[net.games.trivia] Obscure cartoon

jeff@utastro.UUCP (03/12/86)

In my younger days (circa 1960) I saw a few episodes of a cartoon
series on TV whose principal character was a somewhat scatterbrained
scientist/inventor called Clyde Crashcup.  I was in (I believe) the
San Francisco area at the time.  No one I have ever run into (besides
family members) has professed to have ever heard of this series,
and I have never seen it again after we left the area and went out
of American TV broadcasting (Europe) for three years.

What I would like is confirmation that somebody else has indeed
heard of this series, and maybe supply a few details, like what
studio did it, who did Crashcup's voice, what his (voiceless, I
think) sidekick's name was, and whatnot.

Jeff Brown the Scumbag
		{allegra,ihnp4}!{noao,ut-sally}!utastro!jeff
		jeff@astro.UTEXAS.EDU
Astronomy Department, U. of Texas, Austin 78712

halle@hou2b.UUCP (J.HALLE) (03/17/86)

Sure, I remember Clyde Crashcup.  He was one of the shorts on one of the
"adult" cartoon shows, like Tennessee Tuxedo.  I don't remember which
one.  I only remember one of his inventions.  He invented a game where
one player throws a stick at another, and the throwee tries to hit the
stick with a ball.  A very basic game.  Hence the name: basic ball.

nd2k@hounx.UUCP (A.SCHWARZ) (03/17/86)

	Clyde Crashcup (sp?) was a feature cartoon on the old
Alvin and the Chipmunks show. His silent sidekick's name was
Leonardo.

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (03/17/86)

In article <497@utastro.UUCP> jeff@utastro.UUCP writes:
>In my younger days (circa 1960) I saw a few episodes of a cartoon
>series on TV whose principal character was a somewhat scatterbrained
>scientist/inventor called Clyde Crashcup...

Yessss, I vaguely remember now. I think he appeared on the Beany and
Cecil show. He had this magic drawing board which made his crazy
inventions come to life. His sidekick was a short, dumpy fellow; that's
all I remember of him.

Have we jogged anyone's memory here?

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgua!cylixd!dave)

jeff@utastro.UUCP (Jeff Brown the Scumbag) (03/18/86)

I got ten replies to my request for Clyde Crashcup info (thanks,
one and all); here is the digest of what I received.

Clyde Crashcup appeared in the *Original* Alvin & the Chipmunks
show, by David Seville (who won a couple of Grammys, as I recall
now).  He was an inventor ("Clyde Crashcup, the GREAT inventor!")
who would draw things which would spring to 3-dimensional reality
from his drawings.  Clyde was tall and had a large pointed nose.
His sidekick was named Leonardo.  Leonardo never spoke aloud; he
only whispered in Clyde's ear.  Leonardo was short and had only a
fringe of hair.

Apparently Clyde appeared in an Alvin & the Chipmunks special
a couple of years ago (I missed it :-( ) but does not appear in
a new Alvin & the Chipmunks series (which I also have not seen)
but the few people to mention this new series did so in a derogatory
fashion.  I also gather that some places are fortunate enough to
have the old Alvin & the Chipmunks in syndication on Sunday mornings
and the like.

Thanks again, everybody.

Jeff Brown the Scumbag
		{allegra,ihnp4}!{noao,ut-sally}!utastro!jeff
		jeff@astro.UTEXAS.EDU
Astronomy Department, U. of Texas, Austin 78712

root@techsup (03/18/86)

/* Written 12:21 am  Mar 12, 1986 by utastro.U!jeff in techsup:net.games.triv */
/* ---------- "Obscure cartoon" ---------- */
In my younger days (circa 1960) I saw a few episodes of a cartoon
series on TV whose principal character was a somewhat scatterbrained
scientist/inventor called Clyde Crashcup.  I was in (I believe) the

What I would like is confirmation that somebody else has indeed
heard of this series, and maybe supply a few details, like what
studio did it, who did Crashcup's voice, what his (voiceless, I
think) sidekick's name was, and whatnot.

Jeff Brown the Scumbag
		{allegra,ihnp4}!{noao,ut-sally}!utastro!jeff
		jeff@astro.UTEXAS.EDU
Astronomy Department, U. of Texas, Austin 78712
/* End of text from techsup:net.games.triv */

I think Clyde was part of the original 'Alvin Show'.  His side kick
was named Leanardo, or similar.  His was almost literally 'reinventing the
wheel' in the most bizarre ways.

			Gary Kueck
			trsvax!techsup!root
			Radio Shack Technical Support #0220
			(817) 338-2288

mdr@bentley.UUCP (M. Rossner) (03/21/86)

>>In my younger days (circa 1960) I saw a few episodes of a cartoon
>>series on TV whose principal character was a somewhat scatterbrained
>>scientist/inventor called Clyde Crashcup...
>
>Yessss, I vaguely remember now. I think he appeared on the Beany and
>Cecil show. He had this magic drawing board which made his crazy
>inventions come to life. His sidekick was a short, dumpy fellow; that's
>all I remember of him.
>
>Have we jogged anyone's memory here?

  The one with the magic blackboard was Professor Whoopee on
"Tennessee Tuxedo" (with Don Adams in the title voice.

                     Marc D. Rossner
                     AT&T Bell Labs -- Liberty Corner, NJ

                     -- In Televisia Speramus --

aep@abic.UUCP (Alex Pensky) (03/23/86)

> Jeff Brown the Scumbag

.. wanted to know if anyone remembers Clyde Crashcup.

" ALEXANDER  GRAHAM  ..."	"No !"
" THOMAS ALVA ... "		"*NO*!!"
" Well, then, WHO?"		"Clyde Crashcup."
"Clyde CRASHCUP???"

Famous words of Alvin the Singing Chipmunk, introducing the famous inventor
Clyde Crashcup, who was a lesser character on the Chipmunks' show, akin to
Mr. Peabody on the Bullwinkle/Rocky show.  My guess would be that Dave Seville
was the voice of Clyde, as well as every other character on his show. It so
happens that my parents have an old Chipmunks album which contains a Clyde
Crashcup skit; next time I see them I will try to obtain the answers to Jeff's
other questions from the album cover, assuming no one else has already answered.