[comp.std.c] Wanted: POSIX and ANSI C, details and libraries

lmjm@doc.ic.ac.uk (Lee McLoughlin) (03/29/89)

I'm working on large program that I want to be as portable as
possible.  Although it is mainly aimed at Unix boxes I thought I'd
throw caution to the wind and write it using the emerging standards:
POSIX and ANSI C.

The first problem is how do I get ahold of the POSIX spec' in the UK?
Although I've heard a lot of discussion about POSIX and seen some
libraries that a POSIX compatiable (Doug Gwyn's directory scanning
code for example) I don't recall seeing the name of a book, or whatever,
detailing POSIX.

ANSI C is easier to get ahold of details.  I just bought the 2nd edition
of K&R.  It seems to be a good general guide, but stddef.h, errno.h and
locale.h don't seem to be documented anywhere.

I'd really like pointers to official publications detailing POSIX and ANSI C.
If anyone knows how to get them in the UK I'd be very grateful.

While I'm asking I'd like public or freely available implementation of
POSIX or ANSI C libraries so that I can port to a wider range of systems.
So far I've only Doug Gwyn's directory stuff and a couple of
programs for converting ANSI C to K&R C (ansi2kr an agcp).  Any other
contributions would be greatly appreciated.

	thanx in advance
		Lee
--
Lee McLoughlin			01 589 5111 X 5028
Department of Computing,Imperial College,180 Queens Gate,London SW7 2BZ, UK

boykin@calliope.Encore.COM (Joseph Boykin) (03/29/89)

In article <746@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> lmjm@doc.ic.ac.uk (Lee McLoughlin) writes:
>The first problem is how do I get ahold of the POSIX spec' in the UK?

Firstly, POSIX is actually the name for what will become a set of standards.
The only one currently approved is 1003.1, the system interface definition
(i.e. system calls).  P1003.2 recently went through its first ballot.
I haven't heard what the results were, but generally it takes about 6-9 months
before all the balloting objections are taken care of and a final ballot
is taken.

So, while "POSIX" may not be more than one standard today, there will
be more than one by the end of the year.  There are numerous others in
development as well.

Information on obtaining a coy of the 1003.1 standard is below.  If you
are interested in becoming active in the POSIX effort, which can mean
anything from just obtaining a copy of the draft documents to actively
participating in meetings, you should contact:

	Jim Isaak
	Chair, Technical Committee on Operating Systems
		Subcommittee on Operating System Standards (TCOS-SS for short!)
	DEC, MS ZK03-3/Y25
	110 Spit Brook Road
	Nashua, NH   03062
	603-881-0480

You can obtain a copy of the 1003.1 document from either the IEEE Service
Center, or from IEEE-CS Publications.  The catalog for the IEEE was the
top-most on my desk, so here's the information:

	Standard Number:	1003.1-1988
	Code:			SH12211
	Cost:			$32.00 ($16 for IEEE Members)

	Provide Name, Address and IEEE Membership number and send your
	check or credit card number to:
		IEEE Service Center
		445 Hoes Lane
		PO Box 1331
		Piscataway, NJ   08855

	in Canada:
		IEEE Canada
		7061 Yonge Street
		Thornhill, Ontario L3T 2A6

Hope this helps.

----

Joe Boykin
Encore Computer Corp
Vice-Chair, IEEE Computer Societies'
    Technical Activities Board

UUCP: encore!boykin
ARPA: boykin@encore.com

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (03/30/89)

In article <746@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> lmjm@doc.ic.ac.uk (Lee McLoughlin) writes:
>The first problem is how do I get ahold of the POSIX spec' in the UK?

IEEE Std 1003.1-1988,  "IEEE Standard -- Portable Operating System Interface
for Computer Environments" (ISBN 1-55937-003-3), is published by The Institute
of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc, 345 East 47th Street, New York,
NY 10017, USA; I believe they sell directly to the public, presumably
including the UK.

>I don't recall seeing the name of a book, or whatever, detailing POSIX.

I don't know of any (yet).

>ANSI C is easier to get ahold of details.  I just bought the 2nd edition
>of K&R.  It seems to be a good general guide, but stddef.h, errno.h and
>locale.h don't seem to be documented anywhere.

Unless you need to use the "internationalization" features, K&R2 is probably
a sufficient guide for most programming under ANSI C.  The actual ANSI C
standard has not yet been published, although we expect it to be within a
few months.  There are several books in mass-market bookstores around here
that purport to explain how to program in "ANSI C"; all of them are a bit
premature at this point, but they may not be far wrong (I haven't examined
any other than K&R2).

nmm@cl.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) (03/30/89)

The people to contact about both POSIX and ANSI C in this country are
the BSI.  There is likely to be another ISO Draft Proposal on ANSI C,
with a corresponding BSI DP, and that is a good opportunity to get a
copy of the current draft.  POSIX I am less in touch with.  I am not sure
of the best address to contact in the BSI, and it is a somewhat rambling
organisation (several locations in London, Milton Keynes etc.)  Try
chasing up via one of the London locations.

WARNING:  do NOT rely on the second edition of K&R.  They 'jumped the
gun' and predicted the future wrong; I believe that they are working on
a corrected second edition.  I would also suggest working from the real
standard, unless K&R second edition is considerably more thorough than
the first edition.

Nick Maclaren
University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory
nmm@uk.ac.cam.cl

dmr@alice.UUCP (04/02/89)

Nick Maclaren warned,
 do NOT rely on the second edition of K&R.  They 'jumped the
 gun' and predicted the future wrong; I believe that they are working on
 a corrected second edition.

Actually, we predicted the future right.  X3J11 made only the teensiest
of language changes in the last 18 months.  Noalias went in, but it
went out again.

A second printing of K&R 2 is in the works, but the changes are
small enough that I will post a list of the differences when the
time comes.

	Dennis Ritchie