[comp.binaries.apple2] MeSsy-DOS

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (10/08/90)

Hmm...are you sure that was legal?  Apple (II and Mac) system software is
fairly loose as far as distribution goes, but MeSsy-DOS is almost like
commercial software--in fact, it probably is, considering that some companies
that sell Apple II stuff sell MeSsy-DOS (for your PC Transporter) for a hefty
wad of cash (Preferred Computing sells v4.01 for $85, I think).

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

kutcha@clotho.acm.rpi.edu (Phillip Rzewski) (10/08/90)

In article <2099@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> alfter@uns-helios.uucp(SCOTT ALFTER) writes:
>Hmm...are you sure that was legal?  Apple (II and Mac) system software is
>fairly loose as far as distribution goes, but MeSsy-DOS is almost like
>commercial software--in fact, it probably is, considering that some companies
>that sell Apple II stuff sell MeSsy-DOS (for your PC Transporter) for a hefty
>wad of cash (Preferred Computing sells v4.01 for $85, I think).

     I wouldn't get all bent out of shape. Point one, name wise, saying
MeSsy-DOS just implies that it is MS-DOS like, it does not say that it is an
MS-DOS shell nor does it say that it is necessarily trying to be one. This can
be seen pretty simply by the small size of MeSsy-DOS. I downloaded it and
looked at it and it came out to be no more than adding commands dir, online,
cd, and something else to BASIC.SYSTEM, nothing that I couldn't get in DAVEX or
I coulnd't alias by hand. It's still a cute little thing, but hardly something
that would get into a copyright dispute.
     And please, don't get MeSsy-DOS mixed up with MS-DOS. I think the idea is
that the guy named it MeSsy-DOS meaning it's a really simple addition of a
couple MS-DOS like commands to BASIC.SYSTEM. Just because it's a common slang
term doesn't mean that the person who was posting it was implying that it was,
in fact, MS-DOS.

 + -Phil Andrew Haldryan Rzewski        Internet: kutcha@clotho.acm.rpi.edu +
 + "I fileted them and ate them."       Bitnet:   USERF3DK@RPITSMTS.BITNET  +

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (10/09/90)

In article <3PT%6J%@rpi.edu> kutcha@clotho.acm.rpi.edu (Phillip Rzewski) writes:
>     I wouldn't get all bent out of shape. Point one, name wise, saying
>MeSsy-DOS just implies that it is MS-DOS like, it does not say that it is an
>MS-DOS shell nor does it say that it is necessarily trying to be one. This can

I guess that's what I get for constantly referring to MS-DOS as "MeSsy-DOS."

MeSsy-DOS  EQU  MS-DOS

:-)

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu (10/12/90)

Well, I guess maybe I should have been a little more careful. Here are a
few particulars that I got from other people (I don't use Basic.System any
more so it was kinda useless for me to bother unpacking it...):
     Adds the commands CD, DIR, and one other one I can't remember off hand
to the standard BASIC.SYSTEM. I am PRETTY sure it is not copy righted in any
way that makes it illegal to post it to the net since I originally got it from
AOL to begin with... Sorry about all the confusion...
| Salvatore A. Buttice | Bitnet: SAB121@PSUVM           \_ Preferred    |
| RD#1 Box 488         | InterNet: sab121@psuvm.psu.edu /  (It's Free!) |
| Espyville, PA 16424  | Cleveland FreeNet: aj670 \_ If the above does  |
|   Apple II ForEver!! | America Online: Sal15    /  not work for you!  |