[comp.binaries.apple2] FTP

bbs.brennan@spies.com (Millennium Core) (05/27/91)

        Can someone explain how to get onto FTP sites and post up some
numbers or whatever?

Brennan
(in No. California)

--
Millennium Core (bbs.brennan@spies.com)

Spies in the Wire, PUBLIC ACCESS UNIX  -- (408) 867-7400

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (05/28/91)

In article <7wFL34w164w@spies.com> bbs.brennan@spies.com (Millennium Core) writes:
>        Can someone explain how to get onto FTP sites and post up some
>numbers or whatever?

This is NOT a "hacker BBS"!  To get an account on some system that has
Internet access, you need to talk to the system's management.  (Logging
into a system to which you have not been granted authorization is a felony,
and I think posting login information falls into the same category.)

wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (05/28/91)

There are several hundred FTP site around the world that allow
"anonymous" ftp over the internet. To use these sites you need access to
the internet. If you're a college student, this may be easy to arrange.
via your local student account. If you're ina large metro area, there may be
public accessunix available for a charge.
Clarence Wilkerson

bbs.brennan@spies.com (Millennium Core) (05/29/91)

        I didn't mean it in that context, sheesh.  I was just inquiring as
to the nature of FTPs and how I might obtain access, not how to logon
unauthorized!

Brennan
PDE Santa Clara

--

matthew@pro-nka.cts.com (Matthew McGehrin) (05/30/91)

>>        Can someone explain how to get onto FTP sites and post up some
>>numbers or whatever?
>
>This is NOT a "hacker BBS"!  To get an account on some system that has
>Internet access, you need to talk to the system's management.  (Logging
>into a system to which you have not been granted authorization is a
felony,
>and I think posting login information falls into the same category.)

Doug,
        Hey buddy, this guy was just asking how to FTP files, there is
nothing, i repeat nothing illegal with FTP. I dont even see how hacking has
to do with what the post was. Anyhow all you military guys are parnoid!!

Internet : matthew@pro-nka.cts.com  | Call Pro-Nka Today.
    Uucp : crash!pro-nka!matthew    |
                                    | 1-201-944-3102. 3/12/24/96 v.32/v.42
All thoughts are Copyright 1991     |     24 hours - Leonia, NJ, USA
____________________________________|__________________________________________

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (05/31/91)

matthew@pro-nka.cts.com (Matthew McGehrin) writes:
>gwyn@smoke.brl.mil () writes:
>>@ () writes:

>>>        Can someone explain how to get onto FTP sites and post up some
>>>numbers or whatever?

>>This is NOT a "hacker BBS"!  To get an account on some system that has
>>Internet access, you need to talk to the system's management.  (Logging
>>into a system to which you have not been granted authorization is a felony,
>>and I think posting login information falls into the same category.)

>        Hey buddy, this guy was just asking how to FTP files, there is
>nothing, i repeat nothing illegal with FTP. I dont even see how hacking has
>to do with what the post was. Anyhow all you military guys are parnoid!!

"Post up some numbers" is a euphemism of posting information on how to
obtain access to a system, usually meaning account-password combinations.
Almost always illegal.

Looking carefully, it could be that he is requesting FTP site addresses to
be posted to the net.  The way it is phrased, another interpretation could
be asking how to get into FTP sites to "post up some numbers" on them.

This now sounds more like something that should go into alt.usage.english,
and is so crossposted and Followup-To_ed.

--
///   ____   \\\ "The major problem--one of the major problems, for there are
| |/ /    \ \| |       several--one of the many major problems with governing
 \\_|\____/|_//            people is of whom you get to do it, or more to the
greg \_\\\/ hoss.unl.edu    point, who gets people to let them do it to them."