[comp.std.c] Floating preprocessing numbers

diamond@csl.sony.co.jp (Norman Diamond) (10/20/89)

In section 3.1.8, a preprocessing number does not acquire a type or a
value until conversion in translation phase 7.  I think there is an
omission.  A value, and surely a type, must be acquired when an #if
directive is examined during preprocessing.

So the question is, why can't a preprocessing number look like this?
    123.45e67
In any other context, e.g. an actual floating constant token in phase 7
which did not derive from a preprocessing number, this is acceptable.
The "e" does not have to be followed by a sign.  Why, for #if, must the
"e" be followed by a sign?  (And are there any other situations with
the same requirement?)

--
Norman Diamond, Sony Corp. (diamond%ws.sony.junet@uunet.uu.net seems to work)
  Should the preceding opinions be caught or     |  James Bond asked his

I just wrote:

>In section 3.1.8, a preprocessing number does not acquire a type or a
>value until conversion in translation phase 7.  I think there is an
>omission.  A value, and surely a type, must be acquired when an #if
>directive is examined during preprocessing.

>So the question is, why can't a preprocessing number look like this?
>    123.45e67
>In any other context, e.g. an actual floating constant token in phase 7
>which did not derive from a preprocessing number, this is acceptable.
>The "e" does not have to be followed by a sign.  Why, for #if, must the
>"e" be followed by a sign?  (And are there any other situations with
>the same requirement?)

and then noticed that "pp-number nondigit" allows this in an obscure,
reader-unfriendly manner.

Just to get its kicks in, "rn" says:
    End of article 1733 (of 1733)--what next? [npq] C
    You can't cancel someone else's article
and what about my own article, "rn"?  At least now my foot is in your
mouth instead of my own.