[comp.std.c] Vendor representatives on committee

jeffrey@algor2.algorists.com (Jeffrey Kegler) (11/20/89)

A number of postings has suggested that there is something unethical
or immoral about advocating the particular interests of a specific
vendor on the ANSI C committee, as opposed to the general public
interest.

Actually, if no one on X3J11 had put forward the views of the major
vendors, X3J11 could not have performed its consensus building
function.  And if you are not going to build consensus, why bother
having a committee?  If no one had advocated the selfish narrow views
of special interests, the work of X3J11 could not have been done.
This is why many of the representatives were invited and why they were
sent.

And of course, the special interests are paying for the salary of
their representives, and their expenses.  If after that, their point
of view went unspoken, wouldn't that be a real betrayal?

In general, a lot of people have problems with the ethics of advocacy
of selfish interests, as when a lawyer defends a despicable client.
And entire countries have reorganized themselves so that there is
nothing but the public interest (China, the Soviet Union, etc.) with
the idea that this would create a better world.  It may seem a paradox
that one-sided advocacy of special interests (even those contrary to
more general interests) promotes the general interest, but that is the
way it works.

My support of the right of special interests to representation, and
defense of the ethicality of such representation, does not mean I have
to like the point of view being advocated, especially when the
advocacy is successful.  I caught a fair number of flames by
suggesting that special interests were behind a dpANS feature I don't
like.  One poster accused me of libeling the representatives when I
suggested that they has actually represented the people they were
requested and paid to represent.  An E-mailer was even more pointed.

The misunderstanding on this issue seems to be almost universal.
Clearing it up will help us understand a lot more than how language
standards are produced.
--

Jeffrey Kegler, Independent UNIX Consultant, Algorists, Inc.
jeffrey@algor2.ALGORISTS.COM or uunet!algor2!jeffrey

In article <1989Nov20.124013.28617@algor2.algorists.com> jeffrey@algor2.ALGORISTS.COM (Jeffrey Kegler) writes:
| A number of postings has suggested that there is something unethical
| or immoral about advocating the particular interests of a specific
| vendor on the ANSI C committee, as opposed to the general public
| interest.

  I don't think that any vendor was able to push *individual* special
interests, at least to the detriment of the standard, because all the
other vendors would object. I do think there was some bias toward
eliminating features which would be hard to implement, and some were
(almost) added because they would aid optimization.

  Obviously if the user wrote a standard they might generate another
Ada, big and expensive to implement. They might not address areas which
have to be defined for portability. Therefore I don't feel that a
committee of all users would be productive.

  When I was on the committee (first two years) I was often the only
person representing an organization which did not sell computers or a C
compiler. I think the need for user representation was minimal. There
were a few features dropped because they were hard to implement, so be
it. Some things were slightly changed in definition to make
implementation easier, and that's a good thing. I confess, I've written
a few compilers, and I have a LOT of sympathy with the vendors.

  Honestly there are only a few places in which I feel that the
committee dropped the ball, and my opinion is that these are places in
which the wording is confusing, inexplicit, or obscure.

  I find only one feature in the standard which is well documented and
which I think is inappropriate. I'm not going to discuss it in this
thread, it has been beaten to death before without changing the mind of
the committee. it is clearly a case of doing something for ease of
implementation which is not existing practice, breaks existing programs
and adds no useful functionality to the language. I don't like it, but
I wouldn't want the standard to fail because the vendors took the easy
way out on one issue.

  I think criticism of the committee because of vendor interest is very
hard to justify by any facts, and that anyone who didn't care enough to
participate either by being there or sending in comments should not
complain about the process at this point.
that the world is flat!" - anon

khb%chiba@Sun.COM (Keith Bierman - SPD Advanced Languages) (11/21/89)

In article <1989Nov20.124013.28617@algor2.algorists.com> jeffrey@algor2.ALGORISTS.COM (Jeffrey Kegler) writes:

>Actually, if no one on X3J11 had put forward the views of the major
>vendors, X3J11 could not have performed its consensus building
>function.  And if you are not going to build consensus, why bother
>having a committee?  If no one had advocated the selfish narrow views
>of special interests, the work of X3J11 could not have been done.
>This is why many of the representatives were invited and why they were
>sent.
>
>And of course, the special interests are paying for the salary of
>their representives, and their expenses.  If after that, their point
>of view went unspoken, wouldn't that be a real betrayal?

I'm part of X3J3, which operates under somewhat different rules than
J11. In J3 there is a clear legal distinction between being an individual or
being the formal rep of a company. the latter costs more, but allows
greater lattitude in who may attend to represent the company.

I am sure that several of the vendors on J11 are also huge users of C
(all unixish vendors, for example), so there is not necessarily
clearly diverging interests.

Keith H. Bierman    |*My thoughts are my own. !! kbierman@sun.com
It's Not My Fault   |	MTS --Only my work belongs to Sun*
I Voted for Bill &  | Advanced Languages/Floating Point Group
Opus                | "When the going gets Weird .. the Weird turn PRO"

"There is NO defense against the attack of the KILLER MICROS!"
			Eugene Brooks

" Maynard) (11/21/89)

I'm sure this was answered here before, but it's slipped my mind:
How are committee members chosen?

No, I'm not interested myself; I doubt the committee needs a naive-user
perspective...:-)

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (11/22/89)

In article <1662@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
-I do think there was some bias toward
-eliminating features which would be hard to implement, and some were
-(almost) added because they would aid optimization.

But note, many users (as well as vendors) want improved "optimization".
There are also often user benefits to other issues one might think
"vendor-inspired".

bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) (11/23/89)

In article <1989Nov20.124013.28617@algor2.algorists.com> jeffrey@algor2.ALGORISTS.COM (Jeffrey Kegler) writes:
| A number of postings has suggested that there is something unethical
| or immoral about advocating the particular interests of a specific
| vendor on the ANSI C committee, as opposed to the general public
| interest.

I've also seen a lot of opinion that pushes the idea that compiler
implementation issues are irrelevent, the only thing that counts is
programmer issues. To present a counter argument:

If implementing a language is excessively complex:
1. Fewer vendors will get into the business.
2. There will be long delays before compilers get implemented.
3. Fewer implementations directly translates into lower quality implementations,
   because of less competition.
4. Fewer implementations mean higher compiler prices.
5. Compile times will be slow.

The programmer's interests are not well served by that scenario. I, for
one, would prefer a high-quality implementation of a simple language than
a poor-quality version of a complex one.

For an example of the above 5 points, see Ada.

P.S. I'm a compiler vendor (Zortech).

In article <1989Nov21.150638.26925@splut.conmicro.com> jay@splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:
>I'm sure this was answered here before, but it's slipped my mind:
>How are committee members chosen?

Basically, anyone who has the time to read the interminable flow of paper
and the resources to attend meetings from time to time can be a member of
ANSI standards committees.  As I recall there is a modest fee, but it's
less than the cost of buying copies of a couple of the drafts from Global.
The ANSI standardization process is specifically required to be open to
all interested parties; that's how standards organizations avoid trouble
with the anti-trust people.

Don't underestimate how mind-numbing it can be to read the same dumb ideas
for the tenth time (people who've never been involved in standards efforts
have no idea of just how many cranks come out of the woodwork with 50-page
proposals), or pore over the twenty-seventh draft of something you were
sick of by the fifth draft.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu