[comp.std.c] ANSI C-standard anywhere on the net? Please answer soon.

tuomas@kannel.lut.fi (Tuomas Lukka) (11/10/89)

Look at the header... It's got it all...

 tuomas@kannel.lut.fi  Tuomas Lukka

It's probably time for a quick repeat of this:  most standards are not
available in machine-readable form.  In particular, neither IEEE nor
ANSI standards are.  This is partly to protect the income obtained by
selling paper copies (which goes to support further standards work),
and partly to make it more likely that standards will be distributed
in their original, unaltered form.  People hold varying opinions on
the relative priorities of the two issues, but both are real concerns.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

ok@cs.mu.oz.au (Richard O'Keefe) (11/11/89)

In article <1989Nov10.180447.2353@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> neither IEEE nor ANSI standards ar [available in machine-readable form].
> [This is] partly to make it more likely that standards will be distributed
> in their original, unaltered form.

I note that the Ada standard is accessible in machine-readable form (and
has been for years).  This does not seem to have resulted in the production
of altered versions of the LRM.  Whether it resulted in any loss of sales
I don't know; I ftped over from time to time to look at the standard while
it was under revision and then bought a paper copy when it came out.

In article <2680@munnari.oz.au> ok@cs.mu.oz.au (Richard O'Keefe) writes:
>> neither IEEE nor ANSI standards ar [available in machine-readable form].
>> [This is] partly to make it more likely that standards will be distributed
>> in their original, unaltered form.
>
>I note that the Ada standard is accessible in machine-readable form (and
>has been for years).  This does not seem to have resulted in the production
>of altered versions of the LRM...

Perhaps because nobody cared about Ada? :-)  There *were* such problems
with some experimental distributions of early POSIX drafts, I believe.