[comp.std.c] pattern/wild card matching

benyukhi@motcid.UUCP (Ed Benyukhis) (02/12/91)

Can anyone on the net e-mail or post the sources or pointers to
where I can find such for the pattern/wild card matching routines
in "C".  I understand that at one point or another there were several
postings regarding pattern/wild card matching.  If anyone can e-mail
or post those with the corresponding source fragments, I would
very much appreciate it.

Thank you,

Ed Benyukhis, Motorola CIG
(708)632-6624

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (02/12/91)

In article <6467@saffron1.UUCP> benyukhi@motcid.UUCP (Ed Benyukhis) writes:
>Can anyone on the net e-mail or post the sources or pointers to
>where I can find such for the pattern/wild card matching routines
>in "C".  [...]

You might look at the Gnu version of grep.  Also, if you're interested in
a good theoretical discussion, check out chapter 3 of _Compilers: Principles,
Techniques and Tools_ by Aho, Sethi & Ullman (aka the Red Dragon Book).

They give both deterministic and non-deterministic methods of wildcard
matching.

--
Dave Schaumann      | DANGER: Access holes may tear easily.  Use of the access
		    | holes for lifting or carrying may result in damage to the
dave@cs.arizona.edu | carton and subsequent injury to the user.

bliss@sp64.csrd.uiuc.edu (Brian Bliss) (02/13/91)

 re_comp() and re_exec() are the regular-expression pattern
 matching routines built into libc. say "man regex" for more info.

bb

gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) (02/14/91)

	I recently purchased the source code diskette for an issue of
_The C Gazette_ which contains, in essence, a "grep" function.  If
anyone is interested, I will post it.

	P.S.: Yes, it is legal for me to do this, as long as I leave
the author's name in the code.

---
John Gordon
Internet: gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu        #include <disclaimer.h>