[comp.std.c] Application oriented C++ language extensions

paul@mtnmath.UUCP (Paul Budnik) (11/20/89)

The operator overloading and object oriented features of C++ form an
excellent framework for providing high level application oriented
language extensions via class libraries. Such extensions will be of
greatest value if they can play together.

For example I am developing a C++ based tool for digital signal
processing and will want to add image processing and matrix
operations. The code for the DSP operations is proprietary.
However, the language notation ideally will conform to (or become)
a public domain industry standard.

Is there any group or organization coordinating such C++ application
oriented class libraries or interest in starting such
a group? A formal standards process would be premature, but having
some focus for collecting information and airing issues would be
valuable.

Paul Budnik

mhorne@ka7axd.WV.TEK.COM (Michael T. Horne) (11/21/89)

(directed primarily at comp.dsp, but others in comp.lang.c++ may wish to
comment)

In a recent article by Paul Budnik:

> The operator overloading and object oriented features of C++ form an
> excellent framework for providing high level application oriented
> language extensions via class libraries. Such extensions will be of
> greatest value if they can play together.
>
> For example I am developing a C++ based tool for digital signal
> processing and will want to add image processing and matrix
> operations. The code for the DSP operations is proprietary.
> However, the language notation ideally will conform to (or become)
> a public domain industry standard.

For DSP applications, just a few simple extensions can make an incredible
difference in algorithm prototyping time.  I've already implemented my own
set of extensions (e.g. shift registers, fixed-point data types with
corresponding math operations, etc.) and have used them extensively for
(relatively) rapid prototyping of algorithms that eventually are implemented
in hardware.  A standardized extension (formal or informal) would be very
useful and would greatly reduce duplicate work.

> A formal standards process would be premature, but having some focus for
> collecting information and airing issues would be  valuable.

Agreed.  An informal discussion group (for DSP applications, if no global
coordinating group exists) may be in order.  Assuming this hasn't already
started in one form or another, is there sufficient interest in an ad hoc
group on C++ extensions for DSP use?

Mike
mhorne@ka7axd.wv.tek.com
...!tektronix!mhorne%ka7axd.wv.tek.com

apa@warwick.UUCP (Andrew Patterson) (11/21/89)

In article <1012@mtnmath.UUCP> paul@mtnmath.UUCP (Paul Budnik) writes:
>For example I am developing a C++ based tool for digital signal
>processing and will want to add image processing and matrix
>operations. The code for the DSP operations is proprietary.
>However, the language notation ideally will conform to (or become)
>a public domain industry standard.
>
>Paul Budnik (Paraphrased)

        Wow - I'm developing a C++ based tool for DSP as my final year project
here at University of Warwick. I'm hoping to produce a complete CAD system
under Sunview. Unfortunately I can't e-mail to the US, so I'm having to write
to you this way... Basically - do you want to share some ideas concerning
desirable facilities such a system should have and whether it's worth
bothering to try and use Sunview from C++, or should I stick to C to write the
front end? Oh - any other contributions welcomed, of course.
                                Pat
                                -X-

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@ Andrew Patterson - CS Undergrad and general layabout...                    @
@ Arpa:  apa@cs.warwick.ac.uk   Post: c/o CS Dept. Univ. of Warwick, England @
@----------------------------------------------------------------------------@
@            "They keep calling me!"    -     jOY dIVISION (RIP)             @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

rex@aussie.UUCP (Rex Jaeschke) (11/24/89)

> For example I am developing a C++ based tool for digital signal
> processing and will want to add image processing and matrix
> operations. The code for the DSP operations is proprietary.
>
> Is there any group or organization coordinating such C++ application
> oriented class libraries or interest in starting such
> a group?

The Numerical C Extensions Group was formed in May '89 to look at
extensions to ANSI C. One active member of the group is Kevin Leary
from Analog Devices, a DSP shop. They have their own extensions too.
Other NCEG members (such as Cray) also want to add matrix support
directly in the language. As the convener of NCEG I'd like to be kept
informed of your progress and to get some documentation as "prior
art."

Rex

Rex Jaeschke     |  Journal of C Language Translation  | C Users Journal
(703) 860-0091   |        2051 Swans Neck Way          | DEC PROFESSIONAL
uunet!aussie!rex |     Reston, Virginia 22091, USA     | Programmers Journal
Convener of the Numerical C Extensions Group (NCEG)