[net.games.trivia] E Pluribus Unum

daly@nybcb.UUCP (daly) (12/20/85)

Any trivia buffs out there know what E Pluribus Unum means ???
I see it every day on my money, but have no idea what it means.
Thanks
                               Shawn P. Daly
                               New York Blood Center
                               New York, N.Y.
                               seismo!cmcl2!nybcb!daly

citrin@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Wayne Citrin) (12/23/85)

In article <201@nybcb.UUCP> daly@nybcb.UUCP (daly) writes:
>Any trivia buffs out there know what E Pluribus Unum means ???

It means "Out of many, one," referring to the union of the states.
For your information, this is the motto on the reverse of the Great
Seal of the United States.  (Both sides can of course be seen on the
back of the dollar bill).  On the obverse of the Great Seal we find:

"Novus Ordo Seclorum" - Literally, "A new order of the ages."  More of
   less it means "History begins with us."  The Founding Fathers apparently
   knew they had accomplished something important.

"Annuit Coeptis" - I'm not sure, but I seem to remember reading that it
   meant something like "Providence has approved of us," but I'm not
   sure.  Unfortunately I left my Latin textbook at home.  Perhaps some
   other scholar can clear this up.

Wayne Citrin
(ucbvax!citrin)

john@cisden.UUCP (John Woolley) (12/26/85)

In article <11284@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> citrin@ucbvax.UUCP (Wayne Citrin) asks:
>"Annuit Coeptis" - I'm not sure, but I seem to remember reading that it
>   meant something like "Providence has approved of us," but I'm not
>   sure.  Unfortunately I left my Latin textbook at home.  Perhaps some
>   other scholar can clear this up.

Always happy to oblige.  "Annuit" means "he has nodded", "it has approved",
something along those lines.  "Coeptis" is ablative plural of "coeptum",
"something undertaken, something begun".  So the phrase means "He [God,
one presumes] has approved our undertakings".
--
				Peace and Good!,
				      Fr. John Woolley

jordan@noscvax.UUCP (Martin C. Jordan) (01/07/86)

In article <201@nybcb.UUCP> daly@nybcb.UUCP (daly) writes:
>Any trivia buffs out there know what E Pluribus Unum means ???
>I see it every day on my money, but have no idea what it means.
>Thanks
>                               Shawn P. Daly
>                               New York Blood Center
>                               New York, N.Y.
>                               seismo!cmcl2!nybcb!daly

        E Pluribus Unum is Latin for "One out of many." It is the
motto of our grand and glorious Republic and embraces the idea that
our individuality can work together to form a perfect whole; one nation
out of many states, one nation out of many cultures, one nation out of
many people. I could go on, but the next time you see this on a coin
or a dollar bill, remember that there is someone here in San Diego
who is also working that both of us might enjoy the liberties we have.

                                A Fellow American,

                                        Martin Jordan