[net.games.trivia] Coke, classic coke and new coke

hoffman@hdsvx1.UUCP (09/05/86)

[Net.games.trivia readers may skip to the last paragraph.]

Ihor Slabicky writes:
> Hey now, wait a minute!  I thought that old Coke = Coke Classic.
> Now you are saying that they are NOT THE SAME!?!?  WTFIGO?

Coke spokespeople stated at the time of the New Coke debacle that the
formula for Coke has changed *hundreds* of times since the "original,"
starting with the omission of cocaine (I understand that they still use
"spent" coca leaves, and that the disposal of the cocaine resulting from
the removal effort poses a considerable problem -- anyone have more info?),
and that there had been several formula changes in the years prior to New
Coke.  Other people have pointed out that the taste of Coke varies
considerable from bottler to bottler, as anyone who has ever had Coke in
Europe or Mexico can tell you.  New Coke was a formula that was aimed at
capturing a different market.  When it failed so spectacularly, they
reverted to another formula that was more similar to "old" Coke, but
probably retained some of the properties of New Coke in terms of being
cheaper to make and not quite so sweet.  But who knows?  Who cares?
IT'S JUST A SOFT DRINK, RIGHT?  I gave up on Coke when they bought Taylor
Wines, announcing their intention to control the entire beverage market.
People with such grand ambitions are not very likely to pay attention to
the integrity of a single product.

On a slightly different subject -- I recently saw one of those old-timey
Coke advertisements that they've been putting on mirrors lately, and on
it was a picture of a demure young Gibson Girl who had just had a dainty
sip of Coke and was sitting there with a spaced out, cocaine rush kind
of look on her face.  On the table is a scrap of paper with the words
"Good to the Last Drop."  I remember this as the old Maxwell House slogan.
[In _Never_Give_a_Sucker_an_Even_break_, W.C. Fields, falling from an
airplane, wishes for a "Maxwell parachute," because it's good to the last
drop.]  Was this ever officially the Coke slogan?  When did Maxwell start
using it?
--
 Richard Hoffman                | "Oh life is a wonderful cycle of song,
 Schlumberger Well Services     |     A medley of extemporanea.

daver@sci.UUCP (09/08/86)

I've noticed that Classic Coke now uses high fructose corn sweeteners.
As far as i remember, old Coke used sugar.  The new old coke seems to
taste more of corn syrup than the old old coke.

There was an article in Science News a month or so ago describing some
rather interesting experiments using high-fructose corn sweeteners.  Seems
they were feeding pigs this junk to see how good for pigs it was.  They had
to call off the experiment prematurely, as all the test group developed
heart problems.  Now, pigs are used in these experiments because a pig's
digestive system is remarkably close to a humans.

Anyway, has any pop manufacturer stopped using high-fructose corn sweeteners
as a result of this experiment?

david rickel
cae780!weitek!sci!daver

gilmore@trwrb.UUCP (Larry A. Gilmore) (09/11/86)

     At least in the late 40s, the only use I had ever heard of
     "good to the last drop" was indeed the Maxwell House coffee
     commercials.

marty@ism780c.UUCP (Marty Smith) (09/12/86)

In article <222@sci.UUCP> daver@sci.UUCP (Dave Rickel) writes:
>Anyway, has any pop manufacturer stopped using high-fructose corn sweeteners
>as a result of this experiment?

I think corn is sweet enough as it is, and I believe the use of corn
sweeteners is nothing but a diversion.

				      Marty Smith