Date: 19 Jul 1982 0758-EDT
From: Deborah L. Estrin <ESTRIN at MIT-XX>
Subject: vector graphics
To: info-apple at MIT-AI

I have been unable to get this query to info-micro@brl so I thought
I would try here...

A friend wants a micro primarily for text processing and some data
base applications. Can someone tell me why one should NOT  buy a Vector
Graphics for such applications....

Thank you, Deborah
-------

SCHNUR@Usc-Isi@sri-unix (07/25/82)

I strongly disagree with your evaluation . My wife has used a
Vector 2600 since Nov 81 as the word processor in her translating
business.  She is extremely happy with it.  She uses the memorite
word processor supplied with the machine.  She translates at over
100 words a minute (typed text) so the wordstar word processore
gave her problems due to the wrap around problem.  I showed her
your message.  Her comment was that you were talking about a
different machine , are you ? Her main reason for selecting the
vector over other pc7s was the feel of the keyboard.  Her
previous experience had been on a selectric 1. She finds the
Vector 3 keyboard more to her liking.  After 9 months of
translating Russian, Bulgarian, FRench, Italian,Serbian, Polish
and what ever into english on the machine and producing about 12
megabytes of final text on the Nec 7700 she has yet to have a
problem.  The disks (tandon double side 96 tpi have so far worked
flawlessly).  Another point of view, from me.  At NRL in my group
we make extensive use of micros, we have 4 chromemcos., 2 apples,
3 pdp 11/40 and 1 vector 5005.  I have found the vector superior
to all but the pdp's for our simple data analysis problems and
machine control applicaions.  It ad the chromemco's are very much
the same, however the 6 mhz z80 helps us quite a bit in certain
applications.  Again were you talking about the recent Vector
releases or their older mz version?

     joel