[comp.std.c] universality of Latin-1

erik@srava.sra.co.jp (Erik M. van der Poel) (04/10/91)

I'm directing followups to comp.std.internat.

John Gilmore writes:
> And my windows all use ISO Latin 1.  If Torbj|rn would send the
> umlauted letter in that standardized character set, it would look right
> in both the States and in Sweden.

Have you ever tried to send yourself a message in Latin-1? Did it
work? And even if *you* have a reasonable version of sendmail (one
that doesn't strip the 8th bit), what makes you so certain that
Torbj|rn's message and anyone else's won't pass through a site that
*does* strip the 8th bit?

Also, what's so "standardized" about ISO Latin-1? What makes it more
standard than, say, Latin-2?
-
--
Erik M. van der Poel                                      erik@sra.co.jp
Software Research Associates, Inc., Tokyo, Japan     TEL +81-3-3234-2692