[comp.std.c] ANSI <--> K&R conversion utilities

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (06/06/89)

Instead of worrying about ANSI-C to old-C translaters, why not just
get ANSI-C compilers?

There are things (i.e. passing float parameters) that are impossible
in old-C.

In any case, the best-selling C compilers already have large hunks
of ANSI-C in them.

diamond@diamond.csl.sony.junet (Norman Diamond) (06/08/89)

In article <229900005@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Instead of worrying about ANSI-C to old-C translaters, why not just
>get ANSI-C compilers?

Why not avoid the whole mess and just get Ada compilers?  :-I (irony)

>There are things (i.e. passing float parameters) that are impossible
>in old-C.

It was possible in old-C by wrapping it in a struct.  Just like arrays.

>In any case, the best-selling C compilers already have large hunks
>of ANSI-C in them.

Yes, but it doesn't much help people who have to use unpopular machines
which use poorly-selling C compilers.  I'm not in that boat, but on
their behalf, I urge you to use some sense.

--
Norman Diamond, Sony Computer Science Lab (diamond%csl.sony.co.jp@relay.cs.net)
 The above opinions are my own.  However, if you see this at Waterloo, Stanford,