[net.games.trivia] Trivial Pursuit error?

shelton@bnrmtv.UUCP (Marilyn Shelton) (02/15/86)

The question was from where did the Minnesota Twins originate?  The
answer given was the Washington Senators.  I am fairly certain that
the Senators went to Arlington, Texas and became the Texas Rangers.
If I am correct, was is the *right* answer?

Thanks.

saohn@ihlpg.UUCP (Ohnsman) (02/16/86)

> The question was from where did the Minnesota Twins originate?  The
> answer given was the Washington Senators.  I am fairly certain that
> the Senators went to Arlington, Texas and became the Texas Rangers.
> If I am correct, was is the *right* answer?
>
> Thanks.

You're correct, but this shows how often the Senators moved around.

Bob Short, the long-hated villain in D.C., was responsible for one
move.  The next trivia question is who is responsible for the other???

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (02/16/86)

> The question was from where did the Minnesota Twins originate?  The
> answer given was the Washington Senators.  I am fairly certain that
> the Senators went to Arlington, Texas and became the Texas Rangers.
> If I am correct, was is the *right* answer?

  Both answers are correct. There were *two* incarnations of the Senators;
one went to Minnesota, and the later one to Texas.

--Greg

wjh@bonnie.UUCP (Bill Hery) (02/17/86)

> > The question was from where did the Minnesota Twins originate?  The
> > answer given was the Washington Senators.  I am fairly certain that
> > the Senators went to Arlington, Texas and became the Texas Rangers.
> > If I am correct, was is the *right* answer?
>
> You're correct, but this shows how often the Senators moved around.

But they weren't the same Senators.  After the old Senators move to Minn.
a new team was formed and given the old name.  The eventually moved to Texas.

pete@umcp-cs.UUCP (Pete Cottrell) (02/17/86)

In article <255@bnrmtv.UUCP> shelton@bnrmtv.UUCP writes:
>The question was from where did the Minnesota Twins originate?  The
>answer given was the Washington Senators.  I am fairly certain that
>the Senators went to Arlington, Texas and became the Texas Rangers.
>If I am correct, was is the *right* answer?
>
>Thanks.

The original Washington Senators left for Minnesota and were replaced
by an expansion franchise, also named the Senators. This team played
in D.C. through the 1971 season, and then broke my heart by leaving
for Texas, becoming the Rangers.
--
Call-Me:   Pete Cottrell, Univ. of Md. Comp. Sci. Dept.
UUCP:	   seismo!umcp-cs!pete

mading@puff.UUCP (Eric Mading) (02/17/86)

In <255@bnrmtv.UUCP> a "Trivial Pursuit error" was revealed, or was it?
There were actually two Washington Senators baseball teams.
One of them was formed in 1961 when the original Senators moved to
Minnesota.  That team moved to Texas to become the Rangers in 1972.

shari@rosevax.UUCP (Shari Nelson) (02/18/86)

> The question was from where did the Minnesota Twins originate?  The
> answer given was the Washington Senators.  I am fairly certain that
> the Senators went to Arlington, Texas and became the Texas Rangers.
> If I am correct, was is the *right* answer?
>
> Thanks.

The Twins DID orignate in D.C. as the Wash. Senators. Calvin
Griffith, the Twins former owner moved them to the Twin Cities in
1961. The Twins went to the Series in 1965 and haven't been heard
from since!!!
--
..!ihnp4!rosevax!shari

Shari Nelson
Rosemount Inc.
12001 W. 78th St.
Eden Prairie, Mn.  55344

A MINNESOTA GOPHER fan forever!!!

[5m [7m GO GOLDEN GOPHERS [m

boucher@hsi.UUCP (Keith Boucher) (02/18/86)

> The question was from where did the Minnesota Twins originate?  The
> answer given was the Washington Senators.  I am fairly certain that
> the Senators went to Arlington, Texas and became the Texas Rangers.
> If I am correct, was is the *right* answer?
>
> Thanks.

The original Washington Senators moved to Minnesota in 1961 and became
the Minnesota Twins.  The AL expanded that year and franchises were awarded
to Washington and Los Angeles.  The nickname for the Washington team was
the Senators.  This team played in Washington from 1961 to 1971 and then
moved to Texas for the 1972 season and became the Texas Rangers.
In summary, the Minnesota Twins franchise played in Washington until the
final season in 1960.  The Texas Rangers franchise played in Washington
from the first season of 1961 until the last season of 1971.

stevev@tekchips.UUCP (Steve Vegdahl) (02/18/86)

> > The question was from where did the Minnesota Twins originate?  The
> > answer given was the Washington Senators.  I am fairly certain that
> > the Senators went to Arlington, Texas and became the Texas Rangers.
> > If I am correct, was is the *right* answer?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> You're correct, but this shows how often the Senators moved around.
>
> Bob Short, the long-hated villain in D.C., was responsible for one
> move.  The next trivia question is who is responsible for the other???

There were two Washington Senators franchises.  The first was there
from time immemorial until 1960, when Calvin Griffith (if I'm not mistaken)
moved them to Minnesota and changed their name to be the Twins.  This
coincided with an American League expansion year; the city of Washington
got one of the expansion franchises and the team was again named the
Senators.  This team was later moved to Texas, leaving Washington without
a MLB team.

If Washington should again get a franchise, I would suggest that, in light of
the decline in importance of senators in the political process, the team
be named the Washington Supreme Court Justices or the Washington Political
Action Committees :-).

		Steve Vegdahl
		Computer Research Lab.
		Tektronix, Inc.
		Beaverton, Oregon

dietz@dataioDataio.UUCP (Kent E. Dietz) (02/20/86)

In article <255@bnrmtv.UUCP> shelton@bnrmtv.UUCP (Marilyn Shelton) writes:
>The question was from where did the Minnesota Twins originate?  The
>answer given was the Washington Senators.  I am fairly certain that
>the Senators went to Arlington, Texas and became the Texas Rangers.
>If I am correct, was is the *right* answer?
>
>Thanks.

The original Washington Senators were owned by the Griffith family and
adopted son Calvin moved the team to Minnesota in the late 50's or
early 60's.  The team was replaced with an expansion team called, oddly
enough, the Washington Senators.  This team moved to Texas, in the early
70's, I believe.  So, the trivial pursuit answer was correct.

There was a query on the net recently on the least talked about teams.
My nominee was the Twins, until this notice, which also disqualifies the
Rangers.

Finally, are there any "true" Twins fans out there.  As opposed to the
fans that will jump on the bandwagon once the Twins start running away
with the AL East.  Out here in Washington, we don't hear much about the
smaller market teams.

Kent E. Dietz
FutureNet Corp.
uw-beaver!entropy!dataio!dietz

jimn@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Jim Nesheim) (02/20/86)

In article <916@dataioDataio.UUCP> dietz@dataio.UUCP (Kent E. Dietz writes:

>Finally, are there any "true" Twins fans out there.  As opposed to the
>fans that will jump on the bandwagon once the Twins start running away
>with the AL East.  Out here in Washington, we don't hear much about the
>smaller market teams.
>
>Kent E. Dietz
>FutureNet Corp.
>uw-beaver!entropy!dataio!dietz

Obviously, not a *true* Twins fan, as he doesn't even know what division
they're in!

Even if the Twins were in the AL East, how could they possibly 'run away'
from the Yankees ?!

:^>~

J Nesheim
jimn@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
{ihnp4,cmcl2,decvax,vax135}!cornell!bullwinkle!batcomputer!jimn

mcg@sfmin.UUCP (M.McGowan) (02/25/86)

> The question was from where did the Minnesota Twins originate?  The
> answer given was the Washington Senators.  I am fairly certain that
> the Senators went to Arlington, Texas and became the Texas Rangers.
> If I am correct, was is the *right* answer?
>
> Thanks.

You probably saw lots of replies.
The Washington Senators (of Cal Griffith) went to Minnesota.
The Washington Senators (of Bob Short, coincidentally
of Minneapolis and truckin' fame) went to Texas, where this pundit
labeled them the Texas "Shorthorns", which they have been ever
since.

	Up to date?  By the way, the dates:

		Griffith Senators -- '61
		Shorthorns	  -- c. 70.

	Real trivia, name a manager of the 'New' Washington
Senators.

A:  Smailliw Det
--
	-- Marty MCGowan
uucp:	...!attunix!mcg		phone: 201-522-6092

pete@umcp-cs.UUCP (Pete Cottrell) (02/28/86)

>	Real trivia, name a manager of the 'New' Washington
>Senators.
>
>A:  Smailliw Det

Also Jim Lemon, who owned part of the club, and Gil Hodges, who
was traded to the Mets and eventually led them to their miracle
of 1969.