[comp.std.c] What's the status of the standard?

drane@sequent.UUCP (Dorsey Drane) (01/06/90)

Does anyone know the status of the standard?
I understood it was to be approved in December, 1989,
and that there was a slight chance that a challange could delay that.
I haven't heard a thing beyond that, one way or another.
Anybody?

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (01/07/90)

In article <27230@sequent.UUCP> drane@sequent.UUCP (Dorsey Drane) writes:
>Does anyone know the status of the standard?
>I understood it was to be approved in December, 1989,
>and that there was a slight chance that a challange could delay that.

As Larry Jones just reported, ANSI BSR approved the C Standard in mid-
December 1989.  The X3 appeal was voluntarily withdrawn by the appellant,
apparently after he and X3 were unable to agree on a third mutually
satisfactory arbiter.  If an appeal is re-filed with ANSI, it is not
expected to delay publication of the approved Standard, but rather
the appeal would be processed after publication.  (No, I don't know
when publication will occur.  Apparently Global Engineering Documents,
Inc., 2805 McGaw Av., Irvine, CA 92714, (800)854-7179 or (714)261-1455,
Telex 62734450 will distribute the final ANSI standard.)  The published
ANSI standard should be technically identical to the December 1988 X3J11
draft, differing only in boilerplate and packaging.