[net.games.trivia] More sports Trivia

rha@bunker.UUCP (Robert H. Averack) (11/24/86)

In article <1449@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU> speter@athena.mit.edu (Peter Osgood) writes:
>Can you name what these teams are known as now and where
>they are?

           Peter Osgood's questions                   Bob Averack's solutions
           ------------------------                   -----------------------

>	Minneapolis Lakers  -basketball               Los Angeles Lakers
>	New York Titans  -football               Hackensack (:-) New York) Jets
>	Dallas Texans  -football                      Kansas City Chiefs
>	St. Louis Browns  -baseball                   Baltimore Orioles
>	Buffalo Braves  -basketball                   Los Angeles Clippers
>	Cincinnati Royals  -basketball                Sacramento Kings
>	Syracuse Nationals  -basketball               Philadelphia 76'ers
>	Houston Colt 45's  -football                  Houston Astros
>	Seattle Pilots  -baseball                     Milwaukee Brewers
>	Washington Senators of 1959  -baseball        Minnesota Twins   (***)
>	Boston Bees  -baseball                        Atlanta Braves
>
>There are no trick answers here but some are not as obvious as they
>may at first seem.
>
>				---peter osgood---

(***)  I think you are referring to the first Senators team, which moved to
       Minnesota.  The second Senators team (ca. 1961) became the Texas
       Rangers.

Now, what about the:

     Kansas City Scouts - hockey
     Oakland Seals - hockey
     Chicago Zephyrs - basketball
     San Diego Rockets - basketball
?????

--

 ?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?
 {  (Bob Averack @ Bunker Ramo/Olivetti)   {decvax!, ittatc!, philabs!}  }

In article <194@netxcom.UUCP> rkolker@netxcom.UUCP (Rick Kolker) writes:
>>	Buffalo Braves  -basketball
>Utah (former new orleans) Jazz (maybe)?
>>	Syracuse Nationals  -basketball

     The Buffalo Braves moved to San Diego and became the Clippers.  Later,
they moved to Los Angeles.  The Syracuse Nationals became the Philadelphia
76'ers.

>How about this?
>
>There were teams in the original American League called the Milwaukee Brewers
>and Baltimore Orioles.  Where are they now?

     R U sure about this?  I think the original Brewers and Orioles were
International League teams, farm clubs for the Chicago White Sox and the
Boston Red Sox, respectively.  In fact, before joining the Red Sox in 1915,
Babe Ruth played for his hometown Baltimore Orioles.

>At one point team moves were expected for the Oakland A's and
>SD Padres, to the extent the baseball card people printed cards
>with the new cities.  What cities?

     I think the new homes were Denver and Washington, D.C., respectively.

>Where did the Yankees play their games before the Stadium was built, where did the
>Boston Braves Play,.

     The Yankees were known as the New York Highlanders and played in
Highlander Park in either Harlem or Washington Heights from 1903 through
1918 (my dates may be off).  Then, they became the Yankees and moved to
the Polo Grounds, sharing those facilities with the New York Giants, while
they awaited completion of Yankee Stadium, across the Harlem River in the
Bronx.  They started playing in Yankee Stadium in 1923.

     As for the Boston Braves, yo no se.

>enough for now.

     Thanks, Rich, I gotta get back to work!   :-)   :-)   :-)

--

 ?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?

In article <760@ptsfc.UUCP> tonti@ptsfc.UUCP (Guy Tonti) writes:

>How about the:
>	Chicago Packers  -basketball
>
>Also, name the original 8 members, with nicknames, of the AFL?

     I think the Chicago Packers became the Chicago Bulls.  There was also
a team called the Chicago Zephyrs, which became the Baltimore, then Capital,
now Washington Bullets.

     The original 8 AFL teams, (boy, how I miss that league :-) ) were:

Boston Patriots, Buffalo Bills, Dallas Texans, Denver Broncos,
Houston Oilers, New York Titans, Oakland Raiders, Los Angeles Chargers.

     The Pats moved from Fenway Park to Foxboro and became "New England",
the Bills moved from War Memorial (don't hang around there after dark)
Stadium to Orchard Park, the Dallas Texans became the Kansas City Chiefs,
via Municipal Stadium and Arrowhead, the Broncos (bless their souls)
remained "mile high", the Oilers moved from Rice Stadium to the Dome,
the Titans of the Polo Grounds became the Jets and moved to Shea Stadium
(now the, yuck, New Jersey Meadowlands), the Raiders abandoned the East
Bay as per his royal demagogue, Al Davis, and the L.A. Chargers moved
120 miles south to Jack Murphy (San Diego) Stadium.

--

 ?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?

speter@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Peter Osgood) (11/25/86)

In article <1328@bunker.UUCP> rha@bunker.UUCP (Robert H. Averack) writes:
>In article <194@netxcom.UUCP> rkolker@netxcom.UUCP (Rick Kolker) writes:
>
>     The Buffalo Braves moved to San Diego and became the Clippers.  Later,
>they moved to Los Angeles.  The Syracuse Nationals became the Philadelphia
>76'ers.

This is the one everyone has gotten caught on.  It was not intended to be
a trick question but maybe in fact that is the way it has worked out.
Anyway, in 1978 John Y. Brown, then owner of the Boston Celtics, ran a
deal with the owners of the Buffalo Braves (The Jacobs Bros. I believe).
In effect what happened was the Braves team was moved to Boston with
most of its players and became the Celtics.  The Celtics team with most
of its players were moved to a new team in San Diego.  So now the old
Braves owners were the Celtic owners and John Y. Brown sold his franchise
to San Diego investors.  In essence one Boston franchise went out of
existance and was replaced by the Braves franchise.  This is, BTW, how
Bob McAdoo came to Boston.  A couple of asides  1)  Red Auerbach had
threatened to retire, he really hated Brown  2) Chris Ford and Cedric
Maxwell were allowed to remain in Boston because of contracts 3) Dave
Cowens did retire.

Now, the Utah Jazz are actually a combination of the old Utah Stars
and the New Orleans Jazz.

				---peter osgood---

rkolker@netxcom.UUCP (Rick Kolker) (11/25/86)

In article <1328@bunker.UUCP> rha@bunker.UUCP (Robert H. Averack) writes:
>In article <194@netxcom.UUCP> rkolker@netxcom.UUCP (Rick Kolker) writes:
>>How about this?
>>
>>There were teams in the original American League called the Milwaukee Brewers
>>and Baltimore Orioles.  Where are they now?
>
>     R U sure about this?  I think the original Brewers and Orioles were
>International League teams, farm clubs for the Chicago White Sox and the
>Boston Red Sox, respectively.  In fact, before joining the Red Sox in 1915,
>Babe Ruth played for his hometown Baltimore Orioles.

Not absolutely.  I heard it on a radio
talk show som,etime (with a third team I can't remember added.
The answers are (I think)  The Brewers moved to St. Louis and became the Browns,
later the Orioles (although the management forgets that)
The original Orioles became the Highlanders, later the
Yankees.  "moved" in this case may be a way of
saying "went broke and sold out".

Anyone know for sure?

>     As for the Boston Braves, yo no se.

I think (again, memory) the braves played in a bandbox known as the "Baker Bowl"
(or was that the Phila. A's's)
apologies for the typos, my terminal is sick

One new one...

Where did the New York Stars (later Charlotte Hornets) of the WFL play?
(in new york)

+------------------------------------^----------------------------------------+
|    Rich Kolker                    / \
|    8519 White Pine Dr.           / * \      It lives again
|    Manassas Park, VA 22111      |     |
|    (703)361-1290                |  ^  |
+---------------------------------v/---\v-------------------------------------+

rha@bunker.UUCP (Robert H. Averack) (11/26/86)

In article <1479@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU> speter@athena.mit.edu (Peter Osgood) writes:
>>     The Buffalo Braves moved to San Diego and became the Clippers.  Later,
>>they moved to Los Angeles.  The Syracuse Nationals became the Philadelphia
>>76'ers.
>
>This is the one everyone has gotten caught on.  It was not intended to be
>a trick question but maybe in fact that is the way it has worked out.
>Anyway, in 1978 John Y. Brown, then owner of the Boston Celtics, ran a
>deal with the owners of the Buffalo Braves (The Jacobs Bros. I believe).
>In effect what happened was the Braves team was moved to Boston with
>most of its players and became the Celtics.  The Celtics team with most
>of its players were moved to a new team in San Diego.  So now the old
>Braves owners were the Celtic owners and John Y. Brown sold his franchise
>to San Diego investors.  In essence one Boston franchise went out of
>existance and was replaced by the Braves franchise.  This is, BTW, how
>Bob McAdoo came to Boston.  A couple of asides  1)  Red Auerbach had
>threatened to retire, he really hated Brown  2) Chris Ford and Cedric
>Maxwell were allowed to remain in Boston because of contracts 3) Dave
>Cowens did retire.

     Are you sure about this Peter?  As I remember it (I lived in Buffalo
from 1976-1978), the franchise swap was, simply, a swap of title, with the
teams remaining, in tact and under new ownership, in their original cities
(this is the same thing that happened between the Los Angeles Rams and the
Baltimore Colts, when Robert Irsay and Carroll Rosenbloom swapped titles).
Following this, the Braves were moved to San Diego.

>Now, the Utah Jazz are actually a combination of the old Utah Stars
>and the New Orleans Jazz.

     I also believe this to be false.  The Utah Stars, like the Kentucky
Colonels, Virginia Squires, et. al., were dropped when the American Basketball
Association's New Jersey Nets, Indiana Pacers, San Antonio Spurs and Denver
Nuggets were merged into the NBA.  The New Orleans Jazz was an NBA expansion
team which was subsequently moved to Salt Lake City, two (I believe) years
after the ABA/NBA Merger.

     Of course, I could be mistaking.......Happy Thanksgiving, Peter.

--

 ?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?

In article <201@netxcom.UUCP> rkolker@netxcom.UUCP (Rick Kolker) writes:

>I think (again, memory) the braves played in a bandbox known as the "Baker Bowl"
>(or was that the Phila. A's's)
>apologies for the typos, my terminal is sick

     No problem about the typos, mon ami.  Baker Bowl sure sounds a lot like
Baker Stadium, the home of the Columbia University Lions Football team.

>One new one...
>
>Where did the New York Stars (later Charlotte Hornets) of the WFL play?
>(in new york)

     I got this one wrapped up.  The World Football League's New York Stars
were responsible for the refurbishment (uh, somewhat :-) ) of the home field
of my beloved Alma Mater, STUYVESANT HIGH SCHOOL (Class of '74).  The name
of the field is Downing Stadium, and it sits on Randalls Island, where the
East River meets Long Island Sound, and with the lovely Triborough Bridge
passing along side it.

     GO PEGLEGS (Stuyvesant, that is!).  Lord, sniff, how I miss those days.

--