[comp.std.c] Localization

enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) (02/14/91)

This concerns the ANSI C standard.  The localeconv function has some
examples on page 111.  I'm concerned with the specific entry on line 4
of that page.  It says something about Norway.  I live in Norway.

According to this example, Norwegians write "kr1234,56" when they mean
1,234.56 units of local currency.  According to this example, they
also write "kr1234,56-" when they mean -1,234.56 units of local
currency.

I wonder how this managed to get into a standard in the year 1989.
After spending a few days asking friends, and them their fathers, I my
friends in the Norwegian Standards Association, the uniform reply is
"that went out of recommended use more than 20 years ago".  In 1968 NS
4133 (Norwegian Standard for Letters and other Documents, Writing and
Layout), the international currency code "NOK" is recommended for all
international trade and communication, and is preferred for domestic
use, as well.  "kr" was still allowed, but deprecated, as one would
say.  There is a space after the "kr", and has been since the birth of
the predecessor of NS 4133, NS 1119.  Furthermore, negative amounts
were specified with trailing minus in NS 1119.  NS 4133 and its source
NS 4057 changes this to parenthesized form or having the minus sign
precede the quantity.  NS 1119 went out of circulation in 1968.  I
mean, NINETEEN SIXTY-EIGHT.

I'm not impressed.  One is led to believe that whatever else they say
on localization is also grossly out of date, and subsequently that the
whole locale stuff is bugridden at its core, never really tested.

My direct questions are:

	Where did X3J11 get the input for these examples?

	Are they didactic only, or are they intended to show real use
	of the localization features?

I would appreciate pointers to how this can be updated, as well.

--
[Erik Naggum]					     <enag@ifi.uio.no>
Naggum Software, Oslo, Norway			   <erik@naggum.uu.no>

peter@world.std.com (Peter Salus) (02/15/91)

In article <ENAG.91Feb13234959@holmenkollen.ifi.uio.no> enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) writes:
>This concerns the ANSI C standard.  The localeconv function has some
>examples on page 111.  I'm concerned with the specific entry on line 4
>of that page.  It says something about Norway.  I live in Norway.
>
>According to this example, Norwegians write "kr1234,56" when they mean
>1,234.56 units of local currency.  According to this example, they
>also write "kr1234,56-" when they mean -1,234.56 units of local
>currency.
>
>I wonder how this managed to get into a standard in the year 1989.
>After spending a few days asking friends, and them their fathers, I my
>friends in the Norwegian Standards Association, the uniform reply is
>"that went out of recommended use more than 20 years ago".  In 1968 NS
>4133 (Norwegian Standard for Letters and other Documents, Writing and
>Layout), the international currency code "NOK" is recommended for all
>international trade and communication, and is preferred for domestic
>use, as well.  "kr" was still allowed, but deprecated, as one would

The interesting thing is that NS4133 is in line with ISO.  ISO3166
(Codes for the Representation of names of countries) and ISO4217
(Codes for the representation of currencies and funds) call for
NOK for Norwegian Krone.  ISO4217 is maintained by the BSI in
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom, which I find funny as the ISO
designation is GB (and GBP), not UK.

Peter

--
The difference between practice and theory in practice is always
greater than the difference between practice and theory in theory.

domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) (02/16/91)

[Note that I'm making an attempt to divert this discussion into
comp.std.internat]

(Erik Naggum) writes:
> This concerns the ANSI C standard.  The localeconv function has some
> examples on page 111.  I'm concerned with the specific entry on line 4
> of that page.  It says something about Norway.  I live in Norway.
>
> According to this example, Norwegians write "kr1234,56" when they mean
> 1,234.56 units of local currency.  According to this example, they
> also write "kr1234,56-" when they mean -1,234.56 units of local
> currency.
>
> I wonder how this managed to get into a standard in the year 1989.
> After spending a few days asking friends, and them their fathers, I my
> friends in the Norwegian Standards Association, the uniform reply is
> "that went out of recommended use more than 20 years ago".  In 1968 NS
> 4133 (Norwegian Standard for Letters and other Documents, Writing and
> Layout), the international currency code "NOK" is recommended...
> international trade and communication, and is preferred for domestic
> [and so on]
>
> I'm not impressed.  One is led to believe that whatever else they say
> on localization is also grossly out of date, and subsequently that the
> whole locale stuff is bugridden at its core, never really tested.

Well, yes.  It is fair to say that internationalization issues were
introduced to both the X3J11 and the POSIX working groups rather late in
the day, with the result that ANSI X3-159 (C) and ANSI/IEEE 1003.1
(POSIX operating system interface) are rather light on
internationalization-related content.  This lightness is likely to be
redressed in two forthcoming standards, the X3J16 C++ work, and the
POSIX 1003.2 standard (shell and utilities): the internationalization
lobby was able to get at these projects sufficiently early in their
development to ensure that internationalization issues are considered at
every turn.  Well, most turns.  Well, a good proportion of turns.  It is
also the case that the 1990 version of 1003.1 (which is the same thing
as ISO 9945-1:1990) says a bit more about internationalization than the
1988 edition, and that the next edition of the C standard will also pay
more attention to the issue, thanks to much work by Japan and Nordic
countries, among others.  (Sadly, ISO 9899:1990, the first edition of the
international standard for C, has the same technical content as ANSI
X3-159.)

As for testing, where do you get things tested?  In the marketplace,
that's where.  Unfortunately, there was very little prior art for X3J11
and POSIX workers to standardize, and what prior art there was had known
shortcomings -- for example in the handling (or lack of handling) of
wide characters.  As a result, much of what the standardizers did was to
try to make sure that practical fixes to known problems were not
precluded in the future, rather than trying to come up with fixes at
once.  I believe POSIX did fairly well in this respect.  I'm not so sure
about C.  A word of praise here for X/Open, which has thrown a lot of
resource at the issue.  But X/Open has to learn that standards working
groups do not respond well to being told that a proposal must be
accepted unchanged or not at all.

> My direct questions are:
>
> 	Where did X3J11 get the input for these examples?

The point is that X3J11 set out to create an American National Standard.
Should they be expected to know about Norway?  Probably not.  It's just
rather a shame that they claimed to, because it creates a very bad
impression with those who know better.  It happens that the working
group rules would have allowed participation by Norweigian companies,
but what Norweigian company would want to spend money on the creation
of an American standard?  Try selling that idea to your management.
In general, I wish more people around the world in general, and in
America in particular, knew about such things as ISO 4217, Codes for the
representation of currencies and funds.  But they don't.

People may, if you're lucky, know about their local conventions (don't
rely on it though -- how many Norweigians know of the existence of NS
4133, I wonder?)  This means that the right place for the definition of
such things is in their target market (or ``locale'' as standards
people have it).  The 1990 edition of the POSIX.1 standard has annexes
addressing this issue -- including a Danish example created by the
Danish standards body.  The internationalization rapporteur group of
the ISO POSIX working group is trying to make sure that POSIX
internationalization facilities do not preclude the definition of any
locale that anybody, anywhere might reasonably require.  The more
people who get in touch with us and tell us what we're doing wrong, the
happier we'll be.  (Yes, I'm the UK rapporteur, but take this posting
as individual comment.)

> 	Are they didactic only, or are they intended to show real use
> 	of the localization features?

Obviously, didactic only -- intended as an example, since the text says
``may well be used'', rather than ``shall be used''.  A dangerous
example, though: implementors are inclined to take anthing that appears
in a standard as gospel.  Let me know as soon as someone tries to sell
you a compiler with this example cast into its libraries...

> I would appreciate pointers to how this can be updated, as well.

Personally, I would not bother trying to fix the ANSI standard.  Get in
touch with your national standards body, obtain pointers to those
associated with ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG14 (C language), and take it up with
them so as to make sure that the problem, if it exists in the current
edition (I'm told it's out) of ISO 9899, is fixed in the next, or in an
corrigendum or addendum.
--
Dominic Dunlop

rex@aussie.COM (Rex Jaeschke) (02/17/91)

> Sender: enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum)
>
> This concerns the ANSI C standard.  The localeconv function has some
> examples on page 111.  I'm concerned with the specific entry on line 4
> of that page.  It says something about Norway.  I live in Norway.

First, to the importance of this: The part of the standard document you
cite is in an example.  EXAMPLES ARE NOT PART OF THE STANDARD.  If an
example (or footnote or anything in the Rationale) contradicts something
in the standard proper, the standard proper wins.  If nothing is said in
the standard proper, the example (etc) is simply a possible
guideline/tutorial which, as you appear to believe, is incorrect or, at
least, out of date. So, from a validation aspect, `It doesn't matter.'
If, however, you are correct, it should be fixed. Derek Jones of the UK is
the Project Editor for the Normative Adendum being produced by ISO C WG14.
I shall bring this to his attention to see if it can be fixed by him.

As I recall, most (if not all) of the locale stuff relating to currency in
locales was researched by IBM's X3J11 reps (who, by the way, came from IBM
Canada).  Others may have contributed and/or confirmed all this.  I,
personally, did not yet I still voted to accept it in the final document.
I have no expertise or interest in this particular area as I'm sure many
others voting did not either.  There comes a point in any such venture
where you must trust people to do `the right thing'.  Knowing the IBM reps
well I trust they did what they thought was the right thing at the time
they researched it and so I stand by their efforts and my vote.  Hindsight
is the most exacting science and we can also improve something.

Also note that it was unlikely anyone working on ANSI C had a vested
interest in the Norgegian marketplace at that time.  We did, however, try
to accomodate both European and Asian cultures with locales, etc., as best
as we knew how and by cooperating with their suggestions and requests.  I
am not personally aware of any direct input from Norway either at the ANSI
C or ISO C level re this or any other issue.  If Norway has a standards
body why aren't they participating in ISO C? Denmark is and they are
concerned about their specific alphabet issues.

> I'm not impressed.  One is led to believe that whatever else they say
> on localization is also grossly out of date, and subsequently that the
> whole locale stuff is bugridden at its core, never really tested.

This is a very extreme position. You are assuming locales are trashed just
because the example has a problem. The standard does not require any
implementor to provide any locales beyond "C". I'm sure that if you
provided a Norwegian locale and did it `the right way' your customers will
thank you for it.

I may be reading into this something that isn't there but it sounds like
`The damned US is ignoring the rest of the world again.' In any event I'd
like to publicly state that having been heavily involved with X3J11 from
about the 4th or 5th meeting on I never once saw evidence of the committee
as a whole trying to subvert any attempt to provide reasonable support for
non-USA, non-English cultures. The addition of locales and multibyte
primitives delayed the standard probably 2 years but we did it anyway.

And, FYI, although I may be the US international rep, I am an Australian
citizen.

BTW, The Danish Standards Assoc. has done a LOT of work on defining a
Danish National Locale. Their ISO C rep is very much involved with ISO
POSIX which is also looking at standardizing locales.

Rex

Rex Jaeschke     |  Journal of C Language Translation  | C Users Journal
(703) 860-0091   |        2051 Swans Neck Way          | DEC PROFESSIONAL
rex@aussie.COM   |     Reston, Virginia 22091, USA     | Programmers Journal
Convener of the Numerical C Extensions Group (NCEG)

enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) (02/17/91)

Quotes are from that article.

First, thanks for an elaborate answer, Rex.

> Examples are not part of the standard.

I did overlook that rather important piece of information.  Sorry.
There are several implications from this, some of which you note.

> I shall bring this to his [Derek Jones] attention to see if it can
> be fixed by him.

I appreciate that.

> I have no expertise or interest in this particular area as I'm sure many
> others voting did not either.

The whole locale stuff is botched, in my opinion.  It seems that too
few people did have any real interest in this.  The solution proposed
is very cumbersome, and using it in all its ramifications basically
requires a tutorial or at least a lot of example code.  I haven't
looked very hard, so I would appreciate pointers to such things if
they do exist.

> Also note that it was unlikely anyone working on ANSI C had a vested
> interest in the Norgegian marketplace at that time. ... I am not
> personally aware of any direct input from Norway either at the ANSI
> C or ISO C level re this or any other issue.

Then why was Norway chosen for the example?  Norwegians tend to think
that Norway is terribly important for world affairs in general, but I
(a Norwegian only with respect to the longitude and latitude of my
office and home, a regrettable accident) am not of that opinion.  I do
think, however, that if an example is chosen, it should be correct and
relevant.  This is not the case with one prominently chosen country in
the example.

> If Norway has a standards body why aren't they participating in ISO
> C?

Because I wasn't there at the time.  Seriously, I have contacts inside
the Norwegian Standards Association, and I'm trying to figure out why
we are not represented in ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2 (character set issues), or
why Norway does not have anybody officially working with SGML, or why
some of the special things we have in this country invariably fail to
show up in important international standards.  Norwegians are soi
disant individualists, but "individualist" seems to mean "different
from everybody else" rather than "the way I think is best".  (There is
a big difference.)  (Discussions of that in soc.culture.nordic, pls.)
There are, however, limits to how much I can do.  I like ANSI C, and I
was just recently made aware of the efforts by ISO to adopt it.  I run
a one-man consulting company, and I do have to make a living on top of
all this involvement, too.  (Besides, slowly earning that university
degree is not any less demanding.)  I think it's important and inter-
esting; that's why I do all these things.  Few others seem to think
it's worth it.  Not my fault.  And, I _am_ trying to fix it.  (Please
note that ISO work is unpaid, volunteer effort, and that the funds
available to travel to meetings all over the world has to come from
somewhere.  I'm not going to play altruist and invest my own hard-
earned money in travel budgets for ISO.  My time, however, is avail-
able for whatever I like to do -- that's why I'm self-employed.  Other
people I've talked to about doing something about the regrettable
state of affairs always resort to arguments about "funding", i.e.
getting someone to give them full salary for the time spent, which
means that they are not really interested.  The other problem is that
the number and complexity of the strings attached to "grants" would
choke me.)

> You are assuming locales are trashed just because the example has a
> problem.

Well, no, but it could look like that.  I'm sorry I didn't provide
more background in my first posting.

> The standard does not require any implementor to provide any locales
> beyond "C".  I'm sure that if you provided a Norwegian locale and
> did it `the right way' your customers will thank you for it.

I'm working on it.  Don't hold your breath, though.

> I may be reading into this something that isn't there but it sounds
> like `The damned US is ignoring the rest of the world again.'

It's not in there.  I don't think it could sound like it, either.  And
I'm not going to into apologetic-mode in defense of the U.S., but I
would like to state for the record that I would never say anything
like "the damned U.S.".

> The addition of locales and multibyte primitives delayed the
> standard probably 2 years but we did it anyway.

For which I'm not particularly thankful, but never mind.

If I can get to be an ISO rep without _losing_ money on it, we may
have a chance to meet sometime.  With the hysterical attitudes we have
against people not employed by the Government and under their control
in this country, it might take some time.

Again, thanks for your elaboration.

--

rex@aussie.COM (Rex Jaeschke) (02/18/91)

> The whole locale stuff is botched, in my opinion.  It seems that too

You still have not said in what way. Give a specific example please.

> few people did have any real interest in this.  The solution proposed
> is very cumbersome, and using it in all its ramifications basically
> requires a tutorial or at least a lot of example code.  I haven't
> looked very hard, so I would appreciate pointers to such things if
> they do exist.

I expect that most programmers will fall into 2 main camps: those that will
use the "C" locale getting the behavior they have been used to for years;
and those who use an entire local locale.  That is, they will not likely
use composite locales.  In the latter case I expect implementers will
provide a compiler option to make their own locale the default so
programmers won't even have to call setlocale.  (This might not be
sanctioned by Standard C but if you aren't interested in portability so
what?)

If you want to mix locales then I agree it can get messy.  But the simple
fact is that places near (and not so near) international borders DO HAVE
composite ways of doing things.  For example, one Swiss location might use
composites made up from France, Switzerland, and Italy while another might
use German and/or Austrian.  I think the ability to have composite locales
simply reflects the real world.

As to a tutorial, I think the definition of locales was intentionally left
vague so we did not arbitrarily constrain implementors. As more experience
is gained it will be documented.

PJ Plauger, ANSI C secretary and ISO C convenor, played a significant role
in our support for internationalization. He is now an independent
consultant and recently, finished writing a complete portable C runtime
library (in C, of course). He is licensing this to implementors. This will
all be documented in his upcoming book from Prentice-Hall and the source
will be available `at reasonable cost'. One thing he has spent quite some
time on is locales. Basically, he spent lot's of time looking at ways to
implement them given the direction of ANSI C. He has suceeded in doing so
and learned a lot along the way. He documents much of his efforts in his
column in the March 1991 issue of my publication `The Journal of C Language
Translation.' And I expect there will be a second article probably in June.

I am not personally aware of many groups working hard on locale
definitions. One I do know is DEC. Their PDP-11 C compiler group supports
quite an elaborate set. I mentioned the Danish national effort last
posting. I suspect IBM, H-P, AT&T, and Unisys all have significant efforts
in this area given their general interest in internationalization. Note too
that all these companies were represented on ANSI C and I recall seeing
input from them during deliberations.

Rex

Rex Jaeschke     |  Journal of C Language Translation  | C Users Journal
(703) 860-0091   |        2051 Swans Neck Way          | DEC PROFESSIONAL
rex@aussie.COM   |     Reston, Virginia 22091, USA     | Programmers Journal
Convener of the Numerical C Extensions Group (NCEG)
X3J11 member and US International Representative to ISO C (WG14)

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb16.140510.22226@tsa.co.uk> domo@ukc.ac.uk (Dominic Dunlop) writes:
>Well, yes.  It is fair to say that internationalization issues were
>introduced to both the X3J11 and the POSIX working groups rather late in
>the day, with the result that ANSI X3-159 (C) and ANSI/IEEE 1003.1
>(POSIX operating system interface) are rather light on
>internationalization-related content.  This lightness is likely to be
>redressed in two forthcoming standards, the X3J16 C++ work, and the
>POSIX 1003.2 standard (shell and utilities): the internationalization
>lobby was able to get at these projects sufficiently early in their
>development to ensure that internationalization issues are considered at
>every turn.  Well, most turns.  Well, a good proportion of turns.  It is
>also the case that the 1990 version of 1003.1 (which is the same thing
>as ISO 9945-1:1990) says a bit more about internationalization than the
>1988 edition, and that the next edition of the C standard will also pay
>more attention to the issue, thanks to much work by Japan and Nordic
>countries, among others.  (Sadly, ISO 9899:1990, the first edition of the
>international standard for C, has the same technical content as ANSI
>X3-159.)

I take strong exception to what Dominic has posted on this issue.
In fact, approval of the final C standard for ratification was delayed
for quite a long time due to the additional work by X3J11 necessary to
accommodate legitimate concerns for "internationalization" issues.
Coordination with various internationalization working groups was part
of this process.  So far as I am aware, the C standard was the first
major programming language standard to specifically address these
issues.  It is not "sad", but rather encouraging, that ISO 9899 adopted
the internationalization mechanisms (wide character and localization)
that had been jointly worked out for ANS X3.159.  It was recognized
that these mechanisms form the basis for extensions to better address
specific international localization concerns, and that it was neither
necessary nor desirable for X3.159 to attempt to further address these.
It is appropriate for WG14, however, and indeed work is in progress to
prepare normative addenda to ISO 9899 that may further address these
issues.  Note that the input from "Japan and Nordic countries" started
with participation in the preparation of the joint ANSI/ISO C standard,
contrary to the impression that one might get from Dominic's posting
that this input was missing during preparation of ANS X3.159-1989 and
IS 9899:1990.

I know that as an X3J11 member I personally spent a SIGNIFICANT amount
of my time working on these issues.  Any implication that they were
slighted therefore really annoys me.

>but what Norweigian company would want to spend money on the creation
>of an American standard?

X3.159 is certainly more than "an American standard", as is demonstrated
by the adoption of its technical content unchanged as the international
standard.  It was generally considered by the X3J11 membership that we
were working toward a SINGLE technical specification for C for EVERYONE.
There was active participation in X3J11 by many individuals from non-
American institutions, and during the public reviews of drafts of the
proposed standard we received considerable commentary from many nations.

P.S.  I am not speaking on behalf of X3J11 or ANSI here, although I tend
to think they would agree with me on this.

domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) (02/20/91)

In article <15241@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> I take strong exception to what Dominic has posted on this issue.

Oh dear.  This seems to be one of those threads where everybody upsets
everybody else, whether intentionally or not.  And I certainly wouldn't
want to upset Doug.

> In fact, approval of the final C standard for ratification was delayed
> for quite a long time due to the additional work by X3J11 necessary to
> accommodate legitimate concerns for "internationalization" issues.

I'm aware of that.

> Coordination with various internationalization working groups was part
> of this process.  So far as I am aware, the C standard was the first
> major programming language standard to specifically address these
> issues.

Right.  C, if you like, got ``fingered'' by the international community
to be the test-bed for the provision of useful internationalization
support in prgramming languages.  So all those lucky people working on
the standard got to feel their way through a poorly-illuminated and
unexplored territory strewn with lumpy obstacles and pitfalls.  It's the
kind of process which is bound to attract accusations of poor
performance after the event from those with the benefit of hindsight.
Even if all you get wrong is Norweigian conventions in an example.
It's like the single spelling error which makes a certain class of
person reject an entire and otherwise useful document.

I'm sorry if I appeared to be such a commentator.  Apart from anything
else, it's embarrasing to be found out in making such a glib criticism!

> >but what Norweigian company would want to spend money on the creation
> >of an American standard?
>
> X3.159 is certainly more than "an American standard", as is demonstrated
> by the adoption of its technical content unchanged as the international
> standard.  It was generally considered by the X3J11 membership that we
> were working toward a SINGLE technical specification for C for EVERYONE.
> There was active participation in X3J11 by many individuals from non-
> American institutions, and during the public reviews of drafts of the
> proposed standard we received considerable commentary from many nations.

Yes, but.  As long as a standardization effort is PERCEIVED as American
(perceived, perhaps, by the same type of person as those who are
over-sensitive to spelling errors), it is my contention that many
non-Americans who could usefully participate will not participate --
hence my point about justifying participation to management.  Any
standard developed under the auspices of ANSI (or the IEEE, for that
matter) appears to be an American standard.  Happily for both C and
POSIX, a number of interested people and organizations from around the
world have been able to see through that preconception, and have made
useful contributions -- as, indeed, have many inside the U.S.
--
Dominic Dunlop

Chuck.Phillips@FtCollins.NCR.COM (Chuck.Phillips) (02/26/91)

Rex> PJ Plauger, ANSI C secretary and ISO C convenor, played a significant role
Rex> in our support for internationalization. He is now an independent
Rex> consultant and recently, finished writing a complete portable C runtime
Rex> library (in C, of course). He is licensing this to implementors. This will
Rex> all be documented in his upcoming book from Prentice-Hall and the source
Rex> will be available `at reasonable cost'.

Not fair!  What is the name of the book?  When is it expected to be
available?  When will we know the "reasonable cost" of the source?

If the cost for the source is _really_ reasonable (i.e. inexpensive) I
could see a lot of non-implementors buying it and using it with various
"ANSI compliant" compilers from various vendors to ease porting.  It's no
fun when two supposedly compliant compilers yield different behavior.
Getting locales right appears (to me) to be an especially tricky problem.

#include<std/disclaimer.h>
--
Chuck Phillips  MS440
NCR Microelectronics 			chuck.phillips%ftcollins.ncr.com

rex@aussie.COM (Rex Jaeschke) (03/03/91)

> Rex> PJ Plauger, ANSI C secretary and ISO C convenor, played a significant role

> Not fair!  What is the name of the book?  When is it expected to be
> available?  When will we know the "reasonable cost" of the source?
>
> If the cost for the source is _really_ reasonable (i.e. inexpensive) I
> could see a lot of non-implementors buying it and using it with various
> "ANSI compliant" compilers from various vendors to ease porting.  It's no
> fun when two supposedly compliant compilers yield different behavior.
> Getting locales right appears (to me) to be an especially tricky problem.

While I've known for quite a while he was doing a portable library to be
made available under license I was not aware until the week of my posting
it was going to be documented and made available to the public as such.
When I find out I shall try and remember to post the info here. Right now
I don't know the answers and I'm just as interested as you are.