[net.games.trivia] Meta-humor in Charles Schulz's Peanuts

shiue@h-sc1.UUCP (steve shiue) (12/03/85)

	I've noticed that a recent development in net.tv is references
to meta-humor that appears in the show "Moonlighting".  Some of my
favorite meta-humor is that which appears in comic strips, when the
artists get up the courage to take a risk with some unconventional
humor.  An example is an old Peanuts strip that I came across in one of
the compilation books, in which Charlie Brown and Lucy are discussing
(or rather, Lucy is holding forth about) what Lucy's eyes resemble.  In
the last panel, Charlie Brown manages to sneak a word in edgewise, and
says, completely deadpan:  "They remind ME [my emphasis] of two dots of
india ink."

		-Steve Shiue

"I was walking in the forest, and a tree fell down right in front of
me, and I didn't hear anything."
	-Steven Wright

nick@sjuvax.UUCP (N. Straguzzi) (12/04/85)

In article <800@h-sc1.UUCP> shiue@h-sc1.UUCP (steve shiue) writes:

>	I've noticed that a recent development in net.tv is references
>to meta-humor that appears in the show "Moonlighting".  Some of my
>favorite meta-humor is that which appears in comic strips, when the
>artists get up the courage to take a risk with some unconventional
>humor.  An example is an old Peanuts strip that I came across in one of
>the compilation books, in which Charlie Brown and Lucy are discussing
>(or rather, Lucy is holding forth about) what Lucy's eyes resemble.  In
>the last panel, Charlie Brown manages to sneak a word in edgewise, and
>says, completely deadpan:  "They remind ME [my emphasis] of two dots of
>india ink."

In another one I remember, Schroeder is sitting at his piano listening
carefully to one key over and over.  Then, he runs excitedly to Charlie Brown
and says "Hey Charlie Brown, I think I have perfect pitch!"  To which CB
responds, "You mean *A* perfect pitch.  That's great, but baseball season is
over and besides, you're the catcher" (or something to that effect).  A
disgusted Schroeder walks away saying "Sometimes I think I ought to put in
for a transfer to a new comic strip".

Johnny Hart has, on at least one occassion, written a B.C. strip where the
little king from the Wizard Of Id (which he co-writes with Brant Parker)
strolls through.  In another strip, B.C. asks the wise man on the mountain
"Why are we all here".  Response: "To provide sustenance for Hart".  There
are a lot of other examples of this type of humor in B.C.

But the best of the meta-humor awards has to go to Berke Breathed's Bloom
County.  In one strip, Yaz Pistachio is bemoaning her parents' choice of
girls names to Opus: "I want you to name me one name, just one name, that's
more totally gross than Yaz Pistachio".  Opus thinks for a while and responds,
"Berkeley Breathed".  "OK, name two".

----------------
{allegra ! astrovax ! bpa ! burdvax}!sjuvax!nick

ags@pucc-h (Dave Seaman) (12/05/85)

In article <800@h-sc1.UUCP> shiue@h-sc1.UUCP (steve shiue) writes:
>In the last panel, Charlie Brown manages to sneak a word in edgewise, and
>says, completely deadpan:  "They remind ME [my emphasis] of two dots of
>india ink."

The old "Pogo" strip by Walt Kelly was good for this sort of thing.
Characters would often lean against the edge of the cartoon frame or
refer to things that happened "in the last panel."

The BEST source for meta-humor is, of course, Monty Python's Flying Circus.

[Scene showing lost explorers in African jungle.  One of the party narrates:]

...and there is nothing but a few feet of film to record the last moments
of our existance.

(Pause)

Wait a minute!!  If we are on film, then...

SOMEONE MUST BE FILMING US!!

[Scene reveals camera crew filming lost explorers.  Explorers joyfully
run toward camera crew, hands extended.  They are saved!

(Another pause)

Wait a minute!!  If these are the people who WERE filming us...

WHO'S FILMING US NOW??

[Scene now reveals meta-camera crew filming camera crew filming explorers]

 . . .

--
Dave Seaman	  {decvax|harpo|ihnp4|inuxc|seismo|ucbvax}!pur-ee!pucc-h!ags

gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (12/08/85)

There was a WB Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck episode where Daffy was a
constantly-changing character in a cartoon.  The artist (later revealed
as Bugs himself) put Daffy in scenes with incorrect clothing.
--
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under.

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{decvax!genrad, allegra, ihnp4}!mit-eddie!gds
gds@mit-eddie.mit.edu

yeff@Navajo.ARPA (12/08/85)

In article <660@mit-eddie.UUCP> gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (Greg Skinner) writes:
>There was a WB Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck episode where Daffy was a
>constantly-changing character in a cartoon.  The artist (later revealed
>as Bugs himself) put Daffy in scenes with incorrect clothing.

the cartoon was called "Duck Amock", and is in my (and a lot of
other people's opinions) one of the best/funniest/finest
bugs/daffy cartoons ever made....

jeff loves it!

spw2562@ritcv.UUCP (12/09/85)

In article <2606@sjuvax.UUCP> nick@sjuvax.UUCP (N. Straguzzi) writes:
>In another one I remember, Schroeder is sitting at his piano listening
>carefully to one key over and over.  Then, he runs excitedly to Charlie Brown

I recall seeing quite a few peanuts strips involing the music from Schroder's
piano and either Woodstock or Snoopy doing stuff to the notes as they appear
in the frames.  Anyone else remember seeing these?

        Steve Wall @ Rochester Institute of Technology
        USnail: 6675 Crosby Rd, Lockport, NY 14094, USA
        Usenet: ..!rochester!ritcv!spw2562 (Fishhook)   Unix 4.2 BSD
        BITNET: SPW2562@RITVAXC (Snoopy)                VAX/VMS 4.2
        Voice:  Yell "Hey Steve!"

    Disclaimer:  What I just said may or may not have anything to do
                 with what I was actually thinking...

pete@stc.UUCP (12/10/85)

        And talking of cartoons, don't forget Tex Avery. Cherishable
        moments include-

        `Technicolor Stops Here' sign. Chasing characters suddenly
        find themselves in B+W.

        A piece of hair catches in the projector gate. A character
        picks it out of the side of the frame and uses it as a
        conductor's baton.

        Etc, etc.

        Of course, animated cartoons have been indulging in
        meta-humour since `Out of the Inkwell'.
--
	Peter Kendell <pete@stc.UUCP>

	...!mcvax!ukc!stc!pete

	`I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn.'

akl@hjuxa.UUCP (Anita K. Laux) (12/10/85)

> There was a WB Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck episode where Daffy was a
> constantly-changing character in a cartoon.  The artist (later revealed
> as Bugs himself) put Daffy in scenes with incorrect clothing.

Yup! That was one of my favorite ones! There's also a similar one, where
Elmer Fudd does the same thing to Bugs.

Anita Laux
DEC Holmdel NJ
hjuxa!akl

bde@ihlpl.UUCP (Ewbank) (12/10/85)

There was a really cute instance of meta-humor in the comic strip
CROCK yesterday (9-Dec-85). It was a three frame discussion of whether
the surrounding enemies would attack. One of the characters was
convinced that they would.  When asked why, he said

	"Well, just look at the next frame"	(or something
						 to that effect)

... of course, in the next (last) frame, the enemies did attack

-- Bryan Ewbank
--
UUCP:	 ...!ihnp4!ihlpl!bde	| Post:	IH 6M-523
				|	AT&T Bell Labs
Bell:	 312 / 979-4296		|	Naperville, IL
				|	60566
Project: Creative Disclaimer Writing

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (12/10/85)

Rocky: "There's something already in there!"

Bullwinkle: "Something to do with the plot, I'll bet."

(Characters in R&B are always talking back to the narrator also.)
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

bhayes@glacier.ARPA (Barry Hayes) (12/13/85)

In article <1080@oddjob.UUCP> matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) writes:
>Rocky: "There's something already in there!"
>Bullwinkle: "Something to do with the plot, I'll bet."
>
>(Characters in R&B are always talking back to the narrator also.)
>Matt           University      crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
>Crawford       of Chicago      ihnp4!oddjob!matt
Ah, yes they are.  But, trivia buffs, off the top of your pointy little
heads, who WAS the narrator?

hess@gondor.UUCP (Nathan R. Hess) (12/14/85)

In article <9137@ritcv.UUCP> spw2562@ritcv.UUCP (Fishhook) writes:
>I recall seeing quite a few peanuts strips involing the music from Schroder's
>piano and either Woodstock or Snoopy doing stuff to the notes as they appear
>in the frames.  Anyone else remember seeing these?

In one, Snoopy is sleeping peacefully on top of Schroeder's piano.  Schroeder,
with a disgusted look on his face, bangs heavily on the keyboard.  A bar
rather densely populated with notes appears over the piano, pushing Snoopy
rather unceramoniously on the floor.  Schroeder continues playing.
--

When you meet a master swordsman,
show him your sword.

--Nathan Hess
uucp: {allegra, ihnp4}!psuvax1!gondor!hess
Bitnet:  HESS@PSUVAXG.BITNET

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (12/17/85)

In article <660@mit-eddie.UUCP> gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (Greg Skinner) writes:
>There was a WB Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck episode where Daffy was a
>constantly-changing character in a cartoon.  The artist (later revealed
>as Bugs himself) put Daffy in scenes with incorrect clothing.

There is also an earlier one where Bugs Bunny is the one being toyed
with. and Elmer Fudd is the person doing the drawing.  It is not
as good as the Bugs/Daffy one ( which I think is called "Duck Amuck",
but I may be wrong ).
--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (12/17/85)

Another one from Rocky and Bullwinkle ( I will use quotes even though
I probably do not remember it exactly ):

[ they have just acquired a lot of money ]
Bullwinkle:  "That's antihistamine money, Rocky"
Rocky:       "Antihistamine money?"
Bullwinkle:  "It's nothing to sneeze at.  Get it Rocky?"
Rocky:       "I get it Bullwinkle"
Bullwinkle:  "Thousands won't"

Also, there was this one:

Someone:     "That's an A bomb"
Rocky:       "What's an A bomb?"
Bullwinkle:  "According to the ratings, this show!"
Rocky:       "That's not funny!"
Bullwinkle:  "That's the problem"

By the way, why does everyone call them "Rocky and Bullwinkle" when the
show was called "The Bullwinkle Show", and the parts with R&B were called
"The Adventures of Bullwinkle and Rocky"?
--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

prs@aicchi.UUCP (Schmidt) (12/17/85)

In article <2395@glacier.ARPA> bhayes@glacier.UUCP (Barry Hayes) writes:
>In article <1080@oddjob.UUCP> matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) writes:
>>Rocky: "There's something already in there!"
>>Bullwinkle: "Something to do with the plot, I'll bet."
>>
>>(Characters in R&B are always talking back to the narrator also.)
>>Matt           University      crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
>>Crawford       of Chicago      ihnp4!oddjob!matt
>Ah, yes they are.  But, trivia buffs, off the top of your pointy little
>heads, who WAS the narrator?

Doesn't everyone know it was William Conrad?? :-)

				Paul R. Schmidt
				...!ihnp4!aicchi!prs

 I don't want to achieve immortality through my work,
 I want to achieve immortality through not dying.
				Woody Allen.