From papaya.bbn.com!bbn.com!gateway!mars.mitre.ORG!wood Wed Jan  9 09:48:21 EST 1991
Article 1447 of bbn.internet.ietf:
>From: wood@mars.mitre.ORG (Dave Wood)
Newsgroups: bbn.internet.ietf
Subject: Re: High cost of OSIing
Date: 7 Jan 91 17:18:23 GMT
Sender: news@bbn.com

The following article appears in the December 1990 issue of ANSI
Reporter, the monthly newsletter published by ANSI.

Electronic Delivery Options Explored by ANSI, Developers

The Institute and ANSI-accredited standards developers are making
progress on the electronic delivery of standards and a number of
technical documents.  During a recent meeting, ANSI staff and
standards developers exchanged information on the electronic delivery
processes currently being pursued and on the most effective way to
provide services in this area.

Attendees at the meeting, hosted by ASTM [American Society for Testing
and Materials] and held at the standards developer's headquarters in
Philadelphia, agreed that common electronic delivery approaches would
be advantageous and several standards developers indicated that they
have signed individual contracts with vendors with expertise in
electronic delivery.  The Institute is evaluating similar
opportunities, according to ANSI Director of Consumer Services Jules
Richardson, who atended the meeting.

"Everyone came prepared to discuss the issues and we were able to form
a better picture of what standards developers are doing in the area of
electronic delivery," Richardson said.  "The information exchanged was
extremely useful, particularly when looking toward establishing
electronic delivery systems.  It is obvious that there is a strong
need for special expertise in this area.

At the meeting, James Teal, Manager of Engineering Standards with
E.I.du Pont de Nemours & Co., made a presentation on the ANSI Board
Committee on Data Services report entitled "A Standard Approach for
Electronic Access to Standards and Technical Documents."  The report
looks at the hazards created when standards developers create
dissimilar approaches in electronic delivery and also examined
capabilities that are available in the '90s and the status and
direction of technology for electronic publishing, distribution and
use of information.

"It was an excellent meeting mainly because the standards developing
organizations had a chance to get together to share ideas and discuss
what is being done in this area," said Robert Meltzer, Vice President
of Publications and Marketing with ASTM.  "I am confident these
cooperative meetings between the various organizations will continue
and we look forward to getting together again in the near future."

"ASTM did an excellent job in organizing the meeting and seeing to it
that a wide array of standards developers participated," Richardson
added.  "We also appreciated the participation of the standards
developers who were instrumental in making the meeting possible."

--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.