[comp.binaries.apple2] receiving comp.binaries.apple2

nakada@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Paul Nakada) (01/27/89)

From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL@uconnvm>
Subject:      Re: Where to find Kermit for //e?
To: iisat!mackay
Cc: Chris Chung <CHRIS@brownvm>, Paul Nakada <NAKADA@husc4>

>If you want an opinion from the provinces, I would say that something
>is quite amiss with Apple2-l and comp.binaries.apple2.   Specifically,
>I would say that nothing that gets posted to APPLE2-L ever gets to
>comp.binaries.apple2- at least, I've subscribed for many months and the
>only thing I've ever seen on it is articles from people discussing things
>posted or not posted to APPLE2-L.
>
>It would be sort of nice if someone close to the source could take a look
>at this.

I'm sorry to receive your report.  Unfortunately, we don't have the
automatic crossover that info-apple has (possibly because neither
comp.binaries.apple2 nor APPLE2-L has an equivalent Internet mailing
list (as comp.sys.apple<-->info-apple@BRL.MIL<-->INFO-APP@NDSUVM1)

Chris Chung and I have BOTH sought a host for such a list on the Internet
(which would solve a major problem we also have with too many copies of
fairly large files going throough the BITNET<-->Internet gateways) without
success.

Many (some, most??) files from APPLE2-L are posted to comp.binaries.apple2
by Paul Nakada (nakada@husc4.harvard.edu).  It sounds as though you are
not seeing all of comp.binaries.apple2 (I haven't access to USENET and don't
know anything about its actual distribution).  Perhaps Paul can help (or
explain?)??

/s Murph

      I bought the latest computer;
      it came fully loaded.
      It was guaranteed for 90 days,
      but in 30 was outmoded!
        - The Wall Street Journal passed along by Big Red Computer's SCARLETT

   FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

The problem is definitely not with my crossposting.  Granted, I have at
times become bogged down, and been remiss in my duties as cross poster,
but I have been pretty reliable as of recent.  (now that exams are
winding down.)

The major problem here is that binaries newsgroups are frowned upon by
many site USENET administrators as a waste of net bandwidth and
diskspace.  Therefore, many sites have unsuscribed to them with the net
effect that all sites being serverd from that site do not receive
binaries postings either.  I really dont know what can be done if you
are affected by this, other that speaking with your site USENET manager.
I do know that binaries groups in general were in jeopardy at about the
time that comp.binaries.apple2 was formed, so I feel somwht lucky that
we reach the number of people that we do.

That's my two cents...
				-paul nakada
 __
|     Paul Nakada  '89   #8-)  |
      North House              |                nakada@husc4.HARVARD.EDU
      Harvard College          |       seismo>!harvard!husc4!nakada.UUCP
      Cambridge, MA  02138     |     rutgers/   nakada@husc4.BITNET
      617/498-6255 || 6264     |                                         __|