[comp.std.c] Draft releases

aladdin@lilink.UUCP (Eugene Choi) (06/02/89)

	Excuse this piker question, but I assume at some point, the
X3J11 releases its C standards draft onto this net.  Does someone
actually post the whole thing in this conference, or is there some
private list one subscribes to, or does one wait until its available
for FTP somewhere...?

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (06/03/89)

In article <705@lilink.UUCP> aladdin@lilink.UUCP (Eugene Choi) writes:
>... I assume at some point, the X3J11 releases its C standards draft
>onto this net.

I don't know why you assume that.  I think it is highly unlikely.

stefan@mikros.systemware.de (Stefan Stapelberg) (06/06/89)

In article <10355@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <705@lilink.UUCP> aladdin@lilink.UUCP (Eugene Choi) writes:
>>... I assume at some point, the X3J11 releases its C standards draft
>>onto this net.
>I don't know why you assume that.  I think it is highly unlikely.

We are also interested in the newest version of the draft standard.
If it isn't available from the net, where can we get it instead?

Best regards, Stefan

gjditchfield@watmsg.waterloo.edu (Glen Ditchfield) (06/06/89)

In article <705@lilink.UUCP> aladdin@lilink.UUCP (Eugene Choi) writes:
>... I assume at some point, the X3J11 releases its C standards draft
>onto this net.

In article <10355@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>I don't know why you assume that.  I think it is highly unlikely.

Well, why not?  Is it "too big to post"?  Does the draft only exist in
non-machine readable form?  Or is it a secret? :-)

I wonder if the Gnu people would like to include the standard in the GCC
distribution ...

In article <26954@watmath.waterloo.edu> gjditchfield@watmsg.waterloo.edu (Glen Ditchfield) writes:
>In article <705@lilink.UUCP> aladdin@lilink.UUCP (Eugene Choi) writes:
>>... I assume at some point, the X3J11 releases its C standards draft
>>onto this net.
>In article <10355@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>I don't know why you assume that.  I think it is highly unlikely.
>Well, why not?  Is it "too big to post"?  Does the draft only exist in
>non-machine readable form?  Or is it a secret? :-)

Because the publisher, who makes money by selling it, has the
exclusive distribution rights.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

diamond@diamond.csl.sony.junet (Norman Diamond) (06/07/89)

In article <21787@news.Think.COM> barmar@kulla.think.com.UUCP (Barry Margolin) writes:

<about why the standard won't be posted on-line>

>Because the publisher, who makes money by selling it, has the
>exclusive distribution rights.

My impression is that this was the purpose of copyrights and publishers.
But what do we do when the publisher refuses to sell copies?  It's hard
to see how the publisher makes money by not selling it.  It's hard to
see how they can claim lost profits when copies are given to recipients,
when the publisher refused to sell to those recipients in the first
place.  (Anyone know what copyright law says in such a case?)

Norman Diamond, Sony Computer Science Lab (diamond%csl.sony.co.jp@relay.cs.net)
  The above opinions are my own.  However, if you're reading this at Waterloo
  or Stanford, then their administrators must have approved of these opinions.

rob@raksha.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rob Carriere) (06/08/89)

In article <10335@socslgw.csl.sony.JUNET> diamond@csl.sony.junet
(Norman Diamond) writes:
><about why the standard won't be posted on-line>
>My impression is that this was the purpose of copyrights and publishers.
>But what do we do when the publisher refuses to sell copies?  It's hard
>to see how the publisher makes money by not selling it.  It's hard to
>see how they can claim lost profits when copies are given to recipients,
>when the publisher refused to sell to those recipients in the first
>place.  (Anyone know what copyright law says in such a case?)

Yep.  After a while, they lose all rights to the material.  So, all
you have to do is wait for those seven(7) years to pass...  :-) :-)

SR

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (06/08/89)

In article <10335@socslgw.csl.sony.JUNET> diamond@csl.sony.junet (Norman Diamond) writes:
>But what do we do when the publisher refuses to sell copies?

I don't know what you're talking about.  Drafts of the proposed C Standard
have been offered for sale (and still are).  There is no ANSI C Standard
yet, so it obviously cannot have been offered for sale yet; it will be.

>(Anyone know what copyright law says in such a case?)

If the material is properly marked when first published (NOT when first
printer for internal use, as many X3.159 drafts have been), it is illegal
to rip it off even if you can't find any way to buy it.  The publisher is
NOT obligated to sell you a copyright work.