[comp.std.c] Qualified array or function types

diamond@csl.sony.co.jp (Norman Diamond) (11/17/89)

Section 3.5.3, page 65 lines 23 to 25, cite array types or function
types that include type qualifiers.  Footnote 65 says that these can
only occur through the use of typedefs.  Footnote 65 seems to be false.
I cannot find any Constraint or Semantic "shall" (or even "can") that
prevents
  const a[3];

--
Norman Diamond, Sony Corp. (diamond%ws.sony.junet@uunet.uu.net seems to work)
  Should the preceding opinions be caught or     |  James Bond asked his

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (11/18/89)

In article <11144@riks.csl.sony.co.jp> diamond@ws.sony.junet (Norman Diamond) writes:
>Section 3.5.3, page 65 lines 23 to 25, cite array types or function
>types that include type qualifiers.  Footnote 65 says that these can
>only occur through the use of typedefs.  Footnote 65 seems to be false.
>I cannot find any Constraint or Semantic "shall" (or even "can") that
>prevents
>  const a[3];

That's not an example of what Footnote 65 is referring to;
that's an ordinary application of the type qualifier "const"
to the member type (int), not to the array type, and the
qualifier is valid there.  However, the attempted declaration
	int a const [3];
is disallowed by the grammar, and that is what Footnote 65
is discussing -- since the grammar disallows this, how COULD
one have the specification of an array (similarly, function)
type (as opposed to some subtype) include any type qualifiers?
Footnote 65 answers that question.