[comp.std.c] Elevators

diamond@csl.sony.co.jp (Norman Diamond) (10/30/89)

In article <1159.25475CBB@urchin.fidonet.org> Bob.Stout@p6.f506.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Bob Stout) writes:

>For example, an elevator controller (a typical
>job for me) may be an exercise in AI programming, but if you try to tell a
>controller manufacturer what sort of hardware you'll require to write it in
>LISP or Smalltalk, you'll find out in a hurry what competitive pricing means
>as they show you the door!

But it also can't be programmed in C!!!!  ANSI says that the execution
character set must include a carriage return, audible alarm (well --
I guess an elevator has that), vertical tab (does an elevator have
that?), horizontal tab, and a bunch of ASCII-like characters.  And
you gotta have fseek().  Anyone want to design a C standard for a
stand-alone environment, which ANSI forgot to do?

--
Norman Diamond, Sony Corp. (diamond%ws.sony.junet@uunet.uu.net seems to work)
  Should the preceding opinions be caught or     |  James Bond asked his