[comp.binaries.apple2] GS Shrinkit

SPC1@psuvm.psu.edu (08/27/90)

After reading several articles about Binscii and Shrinkit, I have found out
that there is a version for the GS.  If anyone can post it or let me know
where I can FTP a version your help would be greatly appreciated.

I also have a couple of questions about some files I FTPed.  When I got them
they weren't Binciied text files.  But actual .SHK files.  I tried downloading
them with all file types and unshrinking them but my shrinkit (v3.0.3) doesn't
recognize the archived format.   I'm hoping that the GS version of shrinkit
is the solution.  But any input on these two topics would be appreciated.

                                           Thanx in advance,
                                                    SPC1@PSUVM

brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (08/27/90)

     If you are correct in that v3.0.3 of ShrinkIt is out, could you or
another kind soul post it?  I only have 3.0.2, and I know it has at least
one rather major copy bug.  Does 3.0.x need a certain minumum ProDOS version?
     Speaking of GS Shrinkit, I have painfully noticed that it requires
at least System 5.0.2.  Naturally, I haven't been able to go from 5.0 to
5.0.2.  Exactly what files have changed with the 5.0 to 5.0.2 update?
Probably one with my luck.  :-)
     Thanks.
							Ken.
Kenneth R. Brownfield				   ken-b@uiuc.edu
Junior, Computer Science/Engineering.

coxr@ecn.purdue.edu (Richard L Cox) (08/28/90)

   I have tried to unpack som zoo archives on my GS with GS Shrinkit
(not sure of the version off hand).  It reconnizes the .zoo extention
but does not unpack them I get some error message.  Has anyone out there
gotten it to work?

|\/\/\/|              ------------------------------------------------------
|      |             |"Every silver lining's got a |coxr@en.ecn.purdue.edu  |
|      |             |     touch of grey..."       |                        |
|   (o)(o)           |-(Jerry Garcia,Robert Hunter)|Online America: RichKid |
\(o    >  ---------  |     The Grateful Dead       |                        |
 |    =  < Hey Man !  ------------------------------------------------------
 |   /    ---------
/    \

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug27.173535.15370@ecn.purdue.edu>, coxr@ecn.purdue.edu (Richard L Cox) writes:

>    I have tried to unpack som zoo archives on my GS with GS Shrinkit
> (not sure of the version off hand).  It reconnizes the .zoo extention
> but does not unpack them I get some error message.  Has anyone out there
> gotten it to work?

I have been successfully pulling zoos down and unpacking them with GSHK.

In function anyway, meaning that all the files are there and they are
all perfect internally when unpacked.

However, the filenames are always truncated or altered in some minor way.

--
Avery Ray Colter    Internet: avery@netcom.uucp   | {apple|claris}!netcom!avery
     o/~ Mama, mama, mama, keep those skinny girls at home,

coxr@ecn.purdue.edu (Richard L Cox) (08/31/90)

Thanks for the responce about GS Shrinkit and Zoo.  I got it to work but
now it unpacks all of the files as a binary file.  The text is in there
so I used change type to change it to type 04 (TXT) but the returns are
shown as inverse '?' using write it (NDA) and AppleWorks GS ignores
them.  To get the file back intact I had to load it into MicroEmacs and
save it again.  It displayed fine in Emacs and after being saved worked
everywhere else????  Any thoughts on this or a way to make it a little
easier.

Slowly learning...
-RLC

coxr@en.ecn.purdue.edu     American Online: Rich Kid
"And the kids they dance, they shake their bones" -GD

peace,

-Rich

vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vernon Williams) (09/01/90)

In article <1990Aug31.103713.7797@ecn.purdue.edu> coxr@ecn.purdue.edu (Richard L Cox) writes:

[stuff deleted]

>them.  To get the file back intact I had to load it into MicroEmacs and
>save it again.  It displayed fine in Emacs and after being saved worked
>everywhere else????  Any thoughts on this or a way to make it a little
>easier.

It could be that the file uses linefeeds (control-j) rather than returns
(control-m) to mark the end of a line. I don't know for sure, but this
might confuse whatever software you're using and it displays the "?" which
in general means "there's a control character here"

Though I'm sure that anyone on the net could do a better and faster job,
I'm writing a little program in assembly (my first real AL program folks!)
which will convert all control-J's to control-m's and vice versa. I manage
the Apple section on a unix-based BBS, and people had been complaining that
the text they uploaded came back as if there were no returns in them. This
is because unix uses (or so it seems) control-j (not -m). In any case I was
hoping to write a little ditty to take care of this. (If I were writing it
in BASIC I'd be done by now!)

>Slowly learning...

me too!

+-------------------------------------------------------+--------------------+
|Vernon Williams					| vw3@cunixf         |
|Evening Supervisor/Library Assistant			+--------------------+
|Thomas J. Watson Library of Business and Economics	| 130 Uris Hall      |

coxr@ecn.purdue.edu (Richard L Cox) (09/03/90)

Thanks for all the responces.  I got it figured out now.  Probably the
easiest solution anyone gave me was using the tr command for unix
although sed or awk would most likely work also in case anyone else was
wondering similar things.

dkl@nuchat.UUCP (david karl leikam) (09/03/90)

In article <1990Aug31.213335.28464@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vernon Williams) writes:

>I'm writing a little program in assembly (my first real AL program folks!)
>which will convert all control-J's to control-m's and vice versa. I manage
>the Apple section on a unix-based BBS, and people had been complaining that
>the text they uploaded came back as if there were no returns in them. This

	Until you get it written, just tell 'em to use Kermit, which will do
the translation on-the-fly. Slow, but fast enough for most text files.

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) (09/04/90)

In article <1990Aug31.213335.28464@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vernon Williams) writes:

> It could be that the file uses linefeeds (control-j) rather than returns
> (control-m) to mark the end of a line. I don't know for sure, but this
> might confuse whatever software you're using and it displays the "?" which
> in general means "there's a control character here"

Yes, unix files DO have linefeeds instead of carriage returns for line
termination. The type function in the 8-bit ShrinkIt programs is the only
one I've seen that can handle the text files correctly in that form.

> Though I'm sure that anyone on the net could do a better and faster job,
> I'm writing a little program in assembly (my first real AL program folks!)

Until he gets his done, (and I wish you every luck in doing so), there are
two ways around this.

On the Unix system itself, there is the tr command.

i.e. tr "\012" "\015" original.file target.file

There is also the FILTER command in the package PRO.CMDS, a package
of additional commands which can be installed into BASIC.SYSTEM.

--

gminette@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The Silver Dragon: AKA G. Minette) (09/10/90)

dkl@nuchat.UUCP (david karl leikam) scribbles...
>In article vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vernon Williams) writes:
>>
>>I'm writing a little program in assembly (my first real AL program folks!)
>>which will convert all control-J's to control-m's and vice versa. I manage
>>the Apple section on a unix-based BBS, and people had been complaining that
>>the text they uploaded came back as if there were no returns in them. This
>>
>	Until you get it written, just tell 'em to use Kermit, which will do
>the translation on-the-fly. Slow, but fast enough for most text files.

If anyone is interested, I have a program that I use that I wrote in
Orca/C that strips text files of about 400K in just a minute or so.
It isn't fancy, and it uses the plain text screen to interface with, but it
works.

If interested, please E-mail.

	-The Silver Dragon

--