[net.games.trivia] Trivia Fact 1/31

settle@siemens.UUCP (01/31/86)

Trivia Fact for Friday January 31:

1928 Scotch tape was marketed by the 3-M Company of St. Paul, Minnesota.

ant3@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Butch Anton) (02/04/86)

As an aside to this trivia fact, does anyone out there
know what 3M stands for, and how it originated?

[Mail me the answers, and if anyone/everone comes up with
 a more complete answer than the one I have, I'll give them
 all the credit in the world and post their answer, if not,
 I'll post my measly incomplete answer :-) ]
--
Butch Anton
University of Chicago

    uucp:  ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!ant3
	   ...ihnp4!gargoyle!bourbaki!butch
    mailnet:  x9.xba@UChicago.Mailnet
    bitnet:  ant3%sphinx@UChicago.Bitnet
    ARPA:  x9.xba%UChicago.Mailnet@MIT-Multics.ARPA
    USnail:  2560 E. 72nd Place           (312) 731-6314 home
	     Chicago, IL  60649           (312) 731-6750 work

taylor@glasgow.glasgow.UUCP (Jem Taylor) (02/11/86)

In article <1582@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> ant3@sphinx.UUCP writes:
>As an aside to this trivia fact, does anyone out there
>know what 3M stands for, and how it originated?

sorry, they don't let us email across the atlantic - we have to post (!)

3M - easy, Minnesota Mining & Metals. But what is the real name of that
other acronymic mag. tape manufacturer, BASF ?
 Answer next week if no-one posts before then.

-Jemima Puddleduck
	-o
	 (==)

awr@panda.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (02/14/86)

In article <363@glasgow.glasgow.UUCP> taylor@glasgow.UUCP (Jem Taylor) writes:
>3M - easy, Minnesota Mining & Metals. But what is the real name of that
>other acronymic mag. tape manufacturer, BASF ?
> Answer next week if no-one posts before then.

Bayerische Anilin und Soda Fabrik.

AWR

hedden@atux01.UUCP (D. Hedden) (02/14/86)

> In article <363@glasgow.glasgow.UUCP> taylor@glasgow.UUCP (Jem Taylor) writes:
>3M - easy, Minnesota Mining & Metals. ...

I may be wrong (usually am), but I distinctly remember commercials
being for Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing Corporation.

   "The moving hand writes ..."

    Don