[net.followup] Pontiac Trans Am, The Middle Eastern Car of Choice

hijab@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU (Raif Hijab) (08/10/86)

In article <436@argus.UUCP>, ron@argus.UUCP (Ron DeBlock) writes:

> Trans-Ams, HAH!  In the NY Metro area, they give out Mecedes-Benzes!

In an age where racism is supposed to have been conquered (?), when it is
no longer acceptable to ridicule ethnic and religious minorities of all
sorts, the Middle Eastern or Arab image remains the perfect cartoon
character, the one it is kosher to attack, vilify and malign in any
way one pleases.

It sickens me to see this attitude reflected in net postings. As someone
of Arab Middle Eastern origin, I resent the stereotyping. For some it
may seem an amusing joke. I bet they won't think so if the joke is directed
at them.

Aside from the fact that Pontiac TransAms and Mercedes-Benzes are owned
by a whole lot of people who are NOT of Middle Eastern origin, and that
driving shiny black cars with blaring stereos is hardly limited to one
group, I will explain some relevant facts for the benefit of Ron DeBlock
and Geoffrey Kim, if they really want to know:

The United States is an expensive country to visit/live-in/study-in.
It is also on the other side of the earth from the Middle East, and
its people, by and large, do not view Islam and Muslims kindly ( thanks
in large part to the diligent efforts of certain groups who have a stake
in portraying Arabs and Muslims in the worst possible light.) As a result,
many who come here as students are young sons (and daughters) of rich
politicians and merchants from the oil-rich states. One thing that fascinates
them is luxury and sports cars, the flashier the better. Their parents
accomodate their wishes because they can afford it. This is something one
sees in other ethnic/national groups as well. Has anyone studied the habits
of the sons and daughters of rich Latin Americans, rich Chinese, or the
(teenage?) sons and daughters of rich Americans?

This description certainly does not apply to immigrants, who typically
come from a different economic stratum. There is also a very large number
of students from the Middle East who do not own flashy cars. Rather, they
are likely to own no car at all. They are not flashy, and generally try
to blend in. They even tend to forget that they are different from young
Americans, until they turn on the evening news, or hear a callous comment
from an American!

geoff@ism780c.UUCP (Geoff Kimbrough) (08/11/86)

In article <956@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU> hijab@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU (Raif Hijab) writes:
>> In article <136@belfry.UUCP>, geoffk@belfry.UUCP (Geoffrey Kim) writes:
>>      [ various objectionable ethnic slurs ]
>It sickens me to see this attitude reflected in net postings. As someone
>of Arab Middle Eastern origin, I resent the stereotyping. For some it

Right on Raif!  To whom it may concern: My name is Geoffrey Kimbrough, and
I am no relation to this "Geoffrey Kim".  I object strenously to this
stereotyping, especially when the casual net.reader might erroneously
attribute it to me!  I try very hard to be non-racist, non-sexist,
non-ageist (and trustworthy, clean, reverent, brave... 8^) ), and my
terminal would explode if I tried to post anything like the cited message.

	  Geoffrey Kimbrough -- Director of Dangerous Activities
	 INTERACTIVE Systems Corporation,  Santa Monica California
     ihnp4!ima!geoff || sdcrdcf!ism780c!geoff || ucla-cs!ism780!geoff

     If I can be of any help, you're in worse trouble than I thought.