[net.followup] Reverse Discrimination

pete@valid.UUCP (Pete Zakel) (07/17/86)

> Think the United Negro College Fund  would have  given me a
> scholarship?  Not a chance.  Think that if I created the United White
> Boys College Fund, the ACLU would drag my butt into court.   You Bet!
> (And rightly so, I might add.)

Actually, no.  If you set up a private fund you may give money to whatever
group you wish.  If you set up a PUBLICLY funded scholership program it had
better help the public at large in a non-discriminatory manner, but private
scholarship programs can be targeted (and many ARE targeted) at any selected
group you wish.  White protestant blue-eyed redheads of Irish descent? No
problem.  Purple wingajammies from the planet Thyroid?  Go for it!
--
-Pete Zakel (..!{hplabs,amd,pyramid,ihnp4}!pesnta!valid!pete)

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (07/18/86)

> > Think the United Negro College Fund  would have  given me a
> > scholarship?  Not a chance.  Think that if I created the United White
> > Boys College Fund, the ACLU would drag my butt into court.   You Bet!
> > (And rightly so, I might add.)
>
> Actually, no.  If you set up a private fund you may give money to whatever
> group you wish.  If you set up a PUBLICLY funded scholership program it had
> better help the public at large in a non-discriminatory manner, but private
> scholarship programs can be targeted (and many ARE targeted) at any selected
> group you wish.  White protestant blue-eyed redheads of Irish descent? No
> problem.  Purple wingajammies from the planet Thyroid?  Go for it!
> --
> -Pete Zakel (..!{hplabs,amd,pyramid,ihnp4}!pesnta!valid!pete)

The distinction between "private" and "public" has been largely abolished
by anti-discrimination laws.  It's illegal to discriminate in employment
and housing, even if you are not a government contractor.  I doubt highly
that the "United White Boys College Fund" would be legal -- but scholar-
ships were administered by my high school specifically for blacks,
Hispanics, and people of Italian descent.  I KNOW that the courts would
not have allowed them to administer the "UWBCF" scholarship fund.  This
is just plain hypocrisy.

Clayton E. Cramer

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (07/23/86)

In article <926@kontron.UUCP> cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
>>[...]
>The distinction between "private" and "public" has been largely abolished
>by anti-discrimination laws.[...] 	I doubt highly
>that the "United White Boys College Fund" would be legal -- but scholar-
>ships were administered by my high school specifically for blacks,
>Hispanics, and people of Italian descent.  I KNOW that the courts would
>not have allowed them to administer the "UWBCF" scholarship fund.  This
>is just plain hypocrisy.

A relative of my wife's (several generations back, I think) set up just
such a private fund.  It was challenged a few years back, but was upheld
by the courts.