[comp.std.c] Do we need this newsgroup any more?

bill@proxftl.UUCP (T. William Wells) (09/07/88)

I have noticed that the volume in this newsgroup has fallen
almost to zero.  This is because the new C standard is almost
complete and already out in the real world.  As evidence for
that, note the number of postings that discuss the new standard
on comp.lang.c.

I suggest that we acknowledge this reality by getting rid of this
group and holding further discussions on comp.lang.c.

Any comments?

(That'll get the volume up! Heh Heh. :-)

---
Bill
novavax!proxftl!bill

In article <717@proxftl.UUCP> bill@proxftl.UUCP (T. William Wells) writes:
>I have noticed that the volume in this newsgroup has fallen
>almost to zero.

When I saw this, I checked the timestamps on the unexpired articles at this
site and found that, on the average, 4.5 arrived each working day.  That isn't
what I would call near-zero volume.  Perhaps you were observing the holiday
lull?  (Including the weekend articles would lower the average to 3.6, which
is, although low in comparison with comp.lang.c, still reasonable compared to
*really* low-volume newsgroups like comp.std.misc.)

>... note the number of postings that discuss the new standard on comp.lang.c.

So, why not try to move those postings to comp.std.c, where they belong?  As
long as we have the two newsgroups, we ought to try to use them to reduce the
uncomfortably heavy traffic in comp.lang.c.