[comp.std.c] Who's got the pANS ?

zz1jm@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU (Jon McCarty) (08/26/89)

Hello.  I really enjoy reading this group, but I don't have a
concrete reference for ANSI C.  Is there a copy of the draft
availiable via FTP?  The local engineering library has all the ANSI
standards here, but no drafts.  Or is there a good reference book
somewhere?  How about K&R vol 2?  I'd rather have something along
the lines of the "C Reference Manual," and I suppose I'd rather have
it for free (crummy students are so cheap).

----Jon
----Internet: zz1jm@sdcc10.ucsd.edu
----one of these days I've got to get myself a real handle

P.S.  I tried uunet.uu.net but I guess C is too old to be there?

In article <143@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU> zz1jm@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU (Jon McCarty) writes:
>Hello.  I really enjoy reading this group, but I don't have a
>concrete reference for ANSI C.  Is there a copy of the draft
>availiable via FTP? ...

No.  ANSI standards and drafts are not available in machine-readable form.
(This is partly to prevent altered versions being propagated to the
unsuspecting -- which has indeed been a problem with some such documents
in the past -- and also because ANSI supports itself partly by selling
paper copies.)

>...Or is there a good reference book
>somewhere?  How about K&R vol 2? ...

K&R 2nd edition is not perfect but it is very close to the final standard.

>... I'd rather have something along
>the lines of the "C Reference Manual," ...

There is a second edition of H&S, although it's a bit older than K&R2.
I suspect there will be a third when the pANS finally becomes official.
--
V7 /bin/mail source: 554 lines.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989 X.400 specs: 2200+ pages. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu