[comp.std.c] commom malloc/free practice ...

djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) (10/25/89)

From article <11380@smoke.BRL.MIL>, by gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn):
> In article <420@cpsolv.UUCP> rhg@cpsolv.uucp (Richard H. Gumpertz) writes:
>>Please tell me what section I have overlooked or stop saying
>>the standard already has things that I cannot find.
>
> If you've been following this thread, you should have already seen
> the answers to your questions.
>
> I *know* the Standard has things you cannot find.

Come on, Doug. I can't find it either. Just cite the section number
of the place where it says that a cast from void* to OBJ* to void*
must yield pointers that compare equal. The section number will be what? --
six or seven characters, maybe?  It won't hurt your fingers.

My humble opinion:

1. The sections concerning pointers are poorly written.
It will not surprise me at all if a literal reading of them leaves some
expected behavior unspecified.

2. It doesn't matter.