[comp.binaries.apple2] Problems with Kermit/MacPaint

kutcha@clotho.acm.rpi.edu (Phillip Rzewski) (06/04/90)

Hello, I am wondering some Apple wizards would be willing to help me
with a little problem I have been having. I recently uploaded Macdown
to comp.binaries.apple2 for some people in alt.sex.pictures that wanted
to view MacPaint pictures on the Apple //. I have a large library of
such pictures, and I figured that uploading them to the net would be
no different than uploading GIF pictures.

It seems this isn't the case. All the MacPaint pictures I have on
my disks are of type TXT, which I think is rather standard. The first
thing I tried was to upload them with Kermit, telling both my computer
that it was file type text and the remote computer the same. Well,
after trying to download it in the same manner, it worked and I got
a file on my disk, but there was no picture, just a bunch of ugly lines.

Then I tried uploading it as text from my end, and telling the remote
host it was binary. After I had it on the remote machine, I tried
downloading it with the remote set as binary, and then with mine as
binary, and then again with mine as text. When I tried the to view
the binary one (BIN), it have me a ProDOS error. When I tried to
view the text one, it once again gave me the scribbled lines.

I know the best way to do all this would be to do up the files with
ShrinkIt and BinSCII, but MacPaints can also be viewed on machines
like Macintosh and IBM, so I would want to try and use something that
just about everyone can unpack it with (uuencode) but I can't use
that if the file isn't correct in the first place. Does anyone here
know what I should do if I want the file to get transferred to and
from the remote host correctly?

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:: -Phil Rzewski                        Internet: kutcha@clotho.acm.rpi.edu ::
:: "A man in love is a man possessed."  Bitnet:   USERF3DK@RPITSMTS.BITNET  ::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (06/04/90)

kutcha@clotho.acm.rpi.edu (Phillip Rzewski) writes:

>It seems this isn't the case. All the MacPaint pictures I have on
>my disks are of type TXT, which I think is rather standard. The first
>thing I tried was to upload them with Kermit, telling both my computer
>that it was file type text and the remote computer the same. Well,
>after trying to download it in the same manner, it worked and I got
>a file on my disk, but there was no picture, just a bunch of ugly lines.

The TXT filetype is misleading. Apple File Exchange is really stupid sometimes
and marks a file as TXT when it should be BIN.

You will have to upload the files with binary on both ends or the data will get
corrupted somewhere along the way. You may have to change the Prodos filetype
to get this to work.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu