[net.micro] Consumer Reports wants Users

Bob@sri-unix (07/15/82)

I found this notice in the July 82 issue of Consumer Reports:

                        "A CALL TO COMPUTER OWNERS

If you own a personal computer, we'd like you to tell us about your
experiences in buying, learning to operate, and running it.  We are
interested in the class of computers that includes Apple, Commodore, IBM
Personal Computer, Osborne, Radio Shack, and others of similar capability.
If you wish to help us by filling out a questionnaire, please send your
name, address, and the brand and model of your computer to:  Consumer
Reports, Box RME, 256 Washington St., Mount Vernon, N.Y. 10550."

It doesn't limit the responses to only CU subscribers, so lets go to it!  I
bet they would be interested in seeing how we feel about lumping the
Commodore and IBM PC as "similar capability"!  Would a PDP 11/70 be similar
to a IBM 370?  A ZX80 to a Godabout?

Bob Bloom (bbloom at brl)

P.S. FJW: You're more familiar with the other computer-specific mailing
lists than I.  Why don't you forward a copy to info-apple, info-atari, etc.
I'm sure they would like to get their licks in too.

bch (07/16/82)

As a long-time member of Consumers Union I carefully considered whether
I should send in for a questionnaire or not.  I decided not.

The purpose (and most important function) of Consumer Reports is the
evaluation of products as consumer items.  As such, expert testimony
(the kind I assume most people on the net would give) is probably
misleading.  What they are interested in is the useability, not the
capability, of machines.  IF IBM 3081s were sold for the price of
Apples, for example, the 3081 would be downrated for its complexity
and quality of documentation in the view of CU.

As I would not buy a car on the basis of a compendium of answers
from expert mechanics or race-drivers (remember they do their own
repairs) or audio equipment on the basis of the opinions of recording
studio engineers, If I were a novice interested in personal computing
I would certainly not buy a machine based on the opinions of high-end
users -- myself included.  What I would want to know is whether or
not I could use it as a beginner and whether or not it came doing the
things I wanted it to do.

Given the state of the art in ergonometric design of most personal
computers I doubt that the testimony of many readers here would be
useful, and might be disastrously misleading to a novice.  How many
here would feel positive about the TRS-80?  Yet Tandy has done as
good a job as any in introducing consumers to personal computers in
a positive way.

				Byron Howes
				University of North Carolina

Keith@sri-unix (07/20/82)

Please reply to address below, not me.  I'm forwarding because of
a mailer problem.

----- Forwarded message # 1:

Date: 20 Jul 1982 0040-PDT
From: Scott M. Hinnrichs <SMH at SRI-KL>
Subject: Re: Consumer Reports wants Users
To: Info-Micro-Request at BRL
Via:  Sri-Kl; 20 Jul 82 3:41-EDT

	I would beg to differ with you Byron, as to the value of
testimony from the professional community.  A prospective new user has
no past experience as to what has been and is now available.  The
comments from one who has past experience can be quite valuable and
only misleading if the person giving the advice does not take into
consideration 'where the user is coming from'.

	To say that the very people who understand the machines best
cannot give the best advice only suggests that they cannot communicate
their information, not that they are not the best qualified to
comment.

	What is needed is for us to come down off our high horse and
provide the information, for which we are qualified to give, in a
manner which is understandable.

	To be a wizard at what we do contributes nothing to anyone,
including ourselves, if we are not able to communicate it to those new
initiates seeking help.

	The very things that bug us will bug the new user as well.
While it is true that some things will not be immediately bothersome
to the new user, he will eventually become aware of, and irritated by,
the things we see immediately upon reviewing a product.

	We can continue to allow the knowledge we have remain locked
up inside us and grin at the floundering of the new 'lusers', firing
off incomprehensible drivel made to impress, or we can take the time
to think about their plight and give reasonable help.

	This responsibility rests with all of us each time someone
trusts us with a question in our field.

SMH
-------

----- End of forwarded messages