[net.games.trivia] Trivial Pursuit errors?

ugmarkj@sunybcs.UUCP (Mark D. Johnson) (12/11/85)

I know this topic has been thrashed out before, so forgive me:

What are the 7 (or so) errors in Trivial Pursuit (Genus edition)?
Would someone kindly mail them to me?  Thanks in advance!

--
 /\  Mark D. Johnson                   SUNY/Buffalo Computer Science
//\\

"...a dimension between stupidity and substance, between science and
superficiality, a place we call... The Usenet Zone"

ugmarkj@sunybcs.UUCP (Mark D. Johnson) (12/28/85)

> I know this topic has been thrashed out before, so forgive me:
>
> What are the 7 (or so) errors in Trivial Pursuit (Genus edition)?
> Would someone kindly mail them to me?  Thanks in advance!

I posted this request a while ago, but got no responses.
So, I will try again...

*PLEASE!* One of you out there in net-land must know!  I
would appreciate it if some nice person would let me in on
the secret.  Thank you.

--

sra@oddjob.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) (01/05/86)

In article <2676@sunybcs.UUCP> ugmarkj@gort.UUCP (Mark D. Johnson) writes:
> I know this topic has been thrashed out before, so forgive me:
>
> What are the 7 (or so) errors in Trivial Pursuit (Genus edition)?
> Would someone kindly mail them to me?  Thanks in advance!

We came across this one the other night.  The question was in the
sports/leisure category, and asked what toy "sleeps".  The given
answer, yo-yo, was not wrong, but was not the only one possible,
since a top will also sleep.  This is like the llama/alpaca answer
someone mentioned previously.
--

					Scott Anderson
					ihnp4!oddjob!kaos!sra

rjw@ptsfc.UUCP (Rod Williams) (01/07/86)

 A question from the Genus (original) edition puzzled me. It went something
 like this:

 What task was Rumpelstiltskin's daughter required to perform?

 The answer was 'to spin straw into gold' (I guess it could also have been
 'to guess Rumpelstiltskin's name'). But the thing that stopped me in my
 tracks was calling her Rumpelstiltskin's daughter - she wasn't, was she???
--

 rod williams | {ihnp4,dual}!ptsfa!ptsfc!rjw
 pacific bell |  san ramon  |  california

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (01/07/86)

>  A question from the Genus (original) edition puzzled me. It went something
>  like this:
>
>  What task was Rumpelstiltskin's daughter required to perform?
>
>  The answer was 'to spin straw into gold' (I guess it could also have been
>  'to guess Rumpelstiltskin's name'). But the thing that stopped me in my
>  tracks was calling her Rumpelstiltskin's daughter - she wasn't, was she???
> --
>  rod williams | {ihnp4,dual}!ptsfa!ptsfc!rjw

Trivial Pursuit has many incorrect answers in it.  Most of them are wrong
because they were worded incorrectly, like the example above.

Here is a good example, the question reads:

"What surface area do you get when you slice a solid sphere?"

The answer given is "a circle" which is incorrect for several reasons.
How many can you name?
--
		Kevin Chu
		!{ucbvax,lll-crg,dual}!ucdavis!vega!ccs020

ben@cucca.UUCP (Ben Fried) (01/09/86)

In article <501@ptsfc.UUCP> rjw@ptsfc.UUCP (Rod Williams) writes:

> A question from the Genus (original) edition puzzled me. It went something
> like this:
>
> What task was Rumpelstiltskin's daughter required to perform?
>
> The answer was 'to spin straw into gold' (I guess it could also have been
> 'to guess Rumpelstiltskin's name'). But the thing that stopped me in my
> tracks was calling her Rumpelstiltskin's daughter - she wasn't, was she???

I don't recall her being his daughter, but time may have had its effect on my
memory.

One i (or at least my mother) is sure of is the question

What movie was based on the play "Everyone Goes to Rick's"?

The answer given is, logically "Casablanca".  But there are some problems with
this.  Of a book my mom read on the movie, what she remembered most strongly
was that they were in fact writing the end of the movie while it was being
filmed; bogey and ingrid bergman had to be really ambiguous--THEY didn't know
who would get Elsa.  This would seem to rule out Casablanca being taken from a
movie.

--
Ben Fried				arpa: Ui.ben@cu20b
User Services				edu:  Ui.ben@cu20b.columbia.edu

			  ``Rabbit Season!''

gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (01/10/86)

> From: ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu)

> Trivial Pursuit has many incorrect answers in it.  Most of them are wrong
> because they were worded incorrectly, like the example above.

> Here is a good example, the question reads:

> "What surface area do you get when you slice a solid sphere?"

> The answer given is "a circle" which is incorrect for several reasons.
> How many can you name?

I believe the question itself is incorrectly worded.  It should read
"What geometric shape do you get when you slice a solid sphere?"

As I recall, if you slice a cone with a plane parallel to the base of the
cone, you get a circle.  However if you slice it at an angle to the base
of the cone, you'll get an ellipse, parabola, or hyperbola (or
intersecting lines) depending on the angle.  If you slice a solid sphere
you'll get a circle.  However, the "surface area" is the area of the
circle, not the circle itself.

If there are any mathemagicians out there please help us out!
--
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under.

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{decvax!genrad, allegra, ihnp4}!mit-eddie!gds
gds@mit-eddie.mit.edu

john@cisden.UUCP (John Woolley) (01/10/86)

There's one bad question I remember.  I don't know the exact wording, but
it was something like "What disrupted the twenty-fifth anniversary meeting
of the United Nations?"  Now I said to myself, Gee, the UN was founded in
1946 or 1947, so what happened in 1971 or 1972 that might have disrupted
it?  And the only thing I could think of was the Yom Kippur War.  But no,
the answer on the back of the card was Khrushchev's pounding his shoe on
the table, which happened back in the early sixties some time.
--
				Peace and Good!,
				      Fr. John Woolley

ins_apmj@jhunix.UUCP (Patrick M Juola) (01/12/86)

In article <911@mit-eddie.UUCP> gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (Greg Skinner) writes:
>> From: ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu)
>> Trivial Pursuit has many incorrect answers in it.  Most of them are wrong
>> because they were worded incorrectly, like the example above.
>
>> Here is a good example, the question reads:
>
>> "What surface area do you get when you slice a solid sphere?"
>
>> The answer given is "a circle" which is incorrect for several reasons.
>> How many can you name?
>  (Explanation that "surface area" is the wrong term.)

Another reason -- a circle is, by definition, the "locus of points
	EQUIDISTANT" et cetera.  In other words, it does not include
	its interior.  What was meant was a circle plus its interior.

A more fundamental reason -- No one specified that we had to make only one
	slice or that the slice(s) had to be in a plane.  I could describe
	several bizarre things I've done to oranges (which approximate
	spheres) in the kitchen that came out nothing like a circle.

						Pat Juola
						Hopkins Maths

> What was meant was a circle plus its interior.

I.e., a disk, more precisely a circular disk.
(disc for you foreigners)

alan@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Alan Algustyniak) (01/14/86)

In article <1501@jhunix.UUCP> ins_apmj@jhunix.ARPA (Patrick M Juola) writes:

>	  I could describe
>	several bizarre things I've done to oranges (which approximate
>	spheres) in the kitchen that came out nothing like a circle.
>
>						Pat Juola
>						Hopkins Maths

Sounds exciting!  Tell us more.

lee@doc (01/17/86)

    "Casablanca" was based on a play named "Everybody Goes To Rick's".
    I don't know if the play itself was produced before it was sold to
    the studio, but it did precede the film.  The whole film was
    extensively rewritten (everything is) and they may have had a
    write as they shot situation.  By the way, it is Ilsa not Elsa.

                                             Lee Cochenour

		      "Duck Season!"

			 allegra!convex!ctvax!trsvax!doc!lee

dobro@ulowell.UUCP (Chet Dobro) (01/21/86)

> Here is a good example, the question reads:
>
> "What surface area do you get when you slice a solid sphere?"
>
> The answer given is "a circle" which is incorrect for several reasons.
> How many can you name?
> --
> 		Kevin Chu

It is assumed they mean the cross-sectional view.

Some resons why this is incorrect:

	1) they assume you are slicing it through the center

	2) the answer should read "that of" 'a circle' "with equal radius"

	3) the obvoius one that is pointed out in my immediate assumption,
		they mean only the cross-section.
		you yould get 1/2 the outer surface area + the circle's area

	4) all of the above assume that you discard the other half of the
		sphere after you cut it.

						Gryphon

tainter@ihlpg.UUCP (Tainter) (01/23/86)

>> "What surface area do you get when you slice a solid sphere?"
>> The answer given is "a circle" which is incorrect for several reasons.
>> How many can you name?
> It is assumed they mean the cross-sectional view.
> Some resons why this is incorrect:
> 	1) they assume you are slicing it through the center
    WHY? Except for tangents a plane through a sphere forms a circle, thus
encompasses a circular disc.
> 	2) the answer should read "that of" 'a circle' "with equal radius"
    Do you mean "with equal radius" to that of the sphere?
    This is the fallacius assumption of 1).
> 	3) the obvoius one that is pointed out in my immediate assumption,
> 		they mean only the cross-section.
> 		you yould get 1/2 the outer surface area + the circle's area
    AGAIN assumes center to get 1/2.
> 	4) all of the above assume that you discard the other half of the
> 		sphere after you cut it.
    Which also got rid of the second circular disc surface on that half.
> 						Gryphon
    5) it is assumed that "slicing" a sphere means passing a plane through it
--johnathan a. tainter
P.S.  This question is not so much WRONG as it is excessively loose with
      geometric vocabulary.
This poster is not so much WRONG as he is excessively loose in
a computer environment.

ron@brl-smoke.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (01/28/86)

> 	1) they assume you are slicing it through the center

You get a circle of some radius no matter how where you slice it.

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (01/30/86)

> > 	1) they assume you are slicing it through the center
> >
> You get a circle of some radius no matter how where you slice it.

Correct, assuming you slice it along a plane; what if you
slice it with a curve? I don't think there's a name for the
geometric shape you'd get.
--
Suzanne Barnett-Scott
uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze