[net.games.trivia] First Black Baseball Player

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (11/04/85)

Who was the first black ballplayer?  My history books and my instinct
tells me the obvious answer: Jackie Robinson.

Why then does Trivial Pursuit say that it was some other guy?  Has
everybody else seen that question?  The answer is some other guy
whose name escapes me, but whom I had never heard of.

Is that just one of their blunders, or is there more going on here
than I know about?

--Evan Marcus
--
{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

Who messed with my anti-paranoia shot?

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (11/05/85)

>Who was the first black ballplayer?  My history books and my instinct
>tells me the obvious answer: Jackie Robinson.

>Why then does Trivial Pursuit say that it was some other guy?  Has
>everybody else seen that question?  The answer is some other guy
>whose name escapes me, but whom I had never heard of.

If it is Larry Doby, it refers to the first black in the American
League.  Otherwise, it may refer to the first black to play pro
baseball in the minors (I forget who that was, but I don't think
he ever made it to the major leagues).
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"All these corridors look the same to me!"  Who said it, what story?

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (11/05/85)

--
> Who was the first black ballplayer?  My history books and my instinct
> tells me the obvious answer: Jackie Robinson.
>
> Why then does Trivial Pursuit say that it was some other guy?

While on this subject, who was the first Hispanic major-leaguer?
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

citrin@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Wayne Citrin) (11/06/85)

Back in the 1800's, at least one black ballplayer was signed by a major league
team and played in games.  Apparently they were little noted at the time and
were quickly forgotten.  I don't remember the name(s), but I believe that
the teams in they played for were not in the National League, but were either
in the American Association or the Union Association.

Some baseball historian out there should be able to help out.

Wayne Citrin
(ucbvax!citrin)

marvinm@ttidcb.UUCP (Marvin Moskowitz) (11/07/85)

In article <544@petfe.UUCP> evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:
>Who was the first black ballplayer?  My history books and my instinct
>tells me the obvious answer: Jackie Robinson.
>
>Why then does Trivial Pursuit say that it was some other guy?  Has
>everybody else seen that question?  The answer is some other guy
>whose name escapes me, but whom I had never heard of.

Satchell Paige, by chance?

>Is that just one of their blunders, or is there more going on here
>than I know about?

Yes, there is more going on than you know about. Its called the popularization
of history into a media-attractive form. But there ARE wrong answers in
T.P.

>--Evan Marcus
>--
>{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
>                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan
>
>Who messed with my anti-paranoia shot?
I DID!! Want to make something of it, pipsqueak (=:

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (11/07/85)

In <544@petfe.UUCP> I asked about the first black baseball player because
I remembered the Trivial Pursuit card which said it was not Jackie Robinson.

I have been inundated with responses, including mention of Larry Doby (the
first Black in the AL), and lots of other suggestions.  Well, last night I
went home and dug out the Trivial Pursuit card with the question on it.
It reads, "Who was the first black to play major league baseball?"

The answer is: "Moses Fleetwood Walker".   NOW does anybody have an answer
or suggestion as to who this guy is????

--Evan Marcus
--

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (11/08/85)

> --
> > Who was the first black ballplayer?  My history books and my instinct
> > tells me the obvious answer: Jackie Robinson.
> >
> > Why then does Trivial Pursuit say that it was some other guy?

I forgot right now bE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***

das@ucla-cs.UUCP (11/08/85)

In article <544@petfe.UUCP> evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:
>Who was the first black ballplayer?  My history books and my instinct
>tells me the obvious answer: Jackie Robinson.
>
>Why then does Trivial Pursuit say that it was some other guy?

Because it WAS some other guy.  As I posted last year, Moses Fleetwood Walker
was the first black major leaguer (for Toledo, I think), in the American
Association.  This was in the early 1880's.  His brother was the second, and
there were about a half dozen more.  Surprisingly, they played in quite a few
games where there was little racial antagonism.  Not so surprisingly, they
played in many games where there was quite a bit.  Cap Anson of Chicago, the
premier ballplayer of his day, was a virulent racist, and through such actions
as refusing to take the field against black players, forced the league to
stop signing them; the last black major leaguer before Jackie Robinson left
the league in the late 1880's.

-- David Smallberg, das@locus.ucla.edu, {ihnp4,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!das

jam@dcl-cs.UUCP (John A. Mariani) (11/12/85)

das@ucla-cs.UUCP (David Smallberg) writes:
>evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:
>>Who was the first black ballplayer?  My history books and my instinct
>>tells me the obvious answer: Jackie Robinson.
>>Why then does Trivial Pursuit say that it was some other guy?
>
>Because it WAS some other guy.  As I posted last year, Moses Fleetwood Walker
>was the first black major leaguer (for Toledo, I think), in the American
>Association.
O.K. Here's my question.
Who was the first black Trivial Pursuit player? 8-)!
--
"You see me now a veteran of a thousand psychic wars...."

UUCP:  ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!jam
DARPA: jam%lancs.comp@ucl-cs	| Post: University of Lancaster,
JANET: jam@uk.ac.lancs.comp	|	Department of Computing,
Phone: +44 524 65201 ext 4467	|	Bailrigg, Lancaster, LA1 4YR, UK.