source.

Un-squeezing Files
------------------

The squeezed file is un-squeezed to the original file's name.  If this
name already exists then BLU overwrites it.

Extracting from Binary II Files
-------------------------------

BLU will NOT overwrite any files, except the above.  If there is a
duplicate file then BLU will add an extension of '.n' to the filename.
You can then rename the file when you are done with BLU.

BLU checks available disk space to make sure there is enough room for
all the files.  If there is insufficient space then the program will
issue an error message and exit back to the main menu.  It will not
extract any files unless there is enough space.

Squeezed files within the Binary II file will be AUTOMATICALLY
unsqueezed when extracted.  You do NOT have to use the USQ function
from the main menu to unsqueeze bny files.  If the files were
squeezed separately first and then made into a Binary II file BLU will
still unsqueeze them automatically as long as the files have a suffix
of '.QQ'.

Deleting Files
--------------

BLU will not delete locked files.

Final Words

If you encounter any bugs or come up with a suggestion on improving the
program please let me know.

Floyd Zink, Jr.
 __
|     Paul Nakada  '89   #8-)  |
      North House              | ihnp4!think\   nakada@husc4.HARVARD.EDU
      Harvard College          |       seismo>!harvard!husc4!nakada.UUCP
      Cambridge, MA  02138     |     rutgers/   nakada@husc4.BITNET
      617/498-6263 || 7110     |                                         __|