[net.games.trivia] Meta-humor

melnick@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/11/85)

Monty Python were cited earlier as champions of meta-humor, but a big influence
on them and others were The Goons, a '50's British radio show featuring Harry
Seacombe and Peter Sellers (then an unknown).  An example:

Wallace Greenslade (the announcer who normally did only the sign-on and
sign-off) :  "Ah, Messieurs les prisoniers anglais!  Soyez le bienvenue!"

Harry Seacombe (as a British prison governor (warden), vacationing with
prisoners and prison in France) :  "What an honor!  It's none other than Wallace
Greenslade, playing the part of the French prefect of police!  And playing it
very badly!"

Greenslade :  "Don't, don't give me away.  It was either this or making tea
for John Snagg!"  (Uproarious laughter from audience and cast.  I'm not sure
who John Snagg is, though.)

And among comic strip meta-humor, who remembers the time that the characters
in Broom Hilda decided that the artist was doing a bad job, so they fired him
and tried drawing themselves and each other?

Other meta-humor nominees:  the Marx Brothers, the Muppets (towards the end
of The Muppet Movie, we're watching a movie within a movie within a movie).

Good night, and have a pleasant tomorrow.
--Alex Melnick

dv@well.UUCP (David W. Vezie) (12/16/85)

Don't forget Woody Allen in Annie Hall ("Don't you wish real life
could be like this?").
---
David W. Vezie
	    {dual|hplabs}!well!dv - Whole Earth 'Lectronics Link, Sausalito, CA
(4 lines, 113 chars)

mahoney@bach.DEC (12/18/85)

---------------------Reply to mail dated 16-DEC-1985 18:06---------------------

For Meta humor Moonlighting had a great example at the end of their
"Christmas" show.  Dave said to Cybil Sheppard (I forget her name on the show)
This must be the christmas show and Cybil goes it can't be their is no snow.
Then it starts snowing onside their office.  It ends up the entire crew
starts singing and you see the crew and family.

Brian Mahoney
From: mahoney@bach.DEC
Newsgroups: net.games.trivia
Subject: Re: Re: Meta-humor
Date: 18 Dec 85 16:01:56 GMT
Sender: daemon@decwrl.UUCP

---------------------Reply to mail dated 16-DEC-1985 18:06---------------------

For Meta humor Moonlighting had a great example at the end of their
"Christmas" show.  Dave said to Cybil Sheppard (I forget her name on the show)
This must be the christmas show and Cybil goes it can't be their is no snow.
Then it starts snowing onside their office.  It ends up the entire crew
starts singing and you see the crew and family.

Brian Mahoney

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) (12/20/85)

And then there was the point in the movie Volunteers where the
star can't understand what another character is saying...
His solution is to tilt his head and read off the translation in the
subtitles...

mark@mrstve.UUCP (Mark Smith) (12/23/85)

In article <69@decwrl.UUCP>, mahoney@bach.DEC writes:

> ---------------------Reply to mail dated 16-DEC-1985 18:06---------------------
>
> For Meta humor Moonlighting had a great example at the end of their
> "Christmas" show.  Dave said to Cybil Sheppard (I forget her name on the show)
> This must be the christmas show and Cybil goes it can't be their is no snow.
> Then it starts snowing onside their office.  It ends up the entire crew
> starts singing and you see the crew and family.
>
> Brian Mahoney
> From: mahoney@bach.DEC
> Newsgroups: net.games.trivia
> Subject: Re: Re: Meta-humor
> Date: 18 Dec 85 16:01:56 GMT
> Sender: daemon@decwrl.UUCP
>

> For Meta humor Moonlighting had a great example at the end of their
> "Christmas" show.  Dave said to Cybil Sheppard (I forget her name on the show)
> This must be the christmas show and Cybil goes it can't be their is no snow.
> Then it starts snowing onside their office.  It ends up the entire crew
> starts singing and you see the crew and family.

   You might not have caught it, but approximately 43 minutes into the show
   Cybil Sheppard (I know her show name but can't spell it) asked, "Do you know
   what we have to do now?" to which Dave replies, "Wrap this up in about 12
   minutes.  Another show comes on the air".  Actually the entire show was
   filled with Meta humor.  Just look at the character names: Mary, Joseph,
   the 3 Kings.  Another remark made by Dave which was rather humorous was
   when Mary revealed that the baby was named Andrew.  Dave looks puzzled and
   when he and Cybil get outside the door says something to the effect,
   "Andrew?  It just doesn't work..."  (Wording may differ in some states (:-))

   Oh well; that's my contribution to the Moonlighting humor.

--

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

  May the Quest for the ElfSword be
  your ultimate goal in life...
					  Mark Smith
         		GM          	  "The Software Wizard"
					  ihnp4!pur-ee!pur-phy!mrstve!mark

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (12/26/85)

In article <495@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) writes:
>And then there was the point in the movie Volunteers where the
>star can't understand what another character is saying...
>His solution is to tilt his head and read off the translation in the
>subtitles...

That reminds me of the opening to one of the Muppet movies, in which
Kermit and Fozzy discuss the people being named in the credits.
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (12/27/85)

>From: barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin)
>
>In article <495@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) writes:
>>And then there was the point in the movie Volunteers where the
>>star can't understand what another character is saying...
>>His solution is to tilt his head and read off the translation in the
>>subtitles...
>
>That reminds me of the opening to one of the Muppet movies, in which
>Kermit and Fozzy discuss the people being named in the credits.

That reminds me of the standard opening to a GREEN ACRES episode where Eva
Gabor's character would comment on the names appearing in front of her.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

		"I hate this beer. It has no taste."
						   "And it's so filling."
					 "No taste."
						   "So filling."

wayne@ada-uts.UUCP (12/30/85)

>***** ada-uts:net.games.triv / moncol!john /  1:43 pm  Dec 27, 1985
>>From: barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin)
>>
>>In article <495@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) writes:
>>>And then there was the point in the movie Volunteers where the
>>>star can't understand what another character is saying...
>>>His solution is to tilt his head and read off the translation in the
>>>subtitles...
>>
>>That reminds me of the opening to one of the Muppet movies, in which
>>Kermit and Fozzy discuss the people being named in the credits.
>
>That reminds me of the standard opening to a GREEN ACRES episode where Eva
>Gabor's character would comment on the names appearing in front of her.

That reminds me of the movie THREE STOOGES IN ORBIT when then hear the
Martians discussing the destruction of the Earth.  Moe looks down at the
subtitles (someday they'll be promoted to titles) and reads what they say.
Also, at the end of the film, the Martians speak in English, "If you can't
beat them, join them."  The subtitles are in written in Martian.
Wayne Wylupski                   ...!{ihnp4,ima}!inmet!ada-uts!wayne

wiener@idacrd.UUCP (Matthew P Wiener) (01/06/86)

Garfield once slept through Monday, all three panels.  The next day, he wakes
up and says "You know it's Monday when you wake up and it's Tuesday."

For really great meta-humor, though, you want more than one-liners.  The best
I can think of off the top of my head are the plays of Tom Stoppard and some of
John Barth's fiction, especially his short story "The Menechniad" (??) in his
collection _Lost in the Funhouse_.  That story stands out after ten+ years
easily: with quotations nesting *eight* deep or so, and characters speaking
across the nestings, and sentences ending ...?'!'?'!'?'! (all quite logically),
and, oh I can't remember anymore, but it was great, the mind boggles.

As a serious Beckett-head, I'm convinced a deep meta-humor exists across his
complete works, but it's hard to pin down.

berkeley!brahms!weemba
Matthew P Wiener
Math Dept UCB
Berkeley CA 94720

ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (01/08/86)

You want Meta-humor?  Try 'By The Skin of our Teeth', a play
recently aired on PBS.  (And again and again... if I know PBS.)
It was, in a word, wierd.  I don't think some of the stuff would
have worked, had one of the center characters (the maid) constantly
pointed out logical errors during the course of the play.

Some things that happen:

During the maid's entrance speech, she stops the play, walks off
the stage and sits with the audience, there to discuss how hard
it is for an actress to get a job these days, and how she got stuck
in such a wierd play.

When she gets to the next character's entrance, the door sticks.  So
she goes through the entire monolog again at breakneck speed.

The same character stops the play again during a love scene when
she objects to some of the lines.

At the begining of the last scene, the director comes out and
confesses that 7 of the cast members took sick from take-out
at the Deli across the street, and he makes substitutions from
various crew members.  He also goes on to explain what several
special effects would have looked like.

At the end, we get what I'd describe as meta-drama.  During one
very powerful scene, an argument between father and son (who had
been on opposite sides during world war III) a fight breaks out
between the two characters on stage.  The play is stopped.  The
actor playing the son sits on the edge of the stage muttering
"I can't play this part.  I can't play this part.  It hits too
close to home."  The actor playing the father takes responsibility
for the fight, saying he got too much into the character.  The
'son' is led off the stage by one of the cast.  Really moving.

I highly recommend this play.  I caught the very beginning late
at night when I really wanted to go to bed, and ended up staying
awake for the whole thing.  See it.
		Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calf.)
		ihnp4!{pesnta,qubix}!wjvax!fai!ronc

Oliver's law of assumed responsibility:
	"If you are seen fixing it, you will be blamed for breaking it."

gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (01/09/86)

I just remembered one of the funniest Bugs Bunny cartoons with
meta-humor.

It's in the one called "Tortoise Beats Hare".  Bugs is standing in front
of the credit screen reading all the producers, etc.  When he finally
gets up to the title, he gets incredibly upset and goes off to find a
tortoise.

"What kept ya?"
--
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under.

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{decvax!genrad, allegra, ihnp4}!mit-eddie!gds
gds@mit-eddie.mit.edu

gkloker@utai.UUCP (Geoff Loker) (01/13/86)

In article <50@fai.UUCP> ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) writes:
>You want Meta-humor?  Try 'By The Skin of our Teeth', a play
>recently aired on PBS.  (And again and again... if I know PBS.)
>
>I highly recommend this play.  I caught the very beginning late
>at night when I really wanted to go to bed, and ended up staying
>awake for the whole thing.  See it.

If you want to read the play, it was written by Thornton Wilder
(author of "Our Town", as well) around the 1920's or '30s, I
believe.  Possibly a bit dated by now, but still quite good.

--
Geoff Loker
Department of Computer Science

USENET:	{ihnp4 decwrl utzoo uw-beaver}!utcsri!utai!gkloker
CSNET:		gkloker@toronto
ARPANET:	gkloker.toronto@csnet-relay

dobro@ulowell.UUCP (Chet Dobro) (01/21/86)

by Thorton Wilder, which was recently aired (yes, again) on PBS:

> It was, in a word, wierd.  I don't think some of the stuff would
> have worked, had one of the center characters (the maid) constantly
> pointed out logical errors during the course of the play.

You think that play was weird to watch!?

Try doing it (high school drama club).

						Gryphon