[net.music] one of Sting's songs

london@oddjob.UUCP (David London) (07/26/85)

<>
Is anyone else disgusted by the song on Sting's new album which contains the
refrain, "I hope the Russians love their children, too"? What does he think?
I suppose Russian mothers throw their children in the Volga to drown when
they misbehave. While I like some of the other songs on the album, I'd never
go and buy it when this piece of shit is on it.

						David London
						..!ihnp4!oddjob!london

megdcs@mb2c.UUCP (Don Sortor) (07/29/85)

> <>
> Is anyone else disgusted by the song on Sting's new album which contains the
> refrain, "I hope the Russians love their children, too"? What does he think?
> I suppose Russian mothers throw their children in the Volga to drown when
> they misbehave. While I like some of the other songs on the album, I'd never
> go and buy it when this piece of shit is on it.
>
> 						David London
> 						..!ihnp4!oddjob!london

Then don't buy it.  You're too much of a jerk to be allowed to listen to it
it that's the impression you get from the words of the song.

jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) (07/29/85)

> Is anyone else disgusted by the song on Sting's new album which contains the
> refrain, "I hope the Russians love their children, too"? What does he think?
> I suppose Russian mothers throw their children in the Volga to drown when
> they misbehave. While I like some of the other songs on the album, I'd never
> go and buy it when this piece of shit is on it.
>
> 						David London
> 						..!ihnp4!oddjob!london

I believe Mr. London has missed the point of the song completely.
If you consider the song as a whole, rather than looking at individual lines
out of context, the message seems to be that the Russians are people just like
us, with the same concerns that we have, and that they're not different and
evil like they're sometimes made out to be.  Sting points this out by saying
that they probably love their children too.  I'm not too crazy about the music,
though it's interesting because it's different (you won't find many albums
with as many different types of music as "The Dream Of The Blue Turtles"),
but the lyrics are certainly not disgusting if they are taken in context.

On the other hand, if you said that Rick Davies (of Supertramp) thought that
Russian mothers threw their children into the Volga, I couldn't argue as
strongly against you.  Here are some quotes from the lyrics of "Brother Where
You Bound", and I don't think they're taken out of context (someone please
correct me if I'l wrong):

	There's a red cloud hanging over us
	And it's so big, and it's gonna bust
	They got a hatred, deep down inside
	Ain't gonna let them take me alive

--
Jeff Richardson, DCIEM, Toronto  (416) 635-2073
{linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd}!utcsri!dciem!jeff

kmo@ptsfa.UUCP (ken olsen) (07/29/85)

In article <882@oddjob.UUCP> london@oddjob.UUCP (David London) writes:
><>
>Is anyone else disgusted by the song on Sting's new album which contains the
>refrain, "I hope the Russians love their children, too"? What does he think?
>I suppose Russian mothers throw their children in the Volga to drown when
>they misbehave. While I like some of the other songs on the album, I'd never
>go and buy it when this piece of shit is on it.
>
>                       David London
>                       ..!ihnp4!oddjob!london

I believe you've missed the point.  Listen to the lyrics (or read them
if they are available).  It was made to be a dark comment on the
rationality of the arms race.  Because of the minor key in which it
is played, it becomes a frightening view of the current state of affairs
in the world.

In other words, I like the song.

------------
| gait kpr |
------------
{amd70, cbosgd, decwrl, fortune, ihnp4, ucbvax, zehntel}!dual!ptsfa!kmo

davida@umd5.UUCP (07/31/85)

> > I suppose Russian mothers throw their children in the Volga to drown when
> > they misbehave. While I like some of the other songs on the album, I'd never
> > go and buy it when this piece of shit is on it.
> >
> > 						David London
> > 						..!ihnp4!oddjob!london
>
> Then don't buy it.  You're too much of a jerk to be allowed to listen to it
> it that's the impression you get from the words of the song.

Hey now,  there's no need to flame here in net.music ...

I suggest that David London get a copy of the words to the song and read
them carefully.  It's not dealing with child abuse behind the iron curtain,
but with the problem of nuclear proliferation (sp?).  It's trying to say
'if the Russians love their children too, maybe we can all come to our senses
and stop this insanity' (paraphrased by yours truely).  Sting's a bit
much sometimes, but he's not THAT much of a flaming a__hole.
--
David Arnold
University of Maryland

ccs009@ucdavis.UUCP (Capt. Vandervecken) (08/06/85)

> <>
> Is anyone else disgusted by the song on Sting's new album which contains the
> refrain, "I hope the Russians love their children, too"? What does he think?
> I suppose Russian mothers throw their children in the Volga to drown when
> they misbehave. While I like some of the other songs on the album, I'd never
> go and buy it when this piece of shit is on it.

Gee, I never thought of it that way, come to think of it I have heard a few
rumors.....but I dismissed them as propaganda, but if you say Sting thinks so
to , well maybe......(:-)) I always thought he was making a political statement
with regard to propaganda and the arms race but then again.....

				D. Michaels @ UC Davis west of the Volga

"Row, men, Row; Row, men, Row"
			-unknown author

"Someone's gonna have to go back and get a whole shitload a dimes"
						-Slim Pickens

nadya@dartvax.UUCP (Nadya M. Labib) (08/08/85)

In article <882@oddjob.UUCP> london@oddjob.UUCP (David London) writes:
><>
>Is anyone else disgusted by the song on Sting's new album which contains the
>refrain, "I hope the Russians love their children, too"? What does he think?
>I suppose Russian mothers throw their children in the Volga to drown when
>they misbehave. While I like some of the other songs on the album, I'd never
>go and buy it when this piece of shit is on it.
>
>						David London
>						..!ihnp4!oddjob!london

Well, I can see you are a long time fan of Sting's...Anyway, it is a good
quality album, with alot of meaning.  Try to listen to it, and listen to
it.  The lyrics are astounding, almost par with his earlier "Police"
material.

cef@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA (Charles Fineman) (08/21/85)

In article <882@oddjob.UUCP> london@oddjob.UUCP (David London) writes:
><>
>Is anyone else disgusted by the song on Sting's new album which contains the
>refrain, "I hope the Russians love their children, too"? What does he think?
>I suppose Russian mothers throw their children in the Volga to drown when
>they misbehave. While I like some of the other songs on the album, I'd never
>go and buy it when this piece of shit is on it.
>
>						David London
>						..!ihnp4!oddjob!london

Remeber the old addage (I once saw it on Bullwinkle):

	Look before you leap!

Years ago when the Wall came out, hundreds of new Pink Floyd fans poped up out
of the woodwork and walked around my high school singing

   "We don't need no education, we don't need no thought control!"

Many teachers took offence at this were none was meant (at least by Mr Waters).
Many song writers may put their messages in seemingly "wicked" prose but most
of the time its merely poetic liscence (did I spell that right? doubtful).

I would think that a person reading and/or posting in this news-group would
understand things like this and not make value judgments on a song merely by
reading the vocals (I'm a big fan of "There's fetus on your breath").

	~Charlie (the Tuna) Fineman

P.S Any Dan (Steely that is) fans out there!?!