[net.micro] TRS-80 Model 16

mknox@Utexas-11@sri-unix (07/03/82)

Has anyone managed to get any TECHNICAL information on the new Model 16
(with the MC68000 in addition to the Z80).  Radio Shack, both locally and
Fort Worth, is no real help.  The only new user info that comes with it
doesn't even seem to cover how to get back and forth between processors
except for a TRSDOS program which loads the MC68000.

Fort Worth say they WILL have a technical manual (the one they finally
got out on the Model II was not too bad), but it may be a year away.
I got a service tech. at a local store to admit that it had come with
a couple of sheets of hand drawn info, mostly on how to replace a board
when and if they ever get spares.  Apparently the service people dont
even have a schematic.  I am beginning to believe that RS didn't do the
board themselves, and that it was farmed out.  I wonder to whom?

				tnx
MKNOX at UTEXAS-11
-------

STERNLIGHT@Usc-Ecl@sri-unix (07/03/82)

I got my Model 16 this week.  I am running it with Pickles and Trout
CP/M, floppy disk version, same as I used on my Model II.
So far, with a few exceptions (below), all my Mod II CP/M software
works fine.  The only minor annoyance is the Drive not ready
message whenever a Tandon drive times out and is then accessed.
However, the drive then starts up automatically and the
machine continues, without any need to hit return.

Of course, I cannot access the second side of each drive yet.
I spoke to Pickles and Trout (well, Pickles), and they have
their 16 as well.  They will support it soon.  The support
will correct the time-out message and will handle both sides
of the Tandon drives.  That will be Z80-based.  68000 support
has to wait for Digital Research to come up with CP/M for
the 68000.  Meanwhile keep your eye out for anything
else for the 68000.

The exceptions.  Two programs that use the memory mapping
for video display on the Mod II need modifications.
They are Wordstar and Vedit.  The way to get Wordstar running
is to reinstall it and insert the Pickles and Trout screen
codes by hand, as indicated in the Wordstar manual.  Do not
use the Mod II with P&T option in the Wordstar install program.
Then it works fine.  As for Vedit, it comes with two files for
installation on the Mod II; one is for P&T and the second is
for everyone else's CP/M.  If you install it on the Mod 16
using the second (filename ends in 'g') not the first
(filename ends in 'p') it also works fine on the Mod 16.

Let me know what you discover as you go along.
--david--
-------

bstempleton (07/04/82)

CP/M for the 68000???
GOD FORBID.  I hope you are not serious?  There should be laws to stop this
kind of obscenity.

Stephen@sri-unix (07/07/82)

	"Date: 4 Jul 82 12:34:03-PDT (Sun)
	To: info-micro at Mit-Ai
	From: decvax!utzoo!watmath!bstempleton at Ucb-C70
	Subject: Re: TRS-80 Model 16
	Via:  news.usenet; 4 Jul 82 23:43-PDT
	Via:  Mit-Ai; 5 Jul 82 2:50-EDT
	Via:  Brl; 5 Jul 82 2:57-EDT

	CP/M for the 68000???
	GOD FORBID.  I hope you are not serious?  There should be laws to
	stop this kind of obscenity."

RIGHT!  Sure wouldn't want folks using any of that crufty, cheap, available,
8-bit software on a REAL computer.  CROCK.9!

Ben@sri-unix (07/07/82)

ll
Whenever there are laws to stop one from taking the kids to school in
the Mercedes.  By the way, I hear Digital Research is working on a version
of CPM for the National 16032.....

STERNLIGHT@Usc-Ecl@sri-unix (07/14/82)

I just had an installation and service call on my new TRS-80 Mod 16.
It turns out that it runs memory-mapped video programs like
wordstar, vedit, etc just fine as configured for Pickles and
Trout CP/M for the Model II.  The problem was a defective Z-80
board in the Model 16, and rumor has it that a few of the early
production Model 16's all had the same defect, allegedly caused
by a couple of bad jumpers.  The problem only shows up when you
try to access the screen via Pickles and Trout calls.

I spoke to Greg Pickles today and he tells me that they are ready
to release their cp/m for the Mod 16 in Mod II mode, now.  It
will support both sides of the Tandon drive(s).  They are only
waiting for the documentation to be xeroxed.

BTW-There is an outfit in Oregon advertising a converter program
to get TRSDOS Model II Visicalc running under P&T cp/m and also TRSDOS
basic (a little different than Microsoft cp/m MBASIC) running under
P&T cp/m.  They both work fine; I bought them.  They also have a backup
and a disk format utility that copy Pickles and Trout cp/m disks,
including all system tracks from any disk to a blank one.  That saves
a lot of time when using a modified cp/m, as, for example ZCPR modified
CCP.  The backup is also very fast (45 sec for a full copy) since
it goes straight to the disk ports, avoiding cp/m.

--david--
-------