[net.games.trivia] Words For Letters

eklhad@ihnet.UUCP (K. A. Dahlke) (02/24/86)

I didn't know where to look this up, or who to ask,
or even what news group to post this under.
Since the information seems trivial, someone here must know.
When an officer calls in a license number (actually alpha numeric string),
words are substituted for letters to avoid phonetic ambiguities.
Thus, "OCZ345" is read "Ocean Charlie Zebra 3 4 5".
Can somebody tell me the actual 26 words used for the letters?
Thanks.
--
	Why don't we do it in the road?
			Karl Dahlke    ihnp4!ihnet!eklhad

rosen@gypsy.UUCP (02/26/86)

This is the official phonetic alphabet, but people always use whatever they
feel like.

Here goes:

       A - Alpha
       B - Bravo
       C - Charlie
       D - Delta
       E - Echo
       F - Foxtrot
       G - Golf
       H - Hotel
       I - India
       J - Juliet
       K - Kilo
       L - Lima
       M - Mike
       N - November
       O - Oscar
       P - Papa
       Q - Quebec
       R - Romeo
       S - Sierra
       T - Tango
       U - Uniform
       V - Victor
       W - Whiskey
       X - X-ray
       Y - Yankee
       Z - Zulu

silber@batcomputer.UUCP (03/04/86)

Phonetic Alphabets used by police, etc...  I have two versions:

A     Adam        Alpha
B     Boy         bravo
C     Charles     charlie (cocoa)
D     david       delta
E     edward      echo
F     frank       foxtrot (fox)
G     george      golf
H     henry       hotel
I     ida         india
J     john        juliette
K     king        kilo
L     lincoln     lima
M     mary        mike
N     nora        november
O     ocean       oscar
P     paul        papa
Q     queen       quebec
R     roberts     romeo
S     sam         sierra
T     tom         tango
U     union       uniform
V     victor      victor
W     william     whiskey
X     x-ray       x-ray
Y     young       yankee
Z     zebra       zulu

around here the first column is used more often, with an occasional
sprinkling from the second.

A million here, a million there ... they all add up.

Jeffrey A. Silber              silber@devvax.tn.cornell.edu
Business Manager               JAS@CORNELLD
Center for Theory & Simulation {decvax,ihnp4,cmcl2,vax135}!cornell!devvax!silber
   in Science & Engineering    265 Olin Hall
Cornell University             Ithaca, NY  14853

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (03/05/86)

> > When an officer calls in a license number (actually alpha numeric string),
> > words are substituted for letters to avoid phonetic ambiguities.
> > Thus, "OCZ345" is read "Ocean Charlie Zebra 3 4 5".
> > Can somebody tell me the actual 26 words used for the letters?
>
> This is the official phonetic alphabet, but people always use whatever they
> feel like.

The list given is the International Civil Aviation Organization's
phonetic alphabet.  It is the only phonetic alphabet which can be
considered both current and standardized.  I'm not sure that makes it
"official" for anything but aviation, though.  This alphabet was
constructed with the goal of being pronouncable by people who speak a
number of different languages.  [Side note: Lima is pronounced LEEma,
and Quebec is pronounced kayBECK].

The only other phonetic alphabet which had anything like a recognized
standard was the JAN (Joint Army/Navy) alphabet, circa WW-II.  It is
obsolete, having been replaced by the aforementioned ICAO alphabet.
The only remnant still in regular use is "Roger" when used to indicate
that the transmission was received and understood (often, it is also
used incorrectly to indicate agreement).

My memory of JAN is a bit rusty, but this should be close:   Able Baker
Charlie Dog Ernest Fox George Howe Item Jig King Love Mike Nan Oboe
Peter Queen Roger Sugar Tare Unit Victor Willie Xray Yoke Zebra.
(Well, I probably missed three or so...)
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {hardy,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

chandler@sun.uucp (Don Chandler) (03/13/86)

 writes:

> The only other phonetic alphabet which had anything like a recognized
> standard was the JAN (Joint Army/Navy) alphabet, circa WW-II.  It is
> obsolete, having been replaced by the aforementioned ICAO alphabet.
> The only remnant still in regular use is "Roger" when used to indicate
> that the transmission was received and understood (often, it is also
> used incorrectly to indicate agreement).
>
> My memory of JAN is a bit rusty, but this should be close:   Able Baker
> Charlie Dog Ernest Fox George Howe Item Jig King Love Mike Nan Oboe
> Peter Queen Roger Sugar Tare Unit Victor Willie Xray Yoke Zebra.
> (Well, I probably missed three or so...)

"Roger" you transmission !!  :-)

You missed four to be exact...........

	...Easy...How...Uncle...William   [Note that How is without
						an 'e'...nit picky I
						know.]

The ICAO alphabet is also in common use in marine radio transmissions.

I would hesitate, on this net, making absolute statements like "The ONLY
(my emphasis) other....".   And yes, there is at least one other that
I've seen.  The ARRL (American Radio Relay League) used to promote (and
maybe they still do) a different set of words for phonetic alphabet.
Unfortunately I don't remember them, but they used to be in several ARRL
publications including the Radio Amateur's Handbook.

	Don Chandler  -  Sun Microsystems