[comp.binaries.apple2] How do I 'unpack'

dave@bvax.UUCP (Dave Wallace) (12/09/88)

I have just recently noticed this news group and,as I have an
old apple 2, was wondering how one goes about using the
programs submitted here? ie how do I stuff them into my apple2
and get them to run?

Thanx in advance. Please email me ( why waist the posting, unless
you think thare are other out there who would also like to know ).

Dave Wallace
Bell Canada ( on week days )
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

uunet!attcan!utzoo!censor!bvax!dave

starbrd@ucscg.UCSC.EDU (Steven W.) (12/11/88)

In article <95@bvax.UUCP> dave@bvax.UUCP (Dave Wallace) writes:
>I have just recently noticed this news group and,as I have an
>old apple 2, was wondering how one goes about using the
>programs submitted here? ie how do I stuff them into my apple2
>and get them to run?

Please email me the same program.

Steven Widom

Internet: starbrd@ucscg.ucsc.edu
          starbrd@ucscb.ucsc.edu

UUCP:    ...!ucbvax!ucscc.ucsc.edu!ucscg!starbrd
         ...!ucbvax!ucscc.ucsc.edu!ucscb!starbrd

Bitnet:	 starbrd@ucscg.bitnet

smith@cos.com (Steve Smith) (12/14/88)

In article <5715@saturn.ucsc.edu> starbrd@ucscg.UCSC.EDU (Steven W.) writes:
|In article <95@bvax.UUCP> dave@bvax.UUCP (Dave Wallace) writes:
|>I have just recently noticed this news group and,as I have an
|>old apple 2, was wondering how one goes about using the
|>programs submitted here? ie how do I stuff them into my apple2
|>and get them to run?
|
|Please email me the same program.
|
|Steven Widom
|
|Internet: starbrd@ucscg.ucsc.edu
|          starbrd@ucscb.ucsc.edu
|
|UUCP:    ...!ucbvax!ucscc.ucsc.edu!ucscg!starbrd
|         ...!ucbvax!ucscc.ucsc.edu!ucscb!starbrd
|
|Bitnet:	 starbrd@ucscg.bitnet

Ditto for me.  It's getting to look like it might be profitable to just
post it.

--
                -- Steve
(smith@cos.com)    ({uunet sundc decuac hqda-ai hadron}!cos!smith)

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (12/14/88)

In article <12034@cos.com> smith@cos.UUCP (Steve Smith) writes:
-In article <5715@saturn.ucsc.edu> starbrd@ucscg.UCSC.EDU (Steven W.) writes:
-|In article <95@bvax.UUCP> dave@bvax.UUCP (Dave Wallace) writes:
-|>I have just recently noticed this news group and,as I have an
-|>old apple 2, was wondering how one goes about using the
-|>programs submitted here? ie how do I stuff them into my apple2
-|>and get them to run?
-|Please email me the same program.
-Ditto for me.  It's getting to look like it might be profitable to just
-post it.

If you guys refer to the text files starting with "CALL -151",
you don't need a special program.  Just download the file onto
your Apple's disk filesystem (for sake of this example let's
name it "EXECFILE"), then from AppleSoft BASIC (] prompt) if
you're using DOS 3.3, type "EXEC EXECFILE", or using ProDOS
type "-EXECFILE".  It should unpack itself.

toth@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (toth@tellab2 (Tellabs, Inc., - Lisle, Il.)) (12/15/88)

In article <9170@smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> In article <12034@cos.com> smith@cos.UUCP (Steve Smith) writes:
> -In article <5715@saturn.ucsc.edu> starbrd@ucscg.UCSC.EDU (Steven W.) writes:
> -|In article <95@bvax.UUCP> dave@bvax.UUCP (Dave Wallace) writes:
> -Ditto for me.  It's getting to look like it might be profitable to just
> -post it.
>
> If you guys refer to the text files starting with "CALL -151",
> you don't need a special program.  Just download the file onto
> your Apple's disk filesystem (for sake of this example let's
> name it "EXECFILE"), then from AppleSoft BASIC (] prompt) if
> you're using DOS 3.3, type "EXEC EXECFILE", or using ProDOS
> type "-EXECFILE".  It should unpack itself.

Come on Doug, if you clearly read the previous postings, it was obvious
that those posters were new to this group and had an inkling that it took
more than simply doing something with the sources as downloaded.

What you say is somewhat correct about using the EXEC command, but all that
doing this does is store the information in the Apple on the disk (in most
cases), and another program must be used to extract the data (docs and code)
to make it usable.

BLU is that program, and that is what I beleive they would like to see posted
(along with some instructions on how to use it).  The big question is: can
BLU be posted in such a way that an EXEC on the downloaded file will generate
the executable file (or does BLU require BLU to extract BLU).
--
------------------------------------------------+---------------------
Maybe I shouldn't have done it, sarcasm is so   | Joseph G. Toth Jr.

msimmond@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU ( Mark) (12/16/88)

I have a copy of BlU that is in the the executable format if there is enough
need for it I can post it. I also have the docs.

hlb@loral.UUCP (12/16/88)

In article <616@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> msimmond@ub.d.umn.edu.UUCP (    Mark) writes:
>I have a copy of BlU that is in the the executable format if there is enough
>need for it I can post it. I also have the docs.

Please post this.  Thank you.

c60c-3aw@web-4b.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (12/17/88)

Please move this (and any other) discussion to comp.sys.apple.

--
fadden@zen.berkeley.edu [crashed]
c60c-3aw@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)

wdelv@devnet3.hac.com (walt del vecchio) (12/17/88)

In article <95@bvax.UUCP> dave@bvax.UUCP (Dave Wallace) writes:
>I have just recently noticed this news group and,as I have an
>old apple 2, was wondering how one goes about using the
>programs submitted here? ie how do I stuff them into my apple2
>and get them to run?
>
>Thanx in advance. Please email me ( why waist the posting, unless
>you think thare are other out there who would also like to know ).

I am also new to this news group with a circa 1977 Apple ][ (upgraded)
and would appreciate introductary information.

  - Walt Del Vecchio - Hughes Aircraft Co.  P.O. Box 6724 Fullerton, Ca 92631