[net.followup] Acid Tattoos

crg@vax135.UUCP (Catherine Grimes) (07/10/86)

Subject: a warning to parents: ACID TATTOOS
Newsgroups: net.kids net.general att.general btl.general

The notice below was posted at the daycare center where my son is
enrolled.  I had not heard of this before and thought that others
might be interested in it as well.

			Catherine Grimes

"The notice below was received from the Hazlet Township Schools."

"The message that appears below is being shared with you for your
information.  Although I am not aware that the material described is
being circulated in the Hazlet area, I nevertheless do believe you
should be alerted to its existence.

			Sincerely,

			Dr. Joseph A. Dispenziere
			Superintendent of Schools"

		"A Warning to Parents"

"According to San Diego police authorities, a form of tattoo--
BLUE STAR -- is readily available to young children.  This is a
new way of getting ACID to unsuspecting kids.  It is in the form of
a small sheet of white paper containing blue stars in the size of a
pencil eraser, with each STAR impregnated with LSD, and can be
removed from the paper and placed in the mouth.  Absorption can also
occur through the skin by simply handling the paper tattoo!

There are also brightly colored tabs, resembling postage stamps, which
have pictures of Superman, Mickey Mouse, and other Disney characters,
and are placed in red cardboard boxes wrapped in foil in a clear,
lock-type bag.  A young child could happen upon these and have a fatal
TRIP.  It is also feared that little children could be given a free
TATTOO by older children who want to have some fun.  It is important
that all parents be alerted in case their child is involved, even
innocently!  As you know, stickers are very popular now, especially
among small children.  BE CAREFUL!"
----- News saved at Wed, 9-Jul-86 17:31:42 EDT

Several days ago, I posted an article on acid tattoos which had
been posted at the daycare center where my son is enrolled.

Since, then several people have responded that a similar story had
been published in a book by Brunvald(spelling).  I did attempt
to find the source of the notice.  I contacted the school system
which had distributed the notice to the daycare center--they
had received it from another school system.  I also contacted
the San Diego Police Department.  The woman that I spoke with
did not have any information.

It seems that yes, it is probably a FOAF(friend of a friend) story,
but since nobody is absolutely certain that it is not factual,
I am not going to take any chances.  I'll be keeping my eyes
open for anything that resembles these tattoos.

Thanks to all who responded, I certainly hope that those of you
who were aware of the book by Brunvald(sp), will still exhibit
caution concerning anything that resembles the described tattoos.

Catherine Grimes
Subject: Re: Acid Tattoos
Newsgroups: net.kids,net.general,att-general,btl.general

[...]

colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (07/10/86)

[Sent to Ms. Grimes on July 10.]

Dear Ms. Grimes,

	I have children too, so I understand your concern.  But since
information about nonexistent dangers is dangerous, let me explain
how I (and others on the Net) recognized the "Blue Star" article as a
hoax.

> The notice below was received from the Hazlet Township Schools.
>
> The message that appears below is being shared with you for your
> information.  Although I am not aware that the material described is
> being circulated in the Hazlet area, I nevertheless do believe you
> should be alerted to its existence.
> 			Sincerely,
> 			Dr. Joseph A. Dispenziere
> 			Superintendent of Schools

In most cities superintendents of schools are chosen from political
clubs.  Buffalo's superintendents have been boneheads for as long as
I can remember, and I expect that superintendents in other cities are
no better.

Dr. Dispenziere says that he believes that the drugs in question exist,
though he has no evidence for it.  Thus he did _not_ check with the police.

> 		A Warning to Parents
>
> According to San Diego police authorities, a form of tattoo--
> BLUE STAR -- is readily available to young children.  This is a
> new way of getting ACID to unsuspecting kids.  It is in the form of
> a small sheet of white paper containing blue stars in the size of a
> pencil eraser, with each STAR impregnated with LSD, and can be
> removed from the paper and placed in the mouth.  Absorption can also
> occur through the skin by simply handling the paper tattoo!

Hoaxers love circumstancial detail, and this paragraph contains plenty
of it.  Typically, it also contains some glaring absurdities.

(1) If the tattoo contains LSD, why are people distributing it to young
    children?  Young children have little money, are likely to inform
    parents or teachers, and are more likely to be scared than exhilarated
    by LSD.
(2) Why would an "unsuspecting" kid peel off a tattoo and place
    it in his _mouth?_
(3) The raw materials for LSD are tightly controlled.  For some years
    now, LSD has been notoriously hard to obtain.  No dealer who had
    any would distribute it to young children, especially since LSD
    is not addicting.

The only way to explain these manifest absurdities is to conclude that they
were invented to alarm the reader.

> There are also brightly colored tabs, resembling postage stamps, which
> have pictures of Superman, Mickey Mouse, and other Disney characters,
> and are placed in red cardboard boxes wrapped in foil in a clear,
> lock-type bag.  A young child could happen upon these and have a fatal
> TRIP.  It is also feared that little children could be given a free
> TATTOO by older children who want to have some fun.  It is important
> that all parents be alerted in case their child is involved, even
> innocently!

Also typically, there is a grain of truth here.  In the '60s, LSD was
distributed on paper tabs, and some was marketed with cartoon
characters as a kind of trademark.  Indeed, some young children may
well have discovered such tabs and "tripped out" ... 20 years ago.

But this paragraph can be recognized as unauthoritative from its
language.  "It is also feared ..."; "It is important that ..." There
is no hint of who fears or who finds it important.  Police statements
do not sound like this!

>              As you know, stickers are very popular now, especially
> among small children.  BE CAREFUL!

The clincher!  What should you do if your child has drug-impregnated
transfers or stickers?  If this article were genuine, it would tell
you to notify the authorities, giving the name and number of a govern-
ment agency.  This article leaves you in the dark about what to do.
Of course--its only purpose is to upset people!

Finally, there is NO SIGNATURE.  The superintendent of schools got the
article secondhand.

		*		*		*

Now, what should parents do?

1. If you still think the article is honest, call the police and
   find out instead of debating it on the Net.

2. Learn to recognize hoaxes.  If you have ever received chain letters,
   you may have observed in them the characteristic traits of a hoax:
   much circumstancial detail, vagueness about sources and motives,
   and statements calculated to provoke strong emotional reactions.

3. If you must post rumors to the Net before checking them, post them
   to net.rumor.

4. Get some reliable information about how drugs are distributed in
   schools.  Real drug dealers don't use elaborate subterfuges and
   disguises for their products--they don't need to.  (But some of
   them issue phony articles to divert attention from the way they
   really do business!)
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

minkus@usc-oberon.UUCP (07/15/86)

Several months ago I happened to catch at TV show (I don't remember
which one) but they showed samples of the tattoos so they are real.

jeffw@midas.UUCP (07/18/86)

Humor Scavengers, Inc. goes to work again, this time on a bit of
urban folklore -

In article <536@usc-oberon.UUCP> minkus@usc-oberon.UUCP (Minkus) writes:
>Several months ago I happened to catch at TV show (I don't remember
>which one) but they showed samples of the tattoos so they are real.

I suppose they believe everything thOy read in the newspaper, too.

						Jeff Winslow
						"See you on the Dating Game"

pete@valid.UUCP (07/18/86)

> Several months ago I happened to catch at TV show (I don't remember
> which one) but they showed samples of the tattoos so they are real.

Today's San Jose Mercury News (18 July 1986) has a picture of a UFO, so they
must be real too.
--
-Pete Zakel (..!{hplabs,amd,pyramid,ihnp4}!pesnta!valid!pete)

cej@ll1.UUCP (07/19/86)

> Several months ago I happened to catch at TV show (I don't remember
> which one) but they showed samples of the tattoos so they are real.

	This story makes me wonder a bit.  As I recall LSD can be
produced in liquid form, and is on small pieces of blotter paper,
which are apparently purchased in sheets.  They have small cartoon
like pictures on each "hit" as a "target" for the LSD.  The samples
that I saw on T.V. could fit the above description.

	Could some children have actually been caught with drugs,
and come up with a story that their parents bought, even to the
point of still believing that their children didn't know about the
acid after it's discovery?  And when the press got a hold of it, they
bought it?  This seems more reasonable the news story version.

	Or can somebody who has seen both this "commercial" form of
LSD and these tattoos say that they aren't the same?

			Who are these strangers that come in the door,
			cover your action, and go you one more?

...ihnp4!ltuxa!ll1!cej			Llewellyn Jones

rynes@cwruecmp.UUCP (Edward M. Rynes Esq.) (07/21/86)

  The story I read in the paper about six months ago was that a
young couple was selling LSD by putting it on the back of stamps.
(Snoopy stamps as I recall) Their young daughter found them one
day and since the class project for the day was sending out
Christmas cards she took them to school with her.  When the whole
class started acting strange the school sent them all to the hospital
where they were watched until they came down.  The parents of the
young girl were promptly arested.

  This sounds much more likely than someone actively distributing
LSD to small children.  If tattoos were involved it was probably a
simmilar "mistake".

Edward Rynes	Facilities Manager	|	    "The next time, I dedicate
Dept. of Computer Eng. and Science	| My life's work to the friends I make.
Case Western Reserve University		|   I give them what they want to hear.
Cleveland, Ohio   44106			| They think I'm up to something weird.
...!decvax!cwruecmp!rynes		| And up rears the head of fear in me."
rynes@case.csnet	(216) 368-6471	|			Kate Bush