[comp.binaries.apple2] FTP Sites

warren.e@pro-beagle.cts.com (Warren Ernst) (05/29/91)

Hacker/pirate BBS my butt! There's nothing subversive about FTP sites and
getting into them. Here's a quickie primer, at least from a UNIX
envirnment:

>From the % prompt type "ftp location_name" or "ftp location_number". For
example, if you want to get into apple2.umich's ftp, type in "ftp
141.211.165.34".

Next you must login. In general, you should login as "anonymous". For a
password, use your login name from your home system. For example, mine
would be wernst@ucsd or something like that. If anonymous doesn't work, its
not meant for general access to it.

Use "cd" and "ls" to manuver through directories. To get a file, get into
the directory with the file and type "get filename", and it will be sent
into your UNIX account.

If the file ends in ".bsq", you must, after downloading(I use Kermit) run
it through Binscii to convert it from ascii text to something Shrinkit can
unpack, and then Unshrinkit, and BOOM, you have the file in a useable
format.

There's no reason to so damn uptight about computers. Jeeesh! The Apple //
universe is depressing enough already.

-Warren Ernst
warren.e@pro-Beagle.cts.com
wernst@ucsd.edu
        GEnie too

knauer@robk (Rob Knauerhase) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May29.083631.21854@crash.cts.com> warren.e@pro-beagle.cts.com (Warren Ernst) writes:
>There's no reason to so damn uptight about computers. Jeeesh! The Apple //
>universe is depressing enough already.

Sigh.  I hate the net.police as much as the next guy (perhaps more) but:

PEOPLE, PLEASE!  THIS GROUP IS CALLED COMP.*BINARIES*.APPLE2 FOR A REASON.
There's a whole big wonderful newsgroup for chitchat; this is for *stuff you
can run*, OK?

Rob
--
Rob C. Knauerhase         | Intel Developer Tools Organization (for the summer)
"I get my exercise acting | Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of CS, Gigabit Study Group

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.083631.21854@crash.cts.com> warren.e@pro-beagle.cts.com (Warren Ernst) writes:
>There's no reason to so damn uptight about computers. Jeeesh! The Apple //
>universe is depressing enough already.

Sorry -- it wasn't clear to me that the requestor simply wanted the
Internet host addresses for hosts supporting anonymous FTP.  It sounded
to me more like a request for dialup phone numbers etc.  It would help
if people would use correct terminology..

gillat@ecs.umass.edu (06/09/91)

can someone post a list of FTP sites???