[net.games.trivia] 3M revealed

ant3@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Butch Anton) (02/09/86)

OK...It appears that the meaning of 3M is not trivial, as
I have gotten at least three responses that included the
phrase "what's so tough about that?"  Anyhow, 3M stands
for Minnesota Minning and Manufacturing.  However, noone
was able to come up with some history behind the name change,
and I know nothing of the sort.  Therefore, if anyone out there
can shed some light on the name change, plese do so.

(General appreciatory remarks follow concerning all those
 who submitted answers to this not-so-trivial question)...

--
Butch Anton
University of Chicago

    uucp:  ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!ant3
	   ...ihnp4!gargoyle!bourbaki!butch
    mailnet:  x9.xba@UChicago.Mailnet
    bitnet:  ant3%sphinx@UChicago.Bitnet
    ARPA:  x9.xba%UChicago.Mailnet@MIT-Multics.ARPA
    USnail:  2560 E. 72nd Place           (312) 731-6314 home
	     Chicago, IL  60649           (312) 731-6750 work

mahoney@bach.DEC (02/10/86)

---------------------Reply to mail dated 9-FEB-1986 01:26---------------------

It got shortned by the public.  People got itred of calling it by its
long name so called it 3M.  The company decided to go along with the
public on this. They offical changed to 3M since that what they were
being called anyway.  This has happened to other companies also.

Brian Mahoney

mahoney%bach.dec@decwrl.arpa
"If someone has a cure all you can
 be sure it will make you sick."

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (02/11/86)

In article <1616@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> ant3@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Butch Anton) writes:
>OK...It appears that the meaning of 3M is not trivial, as
>I have gotten at least three responses that included the
>phrase "what's so tough about that?"  Anyhow, 3M stands
>for Minnesota Minning and Manufacturing.  However, noone
>was able to come up with some history behind the name change,
>and I know nothing of the sort.  Therefore, if anyone out there
>can shed some light on the name change, plese do so.
>
>(General appreciatory remarks follow concerning all those
> who submitted answers to this not-so-trivial question)...
>

>--
>Butch Anton

Name change? What name change? I didn't see the original posting, so
I missed the start of this, but "3M" still stands for Minnesota Mining
and Manufacturing, although there isn't much mining going on around
here anymore. Some 3M employees refer to the company as "the mining".

--MKR