[comp.binaries.apple2] I'm new here...

valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) (12/17/90)

I used to be well-versed in Apple // stuff (like 7 years ago), but
haven't done anything with it since then.  Now, my parents have a
machine, and they'd like to be able to telecom with it.

So I have two questions:
	1) How do I unpack and use stuff posted here?  (I'm real
familiar with uuencode/decode, arc, zip, etc under MS/DOS and Unix; just
not up on the Apple stuff)
	2) What is a good telecom program?  I'd used AE Pro (Ascii
Express Professional) for many years, but all my copies of it now seem
to be munged, so I'm looking...

Thanks...  (My parents have a //e)

In article <valley.661414581@gsbsun> valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) writes:
>I used to be well-versed in Apple // stuff (like 7 years ago), but
>haven't done anything with it since then.  Now, my parents have a
>machine, and they'd like to be able to telecom with it.
>So I have two questions:
>	1) How do I unpack and use stuff posted here?  (I'm real
>familiar with uuencode/decode, arc, zip, etc under MS/DOS and Unix; just
>not up on the Apple stuff)
>	2) What is a good telecom program?  I'd used AE Pro (Ascii
>Express Professional) for many years, but all my copies of it now seem
>to be munged, so I'm looking...
>Thanks...  (My parents have a //e)
	  (You can upgrade a //e to a IIGS for about $500, in case you
wondered)

        You need to get BINSCII and SHRINKIT to unpack the programs..

        BINSCII is sort of like a uudecode progam which changes text
back into a program...  Shrinkit is like Zip and Arc...

        ProTERM is THE BEST program around... It beats Ascii Express
Professional by a mile and that's a hard thing to do! (I am a total
fan of AE pro!!!)

	I can't figure out what address you are at so I can't send you
BINSCII or Shrinkit.

	I tried writing to valley@uchicago and it gave me a Host Unknown
bounceback.. I tried writing to valley@uchicago.edu and it gave me a
User Unknown bounceback..

	My usual solution for mail problems (telnet jade.berkeley.edu 117
anyone out there can try it!), didn't help me find any other routings to
a "uchicago"...

	ALSO, it's a bad idea to post messages to comp.binaries.apple2...
I am just doing this in case you might not read comp.sys.apple2 for some
very odd reason.
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
|WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. |