[net.games.trivia] Different trivia games

steve@micomvax.UUCP (Steve Grice) (12/16/85)

I am posting this in response to a request about a month ago for
trivia games besides Trivial Pursuit etc. There's a new game just
out here in Canada called Oxford trivia. The questions are all words
from the oxford dictionary, and the required answers are the words'
meanings which must be chosen from 3 definitions. If this game
sounds easy, think again. They've been playing on the radio with people
dialling in and only very few get any definitions correct. I'm going to
look into it further and if anyone is interested send me mail and I'll
tell you what I found out.

--

Steve Grice                               "For all you do
...philabs!micomvax!steve                    disk bugs for you"

das@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/19/85)

In article <527@micomvax.UUCP> steve@micomva.UUCP (Steve Grice) writes:
>                                          There's a new game just
>out here in Canada called Oxford trivia. The questions are all words
>from the oxford dictionary, and the required answers are the words'
>meanings which must be chosen from 3 definitions.

Someone who would buy this game is the same kind of person who would buy
the marketed versions of Mastermind, Battleships, or any ancient pencil-and-
paper-game-that-now-comes-with-a-nice-plastic-board-and-pretty-pieces.

Oxford Trivia is just "The Dictionary Game", a game-party classic.  Someone
picks a word from a dictionary that they think no one else would know (one that
they probably don't know either).  Everyone writes down a made-up definition.
The person who picked the word mixes them up and reads all the definitions
(including the real one) in random order.  Everyone says which definition they
think is the real one.  If you made up a definition, you get one point for
each person who chooses it; those who guess the correct definition also get a
point.  (The person who picked the word gets no points.)  Everyone takes a turn
being the one to pick a word.  Play as many rounds as you like.  All you need
is a dictionary, paper, and pencils.  Only uncreative people would buy a game
with already-made-up definitions -- that's the fun of it!

-- David Smallberg, das@locus.ucla.edu, {ihnp4,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!das
From: das (David Smallberg)
Newsgroups: net.games.trivia
Subject: Re: Different trivia games
Date: 19 Dec 85 05:20:03 GMT

rick@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/20/85)

In article <8112@ucla-cs.ARPA> das@ucla-cs.UUCP (David Smallberg) writes:
>Oxford Trivia is just "The Dictionary Game", a game-party classic.  Someone
>picks a word from a dictionary that they think no one else would know (one that
>they probably don't know either).  Everyone writes down a made-up definition.
>The person who picked the word mixes them up and reads all the definitions
>(including the real one) in random order.  Everyone says which definition they
>think is the real one.  If you made up a definition, you get one point for
>each person who chooses it; those who guess the correct definition also get a
>point.  (The person who picked the word gets no points.)  Everyone takes a turn
>being the one to pick a word.

We called this game Fictionary when we played it. We also would give some
arbitrary number of points to the person picking the word from the dictionary
if NO ONE picked the correct definition. This leads people to search for
words with rather bizarre definitions.
If we were feeling particularly silly we would also have a score for laughs
for the people who like to write funny definitions (eg. pash - a legal
call in the new game craze Cerebral Inebrial Bridge).
--
   Rick Gillespie
      ARPANET:	rick@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU