[net.games.trivia] Maxwell House Slogan

smdev@csustan.UUCP (Scott Hazen Mueller) (09/09/86)

In article <> hoffman@hdsvx1.UUCP writes:
> On the table is a scrap of paper with the words
>"Good to the Last Drop."  I remember this as the old Maxwell House slogan.
> Was this ever officially the Coke slogan?  When did Maxwell start
>using it?
>--
> Richard Hoffman

This one I know.  It was always a Maxwell House slogan.  It originated with
Theodore Roosevelt (that's right, the President) way back when.  Old TR was
always a colorful sort... Once, when he was out hunting, he and his companions
came across a bear caught in a beartrap.  He refused to kill this bear and the
story made the newspapers.  Shortly after, a shopkeeper who had a stuffed
bear for sale put the bear in his window with a sign "Teddy's Bear".  Instant
hit...
                          \scott
--
Scott Hazen Mueller                         lll-crg.arpa!csustan!smdev
City of Turlock                             work:  (209) 668-5590 -or- 5628

WDMCU@CUNYVM.BITNET (09/12/86)

In article <164@csustan.UUCP>, smdev@csustan.UUCP (Scott Hazen Mueller) says:

>Theodore Roosevelt (that's right, the President) way back when.  Old TR was
>always a colorful sort... Once, when he was out hunting, he and his companions
>came across a bear caught in a beartrap.  He refused to kill this bear and the
>story made the newspapers.  Shortly after, a shopkeeper who had a stuffed
>bear for sale put the bear in his window with a sign "Teddy's Bear".  Instant
>hit...
>                          \scott
>--
This one I KNOW as the shopkeeper in question was my great-grandfather.
The story goes like this:
Morris and Rose Michtom (the shopkeepers) saw a political carton by
Berryman (1st name escapes me) of TR refusing to kill a bear while hunting
in Louisianna and Rose stitched together the aforementioned bear. Then Morris
(as legend has it) wrote a letter to Roosevelt asking his permission to use
TR's name. Roosevelt (as legend also has it) wrote back saying he saw no
reason why his name would make any difference to the bear or the public, but,
nonetheless allowed the use of "Teddy's Bear" as noted above. It was enough
of a hit that Morris went on to found the IDEAL Toy Corporation on the strength
of the Teddy Bear.
/*--------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/* Bill Michtom - work: (212) 903-3685 home: (718) 788-5946           */
/*                                                                    */
/*      WDMCU@CUNYVM (Bitnet)        Timelessness is transient        */
/*      BILL@BITNIC  (Bitnet)                                         */
/*                                                                    */
/*        Never blame on malice that which can be adequately          */
/*                    explained by stupidity.                         */
/* I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, */
/*       but they've always worked for me. - Hunter S. Thompson       */
/*--------------------------------------------------------------------*/

edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (09/14/86)

In article <164@csustan.UUCP> smdev@csustan.UUCP (Scott Hazen Mueller) writes:
>In article <> hoffman@hdsvx1.UUCP writes:
>>"Good to the Last Drop."  I remember this as the old Maxwell House slogan.
>> Was this ever officially the Coke slogan?  When did Maxwell start using it?
>
>This one I know.  It was always a Maxwell House slogan.  It originated with
>Theodore Roosevelt (that's right, the President) way back when.  Old TR was
>always a colorful sort... Once, when he was out hunting, he and his companions
>came across a bear caught in a beartrap.  He refused to kill this bear and the
>story made the newspapers.  Shortly after, a shopkeeper who had a stuffed
>bear for sale put the bear in his window with a sign "Teddy's Bear".  Instant
>hit...

Uh, what do Teddy bears have to do with Maxwell House coffee? Weren't you
supposed to regale us with a whimsical tale about how Maxwell made a
fortune with one of ol' Teddy's quips?

--
Edward C. Bennett

UUCP: ihnp4!cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!edward

Kentucky:  The state that needs a lottery to educate it's children.

"Goodnight M.A."

guest@csustan.UUCP (Chris Rhodes) (09/23/86)

<==============~~<  (my mental image of the lineeater...)

In article <609@ukecc.UUCP> edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) writes:

(some stuff about Maxwell House, and Roosevelt, and Teddy Bears.)

>Uh, what do Teddy bears have to do with Maxwell House coffee? Weren't you
>supposed to regale us with a whimsical tale about how Maxwell made a
>fortune with one of ol' Teddy's quips?
>
>--
>Edward C. Bennett
>
>UUCP: ihnp4!cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!edward
>
>Kentucky:  The state that needs a lottery to educate it's children.
                                                      ^^^^
                                            are you sure there's
                                            supposed to be an
                                            appostrophe here?

>"Goodnight M.A."

/*  Chris Rhodes / Shooting Shark
 *  Currently cowering behind lll-crg!csustan!guest
 *  real uucp : lll-crg!csuh!shark -or- lll-crg!ptsfa!harlie!shark
 *  My opinions *are* those of csustan!  Yeah, they made me spokesman, ah,
 */ president of the university!  Yeah, *that's* the ticket!

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (09/29/86)

In article <192@csustan.UUCP>, guest@csustan.UUCP (Chris Rhodes) writes:
> <==============~~<  (my mental image of the lineeater...)
>
> In article <609@ukecc.UUCP> edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) writes:
>
> (some stuff about Maxwell House, and Roosevelt, and Teddy Bears.)
>
> >Edward C. Bennett
> >
> >UUCP: ihnp4!cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!edward
> >
> >Kentucky:  The state that needs a lottery to educate it's children.
>                                                       ^^^^
>                                             are you sure there's
>                                             supposed to be an
>                                             appostrophe here?

Of course he's _sure_.  The problem is that he's wrong anyway.

Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...akgua!akguc!codas!peora!ucf-cs!usfvax2!jc3b21!fgd3